• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the obsession of loud music in your car?

CamWhoaaCam

What seems to be completely lost is volume versus audio quality.

It's one thing to have a beasty bass, it's quite another when it sounds like the paper speaker and the cardboard rear deck are just vibrating with no recognizable sound. I laugh at those. But I'll bet they think it sounds good!

The notion of actually adjusting the sound based on the source and ambient noise, say with an Eq, well, that's another story.

• Pie 1

On 5/27/2023 at 8:06 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

Obviously I was once a teenager and I used to listen to loud music in the car, but I have noticed that most of these loud thumping cars/trucks are grown adults.

What gets me is when they pull up to a red light in traffic and just force everyone else to listen to that loud trunk rattling sound.smh

Is loud music still cool for adults?

I have got to the point that sometimes I just cut all music off and try to focus more on traffic. As I have aged I listen less and less. 

Grown adult here and I still rock my car system. Hell, my subwoofer itself is about to turn 20 years old. However, while it does get loud and thumps nicely I puruse balanced audio and I've upgraded the other speakers as well to match. I also run EQ and have everything time-aligned for proper (as best you can get in a car) imaging and soundstage, not just trying to shake everything in the vicinity.

I've also been teaching the HS kid next door and all of his buddies about how audio/car audio actually works; gain structures, tonal balance and how to use frequency sweeps to set EQ, speaker selection, how little wattage actually matters, etc. Just last night I helped a kid tune his truck system to gain clean headroom and reduce electrical strain while getting the volume he wants, and the HS neighbor kid's whole crew of friends now come to me with their car audio questions. I'm hearing reports that some of them are even taking their new knowledge and audio appreciation and starting to build themselves home audio systems... wonderful to see the hobby grow like that.

Bottom line is that I love all forms of audio and want people to enjoy it responsibily, both for their own sake (hearing) and those around them. I don't listen nearly as loud as I used to and I always turn down at stoplights and when passing cemetaries but they'll pry my system out of my cold, dead hands.

It's kind of subjective I guess.  I think the insane bass you can hear blocks away is pretty overboard but it really only annoys me if it's like 2am and people drive through the neighborhood.  I don't really like a setup like that where ALL you hear is bass.  I do LOVE bass, hearing that double bass while playing some Gojira or those bass lines from Iron Maiden for instance, but I want to hear EVERYTHING and that isn't always requiring something to be really loud.  I've been in cars with people that have the treble all the way up and no bass at all before as well lol.    

14 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

If playing music in your vehicle at 80db is loud enough to overcome engine and traffic noise then what value (besides being a dick) is there in running it up to 130db?

I have a neighbor down the road who just sits in his yard and play loud music from his car all throughout the day and especially at night on the weekends.

Im surprised his car battery is still working.

On 5/31/2023 at 6:43 PM, cookinbrak said:

I'm a guitarist. Everything loud. And I'm in my 60's.

bass player here. through most the 90s and early 2000s i had a 600W stack with 2x12s and a 30" cabinet. 

of course i don't need anything that big anymore. but i think my ears are still ringing so now i have to crank everything because i can't hear poo.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

bass player here. through most the 90s and early 2000s i had a 600W stack with 2x12s and a 30" cabinet. 

of course i don't need anything that big anymore. but i think my ears are still ringing so now i have to crank everything because i can't hear poo.

Same. Was listening to this today. Raining, so the windows were up.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Same. Was listening to this today. Raining, so the windows were up.

Love it! Love what I've heard from the new album. One of my all time favorite bands and I love the attention they and especially Nuno has been getting.

Ive always thought that lyrically they were about the most clever there is and their songwriting  in general is among the best ever.

3 sides to every story is one of my all time favorite albums and have about a 2 week spell every year where I just keep playing it. (Btw, compare the solo on peacemaker die with the solo on rise....people went crazy over rise but he's been doing that kind of thing for a long time. No one should be surprised)

Favorite solo ever is the back half of Rockabye Baby on the first album.

Starts at about 3:06. Rest of the song is some big ballad that isn't typical of them even though their are most famous for that one ballad.

Anyways, that solo makes me tear up about every time I hear it. I told my family I want to be listening to that when i die. They think thats kind of weird but whateva.

I made this thread because I have a weird neighbor down the street who plays loud music all throughout the day.

Woke me up this morning playing loud music at 2:00 am. I legit think he is mentally retarded. I guess this is what people do when they live in moms basement with no responsibilities.

Get a job kid!