• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL insider: Brian Burns' extension could be close to Myles Garrett's deal

2 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

WTH? lol, it doesnt take much for you to jump off of a cliff does it? Did you miss my first post where I said I like Burns as a pass rusher, but he is not on the same level with the big guns at the position.

He was supposed to develop since we drafted him but the improvement has been marginal. Hopefully the new staff can get the most out of him, as the last idiots had him dropping in coverage on a regular basis. 

I am excited for the season to start as well, and I hope it is not a long season as we have had too many of those these past few years....

I get where you’re coming from dude, I will say I disagree with you at the same time respectfully. Burns has 100% developed over his rookie contract, both in his play style and body. Him dropping 12.5 sacks last year clearly didn’t impress anyone but he did this in his age 24 season. Not only has he already improved but it’s very reasonable for him to develop throughout his first contract due to him coming into the league so young. Burns floor is currently 12.5 sacks, his ceiling is a 15+ sack guy, you pay those guys the bag. Especially given his trajectory of finally going into a proper 3-4 defense, not Riveras fraud 3-4. Burns in the correct role will prove to be even scarier using his elite burst and bend to terrorize QBS and playing a 3-4 LB will allow him to play to his more natural role in run defense allowing him to be a complete player on the defense.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Pup McBarky said:

Then there are those of us who genuinely like the guy, think he's a good player, and want him around for a fair price. I'll be happy as a clam if that happens. But I also know how this stuff works and like others have said, by passing on the massive bounty the Rams offered for him, we painted ourselves in a corner with his agent. Oh well. Seems no matter who's in charge, we seem to overpay for certain players.

Flip side is if we accept the Rams offer does Evero want to coach here while we rebuild our pass rush from scratch when he can take an offer from another team that isn't lacking at least one really good pass rusher? I hear you completely but there's no such thing as a truly fair price in this current version of the NFL for either of the two most sought after positions (QB and DE). We just have to hope we get lucky enough to time it right to have both without sinking our cap.

• Pie 1

I'll just ask this...

Who has been his coaches for most of the time here?

Who are his coaches now?

Is he likely to get better or worse from here on?

My answer is, pay the man now because he'll never be as cheap as he is right now.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 5

14 minutes ago, frankw said:

Flip side is if we accept the Rams offer does Evero want to coach here while we rebuild our pass rush from scratch when he can take an offer from another team that isn't lacking at least one really good pass rusher?

Good question. No way to know. It's entirely possible that keeping Burns here was part of getting Evero. It's also possible it had nothing to do with it. Evero's defense in Denver was pretty good without a dominant pass rusher. 

5 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Considering where the cap ceiling is going…. That is a very fair deal both ways. 

Thank you for making sure to mention this early in the thread.

We regularly see folks apoplectic when discussing the later years of a player's new deal without taking into consideration the regular increases to the salary cap.

Can't wait for Burns to be locked down contractually for the next 3 - 5!! 😄

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'll just ask this...

Who has been his coaches for most of the time here?

Who are his coaches now?

Is he likely to get better or worse from here on?

My answer is, pay the man now because he'll never be as cheap as he is right now.

Yeah no more needs to be said. 12.5 sacks out of position (4-3 instead of 3-4) with Rhule coaching half of the season. In theory 12.5 should be his floor with a better staff in the 3-4 where he fits more naturally. Pay the man and try to find a good player to lock down the other edge. 

Pay the man. He’s gotten noticeably better pretty much every year. Started out poor against the run, now he’s decidedly NOT a liability against the run. Better than average. His sack numbers (since that’s all some care about) have increased and will only increase with better coaching and scheme. He’s reliable and a leader of the defense.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

53 minutes ago, shaq said:

I get where you’re coming from dude, I will say I disagree with you at the same time respectfully. Burns has 100% developed over his rookie contract, both in his play style and body. Him dropping 12.5 sacks last year clearly didn’t impress anyone but he did this in his age 24 season. Not only has he already improved but it’s very reasonable for him to develop throughout his first contract due to him coming into the league so young. Burns floor is currently 12.5 sacks, his ceiling is a 15+ sack guy, you pay those guys the bag. Especially given his trajectory of finally going into a proper 3-4 defense, not Riveras fraud 3-4. Burns in the correct role will prove to be even scarier using his elite burst and bend to terrorize QBS and playing a 3-4 LB will allow him to play to his more natural role in run defense allowing him to be a complete player on the defense.

I hope this is what happens. 

• Beer 1

The other point to keep in mind is that we have tons of cap room and a rookie qb which will set us up nicely capwise for the next 4 years at least. If you're not going to spend the extra money on your best players who also happen to play the most premium positions, what's the point? 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1