• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL insider: Brian Burns' extension could be close to Myles Garrett's deal

10 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Burns is the 2nd best DE in Panthers history. Let that sink in.

You haters need to relax and find another player to hate on. Burns ain't going anywhere might as well embrace him.

No he's not, at least not totally. He's the second most athletic and maybe someday that translates to a complete package on the field, but not at this point. CJ and Rucker are both above him based on consistency, ability in both the run and pass game, and longevity.

• Pie 3

20 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You haters need to relax and find another player to hate on. Burns ain't going anywhere might as well embrace him.

I dont hate him at all. He is no Peppers but he is a very solid player that we will pay a huge ransom for when he comes due. I dont know any other way around it though as I would not want to lose him even though I wish we didnt have to pay him one of the top DE's in the league.

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Love Burns and think he deserves to get paid, but atm he is at least 4th, maybe even 5th if you count Reggie White

9 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I’m with you in general in this thread but I’d still have to put Burns behind CJ and Hardy and maybe Rucker.  Still plenty of time for him to rise in those ranks though. 

• Pie 1

CJ is very underrated in our history. He was as solid and reliable a DE as you could want...and he got paid as much. well, overpaid, but that was because hurney panicked. 

Hardy has always been a headcase, but the guy was an absolute beast when he kept his poo together enough to stay on the field. 

Burns has a bit to accomplish to surpass these two, but I'm hoping that with this new coaching staff and system that he catapults into Peppers territory.

Ruckers is a legend too. Great counterpart for Peppers. Something we're still needing for Burns. 

• Pie 3

Remember when Charles Johnson got paid and reset the DE Market? He did pretty well, good enough to almost live up to the contract. 

I think that Burns is better at this point in his career than Johnson was, and I don't think he'll get a contract that resets the market. He's a pro-bowl Pass Rusher. Those guys get paid regardless of who the team is. If we don't give him a contract, someone else will. He's more valuable to us because we have 0 other proven pass rushers on our team. 

The cap is also going up each year. I don't blink at these contracts anymore. We actually have a GM/FO that is capable of working the money into future void years, something Hurney and Gettleman were completely incapable of. 

Pay him a top 5 DE contract this season. Watch that become a top 10 DE contract next offseason. Then watch it become a top 15 contract the next year. By then he still won't even be 30, he'll be 28 and up for a potential extension. 

We may end up overpaying him, but pass rusher is one of the three positions you overpay for, OT and QB being the other two. 

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Pay him a top 5 DE contract this season. Watch that become a top 10 DE contract next offseason. Then watch it become a top 15 contract the next year. By then he still won't even be 30, he'll be 28 and up for a potential extension. 

We may end up overpaying him, but pass rusher is one of the three positions you overpay for, OT and QB being the other two. 

true on all of that. this is one of those contracts you just do because it's a premium position, arguably the most important/valuable next to QB. LT is close behind it. If you've got a top performer, you keep them and pay them accordingly and you know that, like you said, a top 5 paid at the position will be top 10 the next year. same with QB. The market is constantly on the uptick.

• Pie 2

48 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Remember when Charles Johnson got paid and reset the DE Market? He did pretty well, good enough to almost live up to the contract. 

I think that Burns is better at this point in his career than Johnson was, and I don't think he'll get a contract that resets the market. He's a pro-bowl Pass Rusher. Those guys get paid regardless of who the team is. If we don't give him a contract, someone else will. He's more valuable to us because we have 0 other proven pass rushers on our team. 

The cap is also going up each year. I don't blink at these contracts anymore. We actually have a GM/FO that is capable of working the money into future void years, something Hurney and Gettleman were completely incapable of. 

And you can always rework it.   The main thing I hope we are conscious of especially in light of the cmac deal is how long and how much guaranteed money is at stake.  He is going to get paid, he has all the leverage we are just hoping its not some crazy ass mega deal that could go sideways as we have seen a ton from this team. 

• Pie 1

On 5/28/2023 at 8:20 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

And people wonder why we have a weak fanbase.

Fans like this who want to get rid of the homegrown talent we built up for some damn picks who we might not hit on like we did with Burns. You don't trade the guys you built up! Those are the guys you keep!

How do you expect to build this defense if we trading our most talented player on defense.

Make it make sense!

Well 1st of all, I saw the writing on the wall that Cam and CMC could not sustain the physical abuse they were receiving.  I was correct.  2nd, Burns is above average but far from elite. . .best player on the team regardless or not.  

13 hours ago, KSpan said:

No he's not, at least not totally. He's the second most athletic and maybe someday that translates to a complete package on the field, but not at this point. CJ and Rucker are both above him based on consistency, ability in both the run and pass game, and longevity.

Yep. And I'd even put Mario over him for now, burns should pass him soon enough but Mario's career here was better than Burns' has been so far. And Hardy was a dumb fug but his peak was significantly better than what we've seen from Burns so far. Too bad it was so shortlived.