• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HONORING THE FALLEN....MEMORIAL DAY

ladypanther

4 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

As an older guy with children on the cusp adulthood you realize that a lot of the fallen are basically kids. Young guys and girls in the prime of their lives making the ultimate sacrifice.    

As my daughter turned 18 this year and my son 15, that has been weighing heavily on me. My great grandfather was in France during WW1 and he had just turned 18. He drove a mule team carrying supplies to the front and I remember him telling me that the mules were more valuable than he was -- in case of a gas attack he had to put the masks on the mules before he could put his own on. At the end of the war, the mules were loaded onto a train and he had to march back to the port.

The mules, of course, probably weren't going back to America, but probably to slaughterhouses to feed hungry French people after the war.

It was a grim, grim thing we sent his generation and the ones to come into. We should honor them by  truly working toward both peace and freedom.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I'll just saythay Memorial day both makes me sad and pisses me off because we send innocent kids into nightmare situations to do horrible things and many don't come back alive and few come back whole.

We send them in, especially these last nearly 20 years because the leadership of this country got 8bto a war they should never gave entered and now can't figure a way out of.

I appreciate the sacrificial spirit, but I don't appreciate a leadership that can't find a way to take them out of harm's way.

And I really don't appreciate the way the leadership of this country ignores and/or fights against the long term needs of these soldiers when they return.

Basically, fug this government. Best thing we can do to remember be the sacrifice of these soldiers is to stop sacrificing more.

Bring them all home dammit. Bring them home and take care of them. They deserve it. We don't deserve them.

Our foreign policy in the post-WWII era has been nothing short of disastrously atrocious.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1