• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At this point in time, who feels like we lost this trade?

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Definitely not me...

But the reality is those final judgements are a long way off.

Initial appearances:  Win/Win.  Both Bears and Panthers improved their situations due to this trade.

As you say, we may not know the full implications of the trade for several years, but Panthers fans know this franchise was essentially "dead in the water" without a franchise QB.  Bryce Young has given Panthers fans something we haven't had in years, HOPE.  That in itself is a big win in my book.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2

In addition to Bryce being the franchise quarterback, it also depends if Fields actually develops into one. He showed some flashes last year but not consistently as a passer. While DJ is a good receiver he won’t necessarily bail out poor QB play. We saw it here last year. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Yeah even if Bryce doesn’t pan out as we hope (and I think he will) I won’t ever call this trade a loss. Worth taking a shot on such an incredible talent at the most important position, especially after years of missing on veteran retreads.

It's a win-win because if Young is a bust we get a new GM.

2 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Agree. But, If you were GM do you make that trade? 

Yes, because the team desperately needs a QB, has for longer than most NFL careers last, only two players at the position looked likely to be long term answers at QB and anyone not high on qualudes expected them to go in the first two picks.

The trade is an absolute steal if Young performs as expected and worthy of the top pick in the draft. If he somehow bombs or (more likely) struggles to endure the physical punishment (remember, he's not old enough to get those calls. Yeah, still fug you Ed Hochuli), then it won't look great, but any big trade carries risks, and always will.

Every single GM worth a damn would trade next year's first, the year after that's second, and an outstanding young receiver entering his prime for a franchise QB, even teams that already have one, because it's the rarest and most valuable commodity in the NFL. It matters more to winning than any other single factor, so it's worth giving up a ton for, especially when you finally have assembled an offensive line that looks capable of protecting one.

Edited by 1of10Charnatives
  • Pie 1

15 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Nothing has changed so far. Just wait til Bryce throws his first pick. It will be “We got fleeced big time!”

Only a few of you will overreact like that. I mean y'all have been doing it since the beginning. Why would that change?

The rest know that he'll have some down moments, but the good ones will far outweigh the bad. We know he won't be perfect, but you know what? We happen to be excited anyways.

All I can say is it would suck to be on the side of the fence that isn't excited and is all glum about it.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Hell no we didn't lose the trade.

It was a steal if you ask me. It's basically our 1st next year. After next year we gain control of our 1st rd pick again.

When trading for the #1 pick I thought for sure we would be trading 3 1st. Fitt did a pretty good job of not overpaying. Trading Moore helped in that regard.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

The trade was the right move.  If we had traded burns for a haul to the rams the right move would have been to punt on this season play corral and we what happened. If he was good then we have lots of capital to build the team out. If he sucked we would have drafted maye or Williams and would still have had the draft capital to build out the team. When we decided we were keeping burns we decided we were going all in on a qb this year.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Initial appearances:  Win/Win.  Both Bears and Panthers improved their situations due to this trade.

As you say, we may not know the full implications of the trade for several years, but Panthers fans know this franchise was essentially "dead in the water" without a franchise QB.  Bryce Young has given Panthers fans something we haven't had in years, HOPE.  That in itself is a big win in my book.

Ultimately I pretty much agree with this. We desperately needed a QB, both from a roster perspective and an "excite the fanbase" perspective having struggled mightily at the position after Cam's shoulder went south and we correctly calculated that we were just sitting too low at #9 to land one of the top three prospects. So we jumped up the board and went all the way to #1 after determining that going to #3 was gonna end up costing us nearly as much anyway.

The Bears like Fields' potential and development and desperately needed to add talent around him. Could they have taken a pass rusher at #1? Sure. But what does that do to actually help the development of their young QB? So they ship #1 to us in exchange for a proven WR and multiple picks and take an OT to protect Fields at #10 after giving our #9 to Philly who were desperate for Jalen Carter.

On paper, both fanbase should be very happy right now. Time will tell how it all plays out on the field.

• Pie 2