• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dalvin not Cooking in Minnesota Anymore

RumHam

13 hours ago, Montsta said:

I would say sunsetting RB’s are getting the devaluation. Drafting a stud RB is a great idea still because they tend to acclimate to the NFL and produce early. The key is not to get sucked in and give them that contract. If I was an NFL GM I would draft a great RB, use him for 3-4 years, then trade him away for whatever I could get and call it a day. If he has a career year right before that big contract then great trade him away or take the comp pick when you lose him.

TLDR; Draft RB’s early, but never, ever sign them to big deal at end of rookie contract. 

I agree with your position: I wasn't speaking on my personal philosophy, I was saying it's too early to say that the league is devaluing running backs.  Value is tied not only to contract extensions, but to draft investments and teams taking running backs at 8th and 12th overall just a month ago is quite the costly investment.

On the money side, three teams may very well be getting ready to sign their running backs to big deals at the end of their rookie contracts: Giants (Barkley), Pollard (Cowboys), and Jacobs (Raiders).  Oftentimes the franchise tag is a prerequisite to a contract extension, but we'll have to see how it plays out in these cases.

7 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

His value was as a slot receiver ,our Wes Welker/Julian Edelmnen 

He would have been a great safety valve for BY If he didn't like his reads 

CMC would have been one of the best slot WR's in NFL history. I truly believe he would have been better at slot than he was at rb. Also he wouldn't have been injury prone due to not taking as many hits at slot.

Such a shame we didn't use him as a slot.