• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young is not ready to be a starting QB in the NFL

FutureDynasty

1 hour ago, Byrdman4real said:

Reich is too passive, that's why his offense is too. Team needed a younger more aggressive coach. 

Stiechen and stroud was always my preference. I'm just so sick of boring ass offensive football. Hope young and Reich can give us something exciting to watch at some point. That was not worth the 300 or so dollars we spent tonight.  If we're going to lose at least entertain me

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Fright said:

Watch his college film. Most of his throws are to dudes wide open. He doesn’t throw them open or thread needles. He can find the open guy, but they have to be super wide open. If he didn’t play for Bama he’d be a 5th round project. Stroud should have been the pick, but yano, single mom household with no super computer brain over analyzed bullshit. 

This is demonstrably false. He throws guys open a ton. He did it all the time at bama, It's all over his tape. Hell, he's doing it for us now, albeit at a much lower rate. The completion to Mingo at the end of the game, the ball was gone before Mingo even broke his route. Did the same thing to mingo last week on an out route to the sideline. Preseason game 3 the TD pass to Thielen was in the air before Thielen started his move outside then hit him in the face. Those are 3 off the top of my head, there have been more. 

It's like you guys just want him to fail just so you can be right so you make things up, I swear. Bryce's knocks coming out of college were he is a smol boi, his arm is average, and he would hold on to the ball too long at times.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

This is demonstrably false. He throws guys open a ton. He did it all the time at bama, It's all over his tape. Hell, he's doing it for us now, albeit at a much lower rate. The completion to Mingo at the end of the game, the ball was gone before Mingo even broke his route. Did the same thing to mingo last week on an out route to the sideline. Preseason game 3 the TD pass to Thielen was in the air before Thielen started his move outside then hit him in the face. Those are 3 off the top of my head, there have been more. 

It's like you guys just want him to fail just so you can be right so you make things up, I swear. Bryce's knocks coming out of college were he is a smol boi, his arm is average, and he would hold on to the ball too long at times.

I haven’t charted the play by play.  The eye test is alarming though.  Bryce has objectively and historically been awful through his first two starts.  Anyone calling it anything different has blinders on.  Maybe there’s something there we haven’t seen yet but if there isn’t this is a ridiculous and comical whiff by what is already a laughing stock of a franchise.

Edited by Newtcase

7 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

I haven’t charted the play by play.  The eye test is alarming though.  Bryce has objectively and historically been awful through his first two starts.  Anyone calling it anything different has blinders on.  Maybe there’s something there we haven’t seen yet but if there isn’t this is a ridiculous and comical whiff by what is already a laughing stock of a franchise.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you he's the next Tom Brady, the offense as a whole has looked bad, not just Bryce. The run scheme was abysmal tonight, The receivers didn't get open, Bryce held onto the ball way too long and tried to play hero ball, he missed plenty of makeable throws and it seemed like there was a disconnect between the entire receiver unit and Bryce. Offense just looked bad in general.

But to write him off after two games is completely asinine; Like he and the rest of the offense can't get better as the year goes on. Like he's not a rookie. The offense needs to gel more. I keep saying it's going to take half the season to really get the scheme going but apparently I'm screaming into the void.

1 hour ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

Pat Mahomes didn't start his first season. Rodgers didn't start till year 3.

Cam started training camp his rookie year as 3rd string and worked his way up during camp and preseason.

It's not about Rhule ignoring his rookie QB or his bs 50/50 reps for Baker and Darnold. It's about learning and earning your reps before being named the starter. The game is just too fast for Bryce as we saw these past two games.

Mahomes wasn't asked to earn the job. He was deliberately sat for a season. That used to be the norm, but these days it's relatively rare.

And sorry, but there was no way Newton wasn't starting his rookie year either. Hell, he looked horrible in preseason three but Rivera & company trotted him out for one series in preseason four and said "he's ready".

I had hoped that our free agent signing would make a difference, but Chark and Thielen don't appear to be the answer.  Young is being a rookie QB.   And dealing with players that are old or a rookie or JAG.  We don't have an elite WR that can help our rookie QB.  Our TE is slightly above average, and it looks as if our stud FA running back is JAG too. 

We hitched our wagon to Young and we are going to have to let this play out.  I do believe that with each week of experience Young is going to get better.  

Our defense is pretty damn good and we've been in the game going into the 4th quarter.  Young will get better.  Hopefully, by mid-season those late Quarter loses becomes wins. 

Sadly, this forum has gone downhill as everyone expects instant success when we draft a player.   The first sign of our rookie QB not meeting their personal expectations they want to label him a bust.  Just relax and watch him grow.  I do believe he will be successful in this league.  We have to give him time and we have to give him some elite weapons. 

26 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'm not going to sit here and tell you he's the next Tom Brady, the offense as a whole has looked bad, not just Bryce. The run scheme was abysmal tonight, The receivers didn't get open, Bryce held onto the ball way too long and tried to play hero ball, he missed plenty of makeable throws and it seemed like there was a disconnect between the entire receiver unit and Bryce. Offense just looked bad in general.

But to write him off after two games is completely asinine; Like he and the rest of the offense can't get better as the year goes on. Like he's not a rookie. The offense needs to gel more. I keep saying it's going to take half the season to really get the scheme going but apparently I'm screaming into the void.

I want you to be right, I really do.  Bryce just looks like complete dog poo though, completely lost and inadequate would be my description.  He has the 3rd lowest yards per completion of any QB in history with at least 50 attempts through 2 games.  He lined up under his RG and had to be pushed over by the RB every BY nut hugger is hating on.  It’s not good.   I want it to be good, but it’s not good.

4 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

He lined up under his RG and had to be pushed over by the RB every BY nut hugger is hating on.  It’s not good.   I want it to be good, but it’s not good.

I can't believe people are talking like that's a thing 😄

Do you know how many quarterbacks I've seen do that over the years? And the vast majority of them weren't anywhere near as young or inexperienced as Bryce.

Hell, Steve Beuerlein did it here in 1999. He sure as hell wasn't a rookie at the time.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I can't believe people are talking like that's a thing 😄

Do you know how many quarterbacks I've seen do that over the years? And the vast majority of them weren't anywhere near as young or inexperienced as Bryce.

Hell, Steve Beuerlein did it here in 1999. He sure as hell wasn't a rookie at the time.

Cool story, when was the most recent one other than tonight?

3 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Cool story, when was the most recent one other than tonight?

Kirk Cousins did it last year or the year before (don't remember which). It was the subject of a lot of jokes at the time. There's probably video on YouTube.

When Beuerlein did it, he said it was because he was tired of looking at Frank Garcia's ass. Garcia insisted he had a great ass and Beuerlein didn't know what he was talking about.

I'm not gonna claim to be an expert on the subject, but having seen Frank Garcia, I'd probably side with Beuerlein 😕

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Kirk Cousins did it last year or the year before (don't remember which). It was the subject of a lot of jokes at the time. There's probably video on YouTube.

When Beuerlein did it, he said it was because he was tired of looking at Frank Garcia's ass. Garcia insisted he had a great ass and Beuerlein didn't know what he was talking about.

I'm not gonna claim to be an expert on the subject, but having seen Frank Garcia, I'd probably side with Beuerlein 😕

Ok so I think my point has merit then.  Lining up under your RG in the N.F.L is a J.O.K.E.  Especially if your #1 trait is supposed to be football IQ.  

TBH, I appreciate your optimism and content Scot, I really do.  I’ll happily be wrong and happily eat my humble pie when BY puts it together.  

This has been two HISTORICALLY bad starts from the rook though and worse than that it actually looks awful, it’s doesn’t just feel awful.

Edited by Newtcase

1 minute ago, Newtcase said:

Ok so I think my point has merit then.  Lining up under your RG in the N.F.L is a J.O.K.E.  Especially if your #1 trait is supposed to be football IQ.  

TBH, I appreciate your optimism and content Scot, I really do.  I’ll happily be wrong and happily eat my humble pie when BY puts it together.  

This has been two HISTORICALLY bad starts from the rook though and worse than that it actually looks awful, it’s doesn’t just feel awful.

Nah, I don't see that as a failing. Maybe just a nervous moment at worst.

Part of the reason I'm not worried about Bryce is I've seen probably hundreds of new quarterbacks in my time watching football.  Most of them start off looking like sh-t, even the ones that turn out to be great later on.

Peyton Manning tends to be a prime example (his rookie year was pretty bad) but a better comparison in our case might be Drew Brees. He didn't exactly set the world on fire in San Diego, hence why the Chargers decided to move on with Philip Rivers.

When all was said and done of course, Brees and the Saints had a Super Bowl win while Rivers and the Chargers didn't. Rivers was certainly a good QB. Brees was just more successful.

You might not have predicted it early on though...