• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

Kurb

Can't believe you guys still buy the physical copies...once I got Kindle I've never bought another hard back again.

I'm an old crotchety curmudgeon at the ripe old age of 34. You folks with your newfangled technologies... BLAH!

But srsly... I just like being able to hold the book in my hand and flip the pages. Plus, whenever I get to the task of putting up a bookshelf, it'll look more impressive when I line up all the physical pages of text that I have read.

And, I'm scared if I had an e-book I would drop it in the pooper.

FWIW, I still listen to CDs more than playing music on my old iPod or on my phone.

I'm an old crotchety curmudgeon at the ripe old age of 34. You folks with your newfangled technologies... BLAH!

But srsly... I just like being able to hold the book in my hand and flip the pages. Plus, whenever I get to the task of putting up a bookshelf, it'll look more impressive when I line up all the physical pages of text that I have read.

And, I'm scared if I had an e-book I would drop it in the pooper.

FWIW, I still listen to CDs more than playing music on my old iPod or on my phone.

I'm 44 whipper snapper.  I used to have 2 bookshelves filled with hardbacks.  Sold all of those and now I have more room for other stuff.  Seriously, aside from the space savings there are so many advantages to owning a kindle (or kindle fire like I have).  You still own it forever.  You can do quick searches, make notes, read with the lights off (which is great if you're married)...etc.  

BTW...I'm in the middle of The Passage by Justin Cronin, it was mentioned earlier in this thread by somebody I believe.  So far it's pretty good.  

• Pie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the wise man's fear, damn I really enjoyed those two books. Should check out the AMA Rothfuss did on reddit, said that he's written a book regarding Bast's story.

I can't recommend Scott Lynch enough if you enjoyed Rothfuss and GRRM. The 4th book in Lynch's series is supposed to come out sometime this year.

• Pie 1

• 3 weeks later...

found a hardcover copy of Brent Weeks's The Black Prism at my local used book store for $5

so far, i'm really impressed with it.  this has always been a book that's been suggested to me through Amazon and Good Reads, I've just never found it on a shelf anywhere that wasn't a mass market paperback

characters are pretty interesting so far... locations and nationalities/races are also interesting... and the magic system is pretty smart.  I don't usually like fantasy that relies too heavily on crazy magic systems, but this one is interesting and reminds me a lot of Sanderson's Mistborn series.

i'm about 200 pages in at this point (about a 1/3 of the way through... BIG book), and i'd definitely recommend it off of everything I've read so far.  good stuff

Saw this thread.... saw it was 32 pages long.... knew WoT would be a major point of discussion. 

I judge every single one of you that prefers SoT to WoT. Hell I judge you if you read more than 5 books in SoT. That whole series (excluding the first book) was pure garbage and a blatant rip off of WoT (well aware WoT borrows from other series). 

Back to the OG post, I see you read Night Angel. You need to read the Lightbringer series (3 of 4 are complete) its better. 

Edited by KissMyConverse

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but if you haven't read Ready Player One by Earnest Cline, you should. It's the most fun book I have read in decades. Fantastic.

His next book, Armada, is coming out in two weeks. It should be a smash hit.

Trust me on Ready Player One, this is a book you'll read and re-read.

• Pie 1

I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick last year. Really enjoyed it and it was a quick read. Loved the movie Bladerunner but had never gotten around to reading the book. The book was great and shows how amazing the movie was in it's adaptation.

• Pie 1

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but if you haven't read Ready Player One by Earnest Cline, you should. It's the most fun book I have read in decades. Fantastic.

His next book, Armada, is coming out in two weeks. It should be a smash hit.

Trust me on Ready Player One, this is a book you'll read and re-read.

the book is being made into a film and directed by Spielberg... should be pretty good