• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Tillman Story

Jbro

When Pat's younger brother made his speech at Pat's memorial service I was blown away. After all the "important" people get up and give their traditional "Pat is in a better place" speeches, Pat's brother walks up to the podium in a white t-shirt and jeans, with a Guinness beer in hand, and says "Pat isn't with God," he said. "He's f -- ing dead. He wasn't religious. So thank you for your thoughts, but he's f -- ing dead."

Looking forward to seeing this movie with an open mind.

In the center, where people are sane. Far righties would tell you Tillman by a mile. Far lefties would say Parks and it isn't close.

That's because the religious righties that tried to politicize his enrollment and subsequent death as a champion of their cause were assholes and didn't realize he was an atheist and not a huge fan of the goverment either.

His brother Pat Tillman's eulogy at his funeral:

Tillman's youngest brother, Rich, wore a rumpled white T-shirt, no jacket, no tie, no collar, and immediately swore into the microphone. He hadn't written anything, he said, and with the starkest honesty, he asked mourners to hold their spiritual bromides.

"Pat isn't with God,'' he said. "He's f -- ing dead. He wasn't religious. So thank you for your thoughts, but he's f -- ing dead.''

That's because the religious righties that tried to politicize his enrollment and subsequent death as a champion of their cause were assholes and didn't realize he was an atheist and not a huge fan of the goverment either.

His brother Pat Tillman's eulogy at his funeral:

See? Husker is a lefty. My question splits people right on that axis.

Pat Tillman is an object lesson in how stupid our government is.

Rosa Parks is an object lesson in how great our government is.

They both have their place.

To me, the Tillman story is a warning about what patriotism really is. It seems to me this guy wanted so badly to do something after 9/11 he really didn't care to think about what it was, and there was the government ready to take that attitude and use it as they saw fit. When his end didn't fit the video game illusion the government needed, they changed the story. Ugly.

Rosa Parks, in a way, was more of a hero, because she did not have impressive athletic skills, a paid for college education, or the ability to drop her own obligations to follow her moral imperative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

What is interesting in her Wiki article are things like she was used to riding integrated trolleys when she worked at an Air Force Base (the military is not a good place for social engineering? Hogwash!). But reading her story, she understood that she was part of a bigger thing, understood her place in it, and took action - Just like Tillman did.

Pat Tillman is an object lesson in how stupid our government is.

Rosa Parks is an object lesson in how great our government is.

They both have their place.

To me, the Tillman story is a warning about what patriotism really is. It seems to me this guy wanted so badly to do something after 9/11 he really didn't care to think about what it was, and there was the government ready to take that attitude and use it as they saw fit. When his end didn't fit the video game illusion the government needed, they changed the story. Ugly.

Rosa Parks, in a way, was more of a hero, because she did not have impressive athletic skills, a paid for college education, or the ability to drop her own obligations to follow her moral imperative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

What is interesting in her Wiki article are things like she was used to riding integrated trolleys when she worked at an Air Force Base (the military is not a good place for social engineering? Hogwash!). But reading her story, she understood that she was part of a bigger thing, understood her place in it, and took action - Just like Tillman did.

My point is proven.

Archived