• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post a pic, any pic.

Jangler

lucky bastard, one of my biggest regrets is never studying abroad. it'll provide a cascade of experiences you won't get just backpacking and slumming it with the masses. where in aus are you gonna be? that'll play a pretty big part. ALL of southeast asia is a must-see. assuming you'll do mainland SEA (indonesia and parts of malaysia are pretty far-flung) you can very easily hit thailand, burma, laos, cambodia, and vietnam if you've got the time. expenses are minimal. i won't suck up a pictures thread with travel advice, but when the times comes, start a thread in the lounge and i'll be happy to dump ideas into it.

oh yeah and if you have ideas on how to travel and find a legit job that lets you travel TELL ME IMMEDIATELY. lol

edit: for the past couple years my strategy has been to save up extra cash (you could work an extra day a week, or sock away 10 bucks a week, or something) so that when it comes time to travel i pretty much have my airfare covered. i bartend (a lot) and i save my change and the odd one-dollar-bills that i can't change out for higher denominations, and don't consider them income. i paid for roundtrip tickets to peru in 2011, ecuador in 2012, peru again in 2013 and one to uruguay, and if all goes well i'll have a "free" ride to england this summer, possibly indonesia in december if i have a good fall season at work. and on that note, try traveling over the summer when you're on break (though it'll generally be more expensive unless you fly to the southern hemisphere where it's winter) and in december (where it's generally the cheapest time to fly, and you'll be out of school.)

I'm gonna be in Sydney. I already plan on doing the eastern coast of Australia, heading down to NZ, and hopefully getting all around SE Asian. I have a good friend that will be studying in China at the same time, so when the semester ends, I might fly up there are then we can work our way down together.

And that's awesome. I wish I could do something like that, and maybe some day I will. I'll be coming out of school with a degree in both geography (focus in human/cultural geography) and international relations (focus in national/international defense and security), so I sincerely hope I can find some sort of job that pushes me to travel as much as possible. I've also though about joining the peace corps or working for a non-profit or NGO right out of school for a couple of years before potentially going back for grad school or finding a governmental job. I dunno though, I guess I have time.

Why England this summer? Compared to almost anywhere else in the world, wouldn't you consider that quite unexciting?

• Pie 1

I'm gonna be in Sydney. I already plan on doing the eastern coast of Australia, heading down to NZ, and hopefully getting all around SE Asian. I have a good friend that will be studying in China at the same time, so when the semester ends, I might fly up there are then we can work our way down together.

And that's awesome. I wish I could do something like that, and maybe some day I will. I'll be coming out of school with a degree in both geography (focus in human/cultural geography) and international relations (focus in national/international defense and security), so I sincerely hope I can find some sort of job that pushes me to travel as much as possible. I've also though about joining the peace corps or working for a non-profit or NGO right out of school for a couple of years before potentially going back for grad school or finding a governmental job. I dunno though, I guess I have time.

Why England this summer? Compared to almost anywhere else in the world, wouldn't you consider that quite unexciting?

awesome! start a thread at that point and i'll brain dump into it.

i've never been to europe and i've always wanted to go to scotland, so i intend to do a lot of trekking in the kilgorns, and it'll be an opportunity to take some time to finish up that goddamn book, finally, and plus i'm probably meeting a buddy in germany afterwards and backpacking germany/austria for a week or two, and i've always wanted to go there as well.

i will slake my thirst for adventure this december when i wander the far-flung islands of the indonesian archipelago, tracing 19th-century british naturalist alfred russel wallace's footsteps in my own quest to the mysterious aru islands, in search of feathers from the legendary bird of paradise

awesome! start a thread at that point and i'll brain dump into it.

i've never been to europe and i've always wanted to go to scotland, so i intend to do a lot of trekking in the kilgorns, and it'll be an opportunity to take some time to finish up that goddamn book, finally, and plus i'm probably meeting a buddy in germany afterwards and backpacking germany/austria for a week or two, and i've always wanted to go there as well.

i will slake my thirst for adventure this december when i wander the far-flung islands of the indonesian archipelago, tracing 19th-century british naturalist alfred russel wallace's footsteps in my own quest to the mysterious aru islands, in search of feathers from the legendary bird of paradise

I find Europe boring, but maybe that's just me. I'm gonna join you in Indonesia though. Just gonna parachute outta the sky and be like "Sup PhillyB?"

• Pie 1