• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post a pic, any pic.

Jangler

On 8/28/2019 at 12:37 PM, t96 said:

She get surgery? I’ve got a 12 year old cavachon that has a partially torn CCL. Vet recommended we try to let it heal on its own which we’ve been doing but it’s been pretty close to a year now and while he seems to be getting better he’ll still limp or not walk on it at times. One thing though is he hasn’t been in any noticeable pain or discomfort at all with it at any time, just a slight limp sometimes or keeping weight off of it at times. Hope yours gets well.

Thanks man. No surgery, we were also told he has heart issues and giving her surgery might make it worse. So we are doing the same. Shes a boxer cross so they really only like 10 years and she is 9 so we will likely ride this one out

8 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Think it would be pretty funny to send this to the two grown up sons of these two traitors but then again, I would have my behind kicked by them.

ethel & julius vinson.png

I just read on it and apparently after investigation and multiple classified info releases, Ethel had nothing to do with spying and information Julius was providing Russians with was garbage.  Apparently US government made an example out of them.

• Pie 1

On 8/27/2019 at 4:07 PM, CanadianCat said:

Sad pic of my 9 year old Boxer x Boston Terrier after going to the vet. She tore a CCL in her leg.  

20190821_171103.thumb.jpg.65702e3d3dc59f117a7c7b318baa3a2e.jpg

On 8/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, t96 said:

She get surgery? I’ve got a 12 year old cavachon that has a partially torn CCL. Vet recommended we try to let it heal on its own which we’ve been doing but it’s been pretty close to a year now and while he seems to be getting better he’ll still limp or not walk on it at times. One thing though is he hasn’t been in any noticeable pain or discomfort at all with it at any time, just a slight limp sometimes or keeping weight off of it at times. Hope yours gets well.

My lab-pit mix partially tore his CCL over a year ago and one of the best vet ortho surgeons in eastern NC wanted us to wait because he is so muscular that she didn't want to do surgery unless she was absolutely certain it was completely ruptured or torn. A year later, and while he never displayed any outward signs of pain, he was nearly lame on his left rear leg when we took him back and had the surgery. The important thing here is the dog will never tell you he's in pain. They will simply compensate and try to carry on. We knew he was in need of the surgery when he would just stop and either sit or lay down in the middle of our trail walks.

But, I'm here to tell you, the surgery is no joke. I don't care that it cost me about $3700, but keeping him caged for the first 4 weeks after surgery, having to sling-carry him down the steps to the backyard a few times a day, coming home in the middle of the day and having him wake me up between 2-4 AM every night crying to go out. All the pain meds, antibiotics and sedatives are diuretics and he could pee for a minute. The hard part while he was on the meds was his personality was gone; he wouldn't wag his tail, didn't talk to us like he normally does and was in sad shape.

He's just started week 9 of his 12 week recovery schedule, had his 8-week x-rays last week and the vet says his bone is healing great. He walks like he never had surgery and he's actually going a couple miles 2-3 times a week (on a leash). He finished all of his meds around week 4-5 and his personality came back and he's almost back to his usual self.

There are 2 different surgeries for canine CCL and the vet we used will only do the TPLO surgery and not the tightrope. TPLO requires the bone to be cut and a metal plates is used to permanently stabilize the joint so there is no lateral movement.

TPLO:

image.thumb.png.2ed6e01f5f9b8859739e105d4b6187c0.png

Tightrope:

image.png.8245584b8f50ec1cb3e73701dc60b29b.png

Anyway, I've been through all of this over the past year- if there's anything I can help with, let me know.

45 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

My lab-pit mix partially tore his CCL over a year ago and one of the best vet ortho surgeons in eastern NC wanted us to wait because he is so muscular that she didn't want to do surgery unless she was absolutely certain it was completely ruptured or torn. A year later, and while he never displayed any outward signs of pain, he was nearly lame on his left rear leg when we took him back and had the surgery. The important thing here is the dog will never tell you he's in pain. They will simply compensate and try to carry on. We knew he was in need of the surgery when he would just stop and either sit or lay down in the middle of our trail walks.

But, I'm here to tell you, the surgery is no joke. I don't care that it cost me about $3700, but keeping him caged for the first 4 weeks after surgery, having to sling-carry him down the steps to the backyard a few times a day, coming home in the middle of the day and having him wake me up between 2-4 AM every night crying to go out. All the pain meds, antibiotics and sedatives are diuretics and he could pee for a minute. The hard part while he was on the meds was his personality was gone; he wouldn't wag his tail, didn't talk to us like he normally does and was in sad shape.

He's just started week 9 of his 12 week recovery schedule, had his 8-week x-rays last week and the vet says his bone is healing great. He walks like he never had surgery and he's actually going a couple miles 2-3 times a week (on a leash). He finished all of his meds around week 4-5 and his personality came back and he's almost back to his usual self.

There are 2 different surgeries for canine CCL and the vet we used will only do the TPLO surgery and not the tightrope. TPLO requires the bone to be cut and a metal plates is used to permanently stabilize the joint so there is no lateral movement.

TPLO:

image.thumb.png.2ed6e01f5f9b8859739e105d4b6187c0.png

Tightrope:

image.png.8245584b8f50ec1cb3e73701dc60b29b.png

Anyway, I've been through all of this over the past year- if there's anything I can help with, let me know.

Hey I appreciate the feedback. Yeah they mentioned the down time and that would be difficult for her. Like I said before, unfortunately she maybe only has a year or two left and with the heart condition she might not make it through surgery. She is compensating for it pretty good right now. She sometimes forgets and starts running and jumping but then she pays for it later with a pretty good limp. I think we are just going to ride this one out with her and give her meds as needed.  

• Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...