• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stanley Cup Time! (Official Playoff Discussion)

For me to say that the Blackhawks are down and out, would be foolish. However, I don't feel like they have what it takes to beat Detroit, who is probably the best team in hockey. The biggest weakness of their team is Chris Osgood, and the man is no slouch. That's really saying something that he's probably the weakest link.

Blackhawks are fast and skilled, but the Wings can match their speed and make less mistakes while taking advantage of Chicago's. I know they're the feelgood team, but they have their work cut out for them already down 0-1.

And so it is.

Stanley Cup Finals

(2)Detroit vs. (4)Pittsburgh

The obvious storyline here is the fact that its a rematch from last year when the Wings took the cup in six. Should be good watching for a hockey fan.

I predict Pitt in 5. They've battled through tougher opponents to get here, seem to have more momentum going into the finals, and just came off the weaker series against (unfortunately) the Hurricanes. I think Detroit is in for a shock here.

Whatifsports.com picks Detroit in 7

Summary

The Detroit Red Wings win the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals in seven games. Marian Hossa, who skated on Pittsburgh's first scoring line in last season's Stanley Cup Finals against Detroit, now leads the Red Wings to victory and earns the Conn Smythe Trophy, given to the NHL's Playoff MVP, for his efforts. In total, Hossa scores 11 goals, including two in the deciding game, and has nine assists with a +/- rating of +14 in Detroit's 23 games. Other Red Wing standouts from the seven-game series include Jiri Hudler, Valtteri Filppula, Pavel Datsyuk and Niklas Kronwall, each with seven points. Goalie Chris Osgood plays every minute and saves 87.8% of Pittsburgh's shots. The Penguins are led by their superstars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, who both score ten points. Marc-Andre Fleur actually outperforms his counterpart with an 89.45% save percentage. Clearly, depth is the key to Detroit's victory. Few teams in NHL history can match Crosby and Malkin, but it's Detroit's third and fourth lines and defensemen who make the difference. The win marks the twelfth Stanley Cup for the Red Wings, their fifth since 1996

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2009NHLSCF

Archived