• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers A Sleeping Giant (Article)

YourManInAmsterdam

Defense really is the issue. With Chud coming back and Newton having a full offseason, you would expect the offense to improve. The real question is how much better the defense will be compared to last year. If we can improve to only 2009 levels we should be a playoff team.

With a good draft,good health,and a couple of FAs I think we can be over 500 pretty easily.

how many times have we heard that ? we need to be looking for otahs replacement this year in the draft

I tend to agree even though we need to improve our defense.If we can improve our blocking both in the run and pass that in itself will help our defense stay off the field.

I think we can improve our secondary with some upgrades but I am unsure where the consistant pass rush will come from.

Defense really is the issue. With Chud coming back and Newton having a full offseason, you would expect the offense to improve. The real question is how much better the defense will be compared to last year. If we can improve to only 2009 levels we should be a playoff team.

Well you must be prepared for teams game planning Cam next year so I am not taking for granted that our offense will be that much better unless we can block and run better than last year.Tenn. was able to shut us down and I am sure DCs will be studing that game film.

IF we can keep Beason, Otah, Edwards, and Thomas Davis (or his replacement) healthy WITH the addition of another impact pass rusher (Quinton Coples) then I think we are the best team in the AFC South.

On offense WITH Otah we will have a running game that will produce 2500 yards out of our running backs and a passing game that will be unstoppable as well.

If we can keep Beason, Edwards and the WLB position healthy (TD or no TD) then I see us getting into the top 10 on defense. Draft Cliff Harris as a ST ace and get some production out of the PR game and we are a complete team.

A lot of stars would need to align for the Panthers.

They need an identity and players on both special teams and defense.

They need toughness vs. folding on both sides of the ball when things don't go their way.

They need to prove they can beat a winning team that does not have a 3rd string QB playing against them along with star defensive players out (Texans). Last year they proved they could beat players worse than themselves.

They need a massive talent infusion on defense. I don't buy into the 'if Thomas Davis and Jon Beason, and Edwards return they would be so much better'. I'm not so sure. I'm sure they would not be worse but not so sure they would be better as great defense begins on the line. Beason is ineffective if the DTs can't keep blockers away from him. DAvis is finished.

Newton needs the next step in getting rid of the ball quicker and realizing that he can't always make the play himself in the NFL.

Can they do it in 2012, anything is possible. Proability, not so sure. too many holes to fill that in truth have been there for a very long time on the defensive side of the ball and then shooting themselves in the foot with some special team moves.

A lot of stars would need to align for the Panthers.

They need an identity and players on both special teams and defense.

They need toughness vs. folding on both sides of the ball when things don't go their way.

They need to prove they can beat a winning team that does not have a 3rd string QB playing against them along with star defensive players out (Texans). Last year they proved they could beat players worse than themselves.

They need a massive talent infusion on defense. I don't buy into the 'if Thomas Davis and Jon Beason, and Edwards return they would be so much better'. I'm not so sure. I'm sure they would not be worse but not so sure they would be better as great defense begins on the line. Beason is ineffective if the DTs can't keep blockers away from him. DAvis is finished.

Newton needs the next step in getting rid of the ball quicker and realizing that he can't always make the play himself in the NFL.

Can they do it in 2012, anything is possible. Proability, not so sure. too many holes to fill that in truth have been there for a very long time on the defensive side of the ball and then shooting themselves in the foot with some special team moves.

Agree with some of this post. I think we are still a draft or two away from being really good. Our schedule is pretty tough as well. We gave up close to 200 points to the two teams ahead of us in our division this year. Dallas always gives us regular season fits. The super bowl champs are coming to town and the Eagles (post off season workouts) should be improved.

I would love to see 9 wins and a fight for the playoffs, but we still have a ton of work to do.

Well you must be prepared for teams game planning Cam next year so I am not taking for granted that our offense will be that much better unless we can block and run better than last year.Tenn. was able to shut us down and I am sure DCs will be studing that game film.

Gameplanning doesn't guarantee that you can still catch him or tackle him. He will also watch a ton of film to see what people did to him last year like Tennessee and making sure it doesn't happen again. It cuts both ways.

I don't think we are that far from being a playoff team or that the defense needs a major overhaul. McDermott's defense is predicated on being aggressive and dictating to the offense what we will let them do. That requires being good against the run and creating 3rd and long situations. What we lacked last year was a presence in the middle of the line and good outside containment. Edwards will shore up the middle and he will have help with Fua and whoever else we keep from the revolving door of DTs last year. Our linebackers will be improved with Beason's return and either Davis or his replacement. That will an emphasis in the draft along with another corner. Add in a free safety in free agency and this defense looks very different.

If our defense had always sucked and we never had great defenses in the past, then a certain amount of skepticism might be justified. But historically we have had very good defenses and our coach has a history of being a better defensive mind than Fox was. Richardson said he was going to fix the offense last year and we did. This year we are going to fix the defense. I am more optimistic than I have been since the end of 2004 when we finished 6-2 heading into 2005. I think the same kind of scenario could happen this time around.

Agree with some of this post. I think we are still a draft or two away from being really good. Our schedule is pretty tough as well. We gave up close to 200 points to the two teams ahead of us in our division this year. Dallas always gives us regular season fits. The super bowl champs are coming to town and the Eagles (post off season workouts) should be improved.

I would love to see 9 wins and a fight for the playoffs, but we still have a ton of work to do.

One good thing is that McDermott has lots of good experience gameplanning against the NFC-East and knows those teams very well.

they might be gameplanning for cam based on what they got last year, but what they got last year was a relatively raw cam newton with a brand new offense and scheme in his rookie year without a full offseason to work with his coaches and a full offense pretty much in the same boat.

Archived