• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricanes acquire Jordan Staal

Sign P.A. Parenteau and Dennis Wideman and we are getting somewhere

Tlusty- E. Staal - P.A. Parenteau

Skinner - J. Staal - Jokinen

LaRose - Welsh - Ruutu

Dwyer - Brent - Nodl

Bowman

Stewart

Pitkanen - McBain

Faulk - Gleason

Wideman - Harrison

Murphy

Ward

Boucher

Also in the mix...

Joslin, Sanguinetti, Nash, Boychuk, Dalpe, Brett Sutter, Blanchard, Rask and Samson.

It is pretty awesome. We have never had a young team this talent before, always been older that falls apart after a year or two....excited to see where this goes....yes we have some holes but we have some maturing prospects and free agency to go....

It did suck to lose Sutter/dumo but we still have Faulk, skinner, tlusty, McBain, Murphy, and Rask. That is one nice young core with the last two being our top prospects.

Anyone that really thinks Parise would seriously consider coming to Carolina with the lineup we had is fooling themselves. Carolina is a small market team and must build in small market ways. If you can get a top-line center that would consider re-signing long term with your franchise, you pull out all the stops to make that deal.

Carolina will never be destination for big name free agents so they have to build through the draft and through good trades like this.

A surprisingly good article by ESPN on the trade

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8088706/new-carolina-hurricanes-center-jordan-staal-very-excited-trade

"I don't think we knew when we were planning our wedding date that it was on the draft day and something like that would happen, but that's the way it goes sometimes," Staal said Saturday during an impromptu conference call with reporters.

"I found out, basically, in the middle of my reception," he added. "It was definitely some tough news to hear, but obviously, still very excited about it. With my teammates, it got a little emotional, but they knew a lot of good things could come out of this."

"When I heard about it, I just wasn't really comfortable with it yet. I just kind of wanted to wait it out and play next year and kind of see how things went," Staal said, later adding that "I felt really comfortable in that (prominent offensive) role and I wanted to try to score and see if I could really do some good things in that role."

"It's not too often just to have brothers in the NHL, but to play alongside one is a very special thing," Staal said. "If I did sign that 10-year extension with Pittsburgh, that opportunity to play with Eric would dwindle a lot, and that was a little part of why I didn't do that. It's a very exciting time for myself and Eric and our family. ... It's going to be a very neat time in my career."

From Rotoworld

Jordan Staal is looking forward to getting an opportunity to show what he can do offensively with the Carolina Hurricanes.

"It's a new challenge for me," Staal said. "I'm excited to get a lot of wins, make the playoffs and see what we can do." In Pittsburgh, he was often stuck behind Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby on the depth charts. Now he's likely to get far more playing time with the man advantage and possibly even first line minutes. This move certainly boosts his fantasy value.

Archived