• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Carolina Panthers going nowhere with Ron Rivera, Cam Newton"

Going to be a tough season. At the minute the aim has to be to take a step forward and get to .500 or better this season. The play offs would be nice but I don't think we'll get there this year. This year is about continuing to develop, and become more competitive and consistent. I don't think Rivera and Cam are holding us back, I think we can still go forwards with both guys, or at least with Cam we can.

Anyway, as for us being the worst in the NFC South, well it is debatable. The Falcons are contenders, the Saints should improve, and we are the Bucs are quite similar in that we are young teams that are still developing. So as to how good we are has yet to be seen.  

Steven Jackson to the Falcons is a minor upgrade to Turner....if any at all.  He is a big name RB that is past his prime.

TB did improve the secondary, which was a weakness.  Just like we drastically improved our DLine, which was a weakness.

Laughable that he says TB is better in every aspect than us.

DLine....push now at best.

LB...not close, we are sig better

OLine...give TB a slight nod

RB...our stable is better

WR...push

DB....this is their big adv.

Can't say that our running backs are better. Doug Martin > DeAngelo and Stewart. Granted factor in Cam and as a three they are better, but in terms of a starting running back their RB wins hands down. 

Other than that I agree with the other ratings. 

Andrew Luck- weak ass schedule and coachless inspired team.

Russel Wilson- Had the guy on training wheels most of the season and let the defense win games.

RG3- I can make the case that Kirk Cousins got them in the playoffs.

Colin- Alex Smith yes the Alex Smith was having a career year on that team. Had the 3rd highest passer rating before he went down.

You let me know when any of those guys get 35 touchdowns in a season and then we can start making some comparisons.

Football is the ultimate team sport.

Andrew Luck- weak ass schedule and coachless inspired team.

Russel Wilson- Had the guy on training wheels most of the season and let the defense win games.

RG3- I can make the case that Kirk Cousins got them in the playoffs.

Colin- Alex Smith yes the Alex Smith was having a career year on that team. Had the 3rd highest passer rating before he went down.

You let me know when any of those guys get 35 touchdowns in a season and then we can start making some comparisons.

Football is the ultimate team sport.

Plus arguably Wilson and Kaepernick both started in two of the most complete teams in the NFL. For me it shows how good those teams supporting casts are if they can put two rookies in the starting position and do as well as they did. I think if you put Cam in either of those teams then we would have seen a similar result at least. 

As for Luck, I think he did very well and helped the Colts in some comebacks and close our some games. It might have been for Chuck, but he did play well in his rookie year for the most part. 

RG3 had an excellent rookie year. 

But I do agree to an extent that Cam has had an excellent start to his career when he finished with 35 TDs. And for me, if he had been placed in that 49ers or Seahawks team of the past two seasons then he may well have had even more success than he has already done. 

Going to be a tough season. At the minute the aim has to be to take a step forward and get to .500 or better this season. The play offs would be nice but I don't think we'll get there this year. This year is about continuing to develop, and become more competitive and consistent. I don't think Rivera and Cam are holding us back, I think we can still go forwards with both guys, or at least with Cam we can.

Anyway, as for us being the worst in the NFC South, well it is debatable. The Falcons are contenders, the Saints should improve, and we are the Bucs are quite similar in that we are young teams that are still developing. So as to how good we are has yet to be seen.

Can't say that our running backs are better. Doug Martin > DeAngelo and Stewart. Granted factor in Cam and as a three they are better, but in terms of a starting running back their RB wins hands down.

Other than that I agree with the other ratings.

I think the combo of DWill, Stew, and Tolbert is stronger than Martin. Throw in Cam's rushing, and our running game is much stronger.

Doug Martin is better than J-Stew, D-Will and Tolbert after ONE season? Holy crap, not a chance in hell.

If it was Stewart of 2009, and DeAngelo of 2008/9, then Martin is not better than them. But DeAngelo and Stewart over the past few years haven't hit those highs, and while Martin has only been in the league one year, his numbers were very impressive - over 1,400 rushing yards with 11 TDs, and almost 500 receiving yards as well. 

I don't dispute that our guys are very talented, and when healthy and in form are excellent starters in the NFL. But the problem is neither guy has performed to a level worthy of their current contracts. 

As a unit I agree that they are very good unit. But at this time if you said Martin vs DeAngelo, or Martin vs. Stewart, I see only one winner in both contests, that being the rookie Doug Martin. He may flop next year, but personally Martin looks to be the new star running back on the block. And our two guys need to start performing to a higher level because as it stands they aren't worth the money the team has been paying them. 

If it was Stewart of 2009, and DeAngelo of 2008/9, then Martin is not better than them. But DeAngelo and Stewart over the past few years haven't hit those highs, and while Martin has only been in the league one year, his numbers were very impressive - over 1,400 rushing yards with 11 TDs, and almost 500 receiving yards as well.

I don't dispute that our guys are very talented, and when healthy and in form are excellent starters in the NFL. But the problem is neither guy has been utilized to a level worthy of their current contracts.

As a unit I agree that they are very good unit. But at this time if you said Martin vs DeAngelo, or Martin vs. Stewart, I see only one winner in both contests, that being the rookie Doug Martin. He may flop next year, but personally Martin looks to be the new star running back on the block. And our two guys need to start performing to a higher level because as it stands they aren't worth the money the team has been paying them.

Fixed

I think the combo of DWill, Stew, and Tolbert is stronger than Nartin. Throw in Cam's rushing, and our running game is much stronger.

I did say in my post as a unit with Cam we are stronger, yes. But my point when you compare our running backs to their running backs, in my opinion, Doug Martin is a better performing running back on his own than our combined unit of DeAngelo, Stewart and Tolbert.

Last season DeAngelo put up 737 and 5 TDs; Stewart put up 336 and 1 TD; 183 yards and 7 TDs.

As a running back unit they put up a total of: 1256 yards, and 13 TDs.

Last season Doug Martin put up 1454 yards and 11 TDs on his own. LeGarrette Blount put up 151 and 2 TDs.

As a running back unit they put up a total of: 1505 yards and 13 TDs.

So when you compare our very well paid running back unit, they produced less yards than the Bucs, and the TDs were tied. So while I'd love to say that our unit is stronger than Martin, if that kid continues to push on, and ours continue to perform as they do, then he will easily surpass them. For me, if I was asked would I rather have Cam+DeAngelo and Stewart (I count Tolbert as a FB), or Cam+Doug Martin, I would take the latter.

Now I like our running game, but it is hard to argue that DeAngelo and Stewart have performed since getting their contracts. Blame Cam's introduction, and our OC, but neither guy's form has been amazing. If they continue in that vain we may end up looking for another starting running back in the near future because their production for their contracts isn't really acceptable.

Doug Martin is better than J-Stew, D-Will and Tolbert after ONE season? Holy crap, not a chance in hell.

As a RB, he is better than Tolbert and a 30 yr old version of Williams. Better than hurt Stewart as well