• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets (feels good to say that) hire Steve Clifford as coach

NanceUSMC

I don't see him coming here either, but's worth a shot.

Worse case scenario is that he turns us down and we suck for one more year.

lol.

Chances are very low that he picks us. But let's say we make a run at him (Clifford) and trade with Minny (Cristaldi). We add Howard and Derrick Williams. That wouldn't be so bad.

PG: Kemba / Sessions

SG: Shabazz / Hendo

SF: Kidd-Gilchrist / Taylor

PF: Derrick Williams / Biz

C  : Howard

I would be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind but I just can't see us in that race.

But just for giggles and daydreaming imagine a defense with Clifford at coach, Kemba, Oladipo, MKG, Biz, and Howard.

Sure we may not ever score more than 80 points but neither would our opponents. Lol

tumblr_ljis5nEmuS1qj0zk3o1_500.gif

lol.

Chances are very low that he picks us. But let's say we make a run at him (Clifford) and trade with Minny (Cristaldi). We add Howard and Derrick Williams. That wouldn't be so bad.

PG: Kemba / Sessions

SG: Shabazz / Hendo

SF: Kidd-Gilchrist / Taylor

PF: Derrick Williams / Biz

C  : Howard

I'd be down for that.

I dont care about how much respect he has with JVG or around the league. Dunlap had much respect from George Karl also. Let's hope hes the right guy. I'm sick of having new faces every year. It's time to start changing this attitude.

The difference there is Clifford has put in quite a few years in the league and worked with pro players whereas Dunlap was predominantly a college coach with only a couple years under Karl only...  Clifford has been under multiple coaches with different teams and plenty of different players - he will get respect off the bat from players.  Dunlap was already operating in the red in regards to respect when he first stepped in the locker room.  It was a bad hire.

For quick reference:

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/steve_clifford/index.html

College - Maine-Farmington
Steve Clifford joins the Lakers for his first season after spending the past five seasons (2007-12) as an assistant coach for the Orlando Magic. Over five seasons on Stan Van Gundy’s staff, Clifford helped the Magic to a 259-135 (.657) record, highlighted by a trip to the 2009 NBA Finals.

Prior to his time in Orlando, Clifford spent four seasons as an assistant coach with the Houston Rockets (2003-07) after working with the New York Knicks for three seasons, two as an assistant coach (2001-03) and one as an advance scout (2000-01).

Entering the NBA with more than a decade of college coaching experience, Clifford served as an assistant coach at East Carolina University for one season following four years as head coach at Adelphi University, where he compiled a record of 86-36 (.705). Leading Adelphi to four straight 20-win seasons, he became the first coach in school history to record consecutive 20- plus win campaigns while guiding the Panthers to four appearances in the NCAA Division II Tournament.

After gaining his first coaching experience over two seasons at Woodland High School in Maine, Clifford began his college coaching career as an assistant at St. Anselm’s College in New Hampshire for four seasons. Following his time with the Hawks, he served one season as an assistant at Fairfield University, spent the next four seasons at Boston University and one season after that at Siena College before accepting the head coaching position at Adelphi.

Following a four-year playing career at the University of Maine at Farmington, Clifford, named Best Defensive Player in his final two seasons while serving as team captain, graduated with a degree in special education.

I was actually thinking the same thing...

If it comes down to money and comfort, he'll end up in Charlotte. If it's all about winning, he'll be in Houston or Dallas.

Professional sports are all about money and who you know. Not likely, but I wouldn't be shocked. I also think that MJ owning the team may start to play a bigger role in attracting free agents. It seems like he's been an absentee owner up to this point, but has been listening to the criticism and is taking a more active role.

Archived