• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Guide to Preseason Game Viewing

Zod

I love how people just ignore my last post.

To me, it's obvious our crappy effort and play in the pre-seasons translates to our slow starts every season.

It isn't obvious or even causal.  Preseason is not the same as the regular season and the goals are very different.  Furthermore each year is totally different in terms of what has happened the past 2 years.  In 2011 we had no offseason, a shortened training camp and we were installing everything new including a rookie quarterback with little college experience.  Everyone in the know were clear that the hardest transition would be for teams like the Panthers who were having a complete fruit basket turnover.

So really last year is the only year where your theory would even apply.  In order to have a body of evidence in order to support your thoughts, it would take at least 2 years which hasn't happened.  So at this point your premise is clearly not obvious or even germaine.  If they start off slow this year you might have a point.  Until then though, it sounds more like chicken littling and whining after 2 preseason games.  

W-L doesn't matter in preseason. But I'd still like our players to at least perform well. Which they aren't. I know everyone will chalk my post up as an "overreaction" but let me make it clear, I'm not intending this to be a panic-type post. However, the people who are overly lax about the pre-season are just as bad as the people who overreact.

Not hardly...

Nick Foles aka Joe Montana did w/e he wanted v our defense....

And our offense was boring and unproductive.

It's sad when Gano is the high point of the night.(aside from no injuries)

A plus would be...well Gano seems to look like a competent kicker at the moment.

That comment was made the day after and regarding the first pre-season game. People were getting a little excited but looking at the box score the game was 7-7 with the starters.

Overreacting = OMFG WE SUXXORZ SOH BAHD!!!

Constructive criticism = I don't believe we're using enough plays involving pulling the guards to make holes for the run game. I hope that G Williams can be used effectively that way, but I don't think he has the foot movement enough to succeed with that. Maybe we should look into more options outside of the now-retired Moore, or the already-cut-once Wharton to get someone in there who can actually keep his feet and block for our RBs. Hope GMan has a plan in place and moves when first or second cuts are made, and not wait until the start of the season.

There's the difference most people fail to recognize. Not saying you did, but a lot of folks do take the former approach, and not much of the latter.

I love how people just ignore my last post.

To me, it's obvious our crappy effort and play in the pre-seasons translates to our slow starts every season.

In the entire history of our team we've won more than 2 games in the preseason 4 times (1995, 2003, 2004, 2006...and in 1995 we had 5 games to do it).  We've only finished better than 8-8 one of those years. Every other season we've existed we finished the preseason 2-2 or worse and bitching about our effort / how badly we played during it, including years we actually were good.

The preseason for fans, beyond getting a good look at some individual efforts and things like basic OL / DL play, simply doesn't matter.  You can't translate the preseason team into the regular season team in terms of effort / fire / ability / scheme / whatever...no matter how hard you try.