• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers Cuts Thread...

Zod

I did a thread on our successful castoffs a year or so ago. Will Montgomery went on to be a serviceable player for the Skins as well. If I'm not mistaken, he was their starting center for a year or two. Without looking, I have no idea where he is now.

Dave Ball was another preseason standout we cut that went on to be productive for Tennessee.

I think Fiametta is with the Bears.

Just saw where the Eagles are dumping the guard they took in the first round of 2011, Danny Watkins.

His road to football was an unusual story and he wasn't going to be a starter this year.  He started 18 games in the last two, albeit on a lousy line.

Gettleman would know about him from Eagles-Giants games.  Wonder if he's worth a look.

He's a little older than most third year guys (28).  Might just be that he didn't suit the offense Chip Kelly was going to run,

don't know anything about him, but it could be a Dwan type situation.  Which was good for us.

• Pie 1

don't know anything about him, but it could be a Dwan type situation.  Which was good for us.

Did a little research.  Kelly insists on OL guys that can play multiple spots.  Watkins is only a guard. 

He was benched last year, but Evan Mathis was benched in his Panther days too.

Maybe we can return the favor the Eagles did us :lol:

• Pie 1

That's what I was thinking... That or as Scot said, perhaps he just didn't fit the new system. Would love to bring him in and see what he has.

Gettleman has certainly seen him play.

Watkins and Dennis Roland (Bengals tackle) are names that intrigue me right now.

Watkins was only drafted two years ago though.  I'm guessing he'd be subject to waivers.

I've met and I watched him through college and I honestly couldn't be more proud of him, now he can sit back and watch his alma mater beat Arkansas today.  What a lot of people don't know is that his alma mater is responsible for multiple NFL level DB's in Ike Taylor, Michael Adams, CC Brown, Dwight Bentley, and the best of all, Peanut Tillman.  Good luck Melvin, Geaux Cajuns and Keep Pounding!

I just cried a few man tears, got a direct message from MJ White thanking me for believing in him.

• Pie 1

@caplannfl: Have to imagine that coaches knew early on Watkins wouldn't work out. Less to do with talent, more to do with desire.

@caplannfl: Watkins did dominate during Senior Bowl week practices, no question, but only had 1 good season at Baylor. And clearly never loved the game.

@RoobCSN: I don't think Danny Watkins will play again. I don't think his heart was ever in football. I don't think he likes playing the game.