• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fixing the Panthers Offense in 4 Easy Steps

Zod

Show me one game in NFL history where teams are happy to tire out an offense by keeping them on the field.

you put/keep the ball in the hands of the other offense and it's eventually going to come back and bite you in the butt...which happens to us quite often.

whats kind of scary is imagine if all their starters were in the game.

and they still beat us. i'm going to give shula the bills game to see how he is going to handle cam this year. but if he turns cam into this dink and dunk/game managing qb i'm gonna feel so fuging bad for Cam and this offense.

btw i realize it is the seahawks and their secondary is fuging incredible

We could have won the game 7-6 we lead for the majority of the game. The defense gave up a late score and we were in position to take the lead and Deangelo fumbled.

This game wasn't a shoot out it was a defensive power struggle and the defense lost the battle. We need to worry about how to fix our secondary. Wilson was running for his life all game but when he was able to look down field receivers were wide open. That zone was crap and he picked it apart for 300+ yards.

This game was going to come down to not what the offenses would do but which defense would make a play when it mattered. Their defense made the plays in the win to end it. Ours once again let them drive down the field and run out the clock.

Poor Cam once again looking for an opportunity to go win the game. Denagelo took that opportunity from him and the defense couldn't get him another one.

Some might say we gave the game away but after thinking about it their defense literally took it and ours couldn't take it back.

So you say their defense literally took the game away yet are blaming our defense for the loss? How do you not blame the offense for letting their defense take the game?

Our defense is always going to surrender 10-14 points.  It's unreasonable to expect them not to, unless you think that we should be fielding one of the best scoring defenses in NFL history.

We're going to get penalties.  That's part of the game, and it happens to every team, often at inopportune times.  There will be drives killed, or extended by stupid mistakes.  It happens.

We will occasionally turn the ball over, probably once or twice a game on average.  That happens.

Therefore, we must have a game plan in place that takes these NORMAL things into account, and brings success in spite of them.  Slowing down the pace of play to the tune where we ended up with only 50 plays called in 30 minutes of possession does not strike me as one of those success factors.  Nor does the concept of running the ball to tire them out while at the same time giving them a breather between plays.  I get that the deep coverage was there, and kept Newton's arm in check, but what I don't understand is the lack of lateral stuff, and why we didn't do more with our running backs in the flat to bring those safeties up.

Last year we ran 53 plays in 24:23, roughly a play every 28 seconds.  This year we ran 50 plays in 29:46, a play every 36 seconds.  Can someone explain how this is a natural result of simplifying the play calling so Cam can get to the line quicker?  To me, this looks like something intentional, designed by the coaches and intended to keep the game low scoring, where we may be able to steal the victory.  A classic defensive coach's game plan, and one we've seen here before.

Buffalo has a terrible defense, one that you want to give every opportunity to make a mistake.  Do you think that slowing the game down will help limit their chances to blow it?  I certainly hope the coach's decide to open things up, but I have no faith at all in them to do it.

And when they don't, if we lose, it will be again blamed on player execution.

• Pie 7

So you say their defense literally took the game away yet are blaming our defense for the loss? How do you not blame the offense for letting their defense take the game?

Defense were introduced before the game and fittingly so this was their game. I expected nothing against this Hawks d from our offense. They gave us a lead 7-6 for the majority of the game. Ask Ron Rivera who he thinks let him down the offense or HIS defense.

Hands down Ron will tell you the defense let him down go listen to his press conference he talks more about the opportunities the defense missed.

You see I put things into context of who we are.

Again

1. Defensive minded head coach

2. Defensive driven drafts

3. Defensive game plan

4. Defense introduced first to start the season

5. Conservative OC with conservative game plan

6. Punting on 4th and inches

Again I don't agree with this philosophy but this coaching staff wants to win games with its defense or else they would get Cam some fuging weapons and turn him loose.

Doesn't matter if the lead was 35-34 or 7-6 the offense gave us a lead and we played field position ball to attempt to protect that lead.

When their defense needed to make a play they did. When ours needed to make a play they tucked their tails and folded.

Stop talking about offense this was a defense game.

• Pie 1

Our defense is always going to surrender 10-14 points.  It's unreasonable to expect them not to, unless you think that we should be fielding one of the best scoring defenses in NFL history.

We're going to get penalties.  That's part of the game, and it happens to every team, often at inopportune times.  There will be drives killed, or extended by stupid mistakes.  It happens.

We will occasionally turn the ball over, probably once or twice a game on average.  That happens.

Therefore, we must have a game plan in place that takes these NORMAL things into account, and brings success in spite of them.  Slowing down the pace of play to the tune where we ended up with only 50 plays called in 30 minutes of possession does not strike me as one of those success factors.  Nor does the concept of running the ball to tire them out while at the same time giving them a breather between plays.  I get that the deep coverage was there, and kept Newton's arm in check, but what I don't understand is the lack of lateral stuff, and why we didn't do more with our running backs in the flat to bring those safeties up.

Last year we ran 53 plays in 24:23, roughly a play every 28 seconds.  This year we ran 50 plays in 29:46, a play every 36 seconds.  Can someone explain how this is a natural result of simplifying the play calling so Cam can get to the line quicker?  To me, this looks like something intentional, designed by the coaches and intended to keep the game low scoring, where we may be able to steal the victory.  A classic defensive coach's game plan, and one we've seen here before.

Buffalo has a terrible defense, one that you want to give every opportunity to make a mistake.  Do you think that slowing the game down will help limit their chances to blow it?  I certainly hope the coach's decide to open things up, but I have no faith at all in them to do it.

And when they don't, if we lose, it will be again blamed on player execution.

that makes me sick.

• Pie 3

The seahawks had plenty of drops as well, but their offense was able to attack and overcome them. Funny how that works.

They had 2 drops out of 33 and 1 of those was by Lynch the RB. The Panther's had 2 drops out of 23 attempts. 

The Panther's receivers caught a total of 7 passes and 6 of them were to Smith which means the other 3 receivers caught 1 pass between them.

The Seahawks receivers caught 15 passes spread between 4 different receivers.

Simply put, I think the two teams were pretty evenly matched but the Seahawks receivers simply out played the Panthers receivers. No surprise there.

• Pie 1

Simply put, I think the two teams were pretty evenly matched but the Seahawks receivers simply out played the Panthers receivers. No surprise there.

Seriously?  Or maybe the coaches had a gameplan that allows those receives to exploit advantages they had.

I really don't look at the Seahawks receiver corps and feel blown away... at all.  It's decent, but not great.  I don't think our unit, in terms of talent, is that far behind, if behind at all.  The difference is that the Seahawks have coaches that can find ways to utilize their WRs.

• Pie 1

Seriously?  Or maybe the coaches had a gameplan that allows those receives to exploit advantages they had.

I really don't look at the Seahawks receiver corps and feel blown away... at all.  It's decent, but not great.  I don't think our unit, in terms of talent, is that far behind, if behind at all.  The difference is that the Seahawks have coaches that can find ways to utilize their WRs.

Our receivers aren't awful, they're just rarely used.  20 total attempts for the player who holds records for passing in his first two years?

Wow.

• Pie 1

Why yes, I'm happy just losing to good teams.  It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.  Effort is what matters in the sport, anyway.  Everyone is a winner.  The entire NFCS gets a nice little trophy regardless of where they finish.

Alternatively, we can see the opportunities we had to take control of a game and beat that Super Bowl contender into the ground in the first half, that we failed to do.  We lacked the killer instinct, and I think that comes from the top.

I'm not happy with losing to anyone.

I am less angry when we play well overall against a very good team.

And I am never ready to panic and bench/cut/fire everybody after only one game.

• Pie 1

I'm not happy with losing to anyone.

I am less angry when we play well overall against a very good team.

And I am never ready to panic and bench/cut/fire everybody after only one game.

can you say a team that only scores seven points played well? that's what i'm having a hard time with. production is what matters. the offense simply just didn't produce. couldn't even get the ball into field goal range. i'm no fan of FGs, but at least it's points.

• Pie 1

The Panthers are a team emblamatic and  symptomatic of 'lost opportunity.'   They are the 'poster children' for the phrase and have been for 5 years.

The Panthers yesterday had a huge opportunity.  Its gone.  They had the crowd behind them.  Its gone.  Everyone in the stands knew with that fumble that was the end, just like with Olsen dropping those passes.

There is not one single player, offensively or defensively,  or Coach, that when the game is on the line to score or to stop the other team from scoring at the end of the game who steps up....not one.  No excuses or reasons here, its fact.   We all know it.

The makeup of this team and this coaching staff is not 'clutch'.  When it matters, they don't.  It's as simple as that and I would suggest that after this year, a lot of players and coaches need to be gone.

As for me, given the cost, time and expense, this is in high likelihood my last year of PSLs.  I'm going to try and enjoy the day, let the millionaires get paid win or lose, and stop drinking the kool aid  of 'next year. '