• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Farewell to Jon Beason

Zod

The worth of anything is determined from what another will pay for it.

Beason is nowhere near the elite MLB that he was a few seasons ago.  He has had 3 surgeries in 17 months and has struggled to regain even starting quality form.  Blackburn was a major upgrade to him based on the way he had performed.

I loved Beason as a player, but the injuries were just too much to overcome.

That is the thing.  Who couldn't like Beason?  He worked for everything he got and was the heart of the defense for years.  He was a pro-bowler and play maker.  My feelings have been one of sadness that he hasn't recovered and might never be anything but a shadow of his former self. It has been painful to watch him play and realize he has lost more than a few steps. I hope I am wrong and he comes back 100%.  But both the achilles and micro-fracture injuries were potentially career ending. It reminds me of Stephen Davis, he came back from micro-fracture but he never played as well as he did before. If work ethic can make the difference then he has a good shot to come back.  That was never in doubt. At least New York gives him the best shot to start.

Most teams retire numbers as fan favorites and as a way for the organization to show their appreciation for the players and his relationship with the fans.

Does anyone here even know if the Panther organization has an established criteria for retiring numbers?

Right now? John Kasay and Steve Smith are likely the only two players, past or current, who are likely to receive this honor.

The equipment manager Jacki Miles has some numbers he won't give out. They aren't retired but he feels strongly about the numbers and won't let them go for just anybody. The two I can think of right now are 51 and 4.

Jon Beason will always be a legend to me. Gave everything he had, even when he had nothing to give.

The_Giving_Tree.jpg

Don't you start this shitte.  My kid read that book 5 nights a week.  He is still a preteen and innocent and things that have happened when he was a kid are special and I now hate you.  This sucks enough as it is.  I am going to whip your ass!!!!!

zach-galifianakis-crying.gif

• Pie 1

The equipment manager Jacki Miles has some numbers he won't give out. They aren't retired but he feels strongly about the numbers and won't let them go for just anybody. The two I can think of right now are 51 and 4.

Well, Sam Mills' #51 is the only number officially retired by the Panthers, that's why Miles doesn't issue it.

What the!

I leave the huddle 3 days, i almost made it right into the hole (6 feet under) and when i am back Beason is leaving..

Sigh.

Farewell Jon, Thank you for everything, i wish you luck with the Giants, they need a play.. warrior like you bad.

Take care.

I agree I don't know how to feel. I know for a fact it is better for the organization for Beason and for the Giants so I should be happy.

But I feel .........meeeeeehhhh!

Kind of like when you get rid of your favorite recliner for a furniture upgrade.

He will be missed.

well said!!