• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Begin Head Coach Search?

carp24000

I hate to break it to you, but a lot of Rivera's decisions late in games are favored mathematically. We have shitty luck.

Yeah, but those mathematic equations don't take into consideration a 6'5" 240lb QB that is one of the best runners in the league - period. A QB that went undefeated in the SEC primarily off his running, and with few if any of his team mates starting in the NFL right now. Cam is a special talent. You can't lump him in with statistics for every other QB. The stat he should be using is how successful is Cam Newton on 3rd/4th down short yardage runs?

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised to find the Panthers are planning for possibilities. Ron Rivera has been around the league long enough to know anything less than a playoff run this year and he is toast. This is just the political reality in Carolina.

He also knows if his team goes on a tear and makes it into the playoffs that he will be impossible to fire.

Ron Rivera has to win NOW.

He knows this.

You didn't hear the actual report on television, did you?

Actually I have.  It's online right here (NFL.com)

Exact Quote: "The Panthers are laying the foundation for a possible coaching search after this season, doing background checks on candidates so much so that one candidate actually knows that the team is interested in them."

No statement that there's been actual contact.  Just background searches that one guy knows about.

Agree, but he's not gonna stand up in front of the whole team and tell them it's Rivera's ass if they don't win. 

As we found out last week, neither will Rivera.

I thought he handled that admirably.

I'm hoping this isn't true. Not liking it at all. Only speaks to larger problems high up within our organization.

Disagree.  I think it's smart for them to start doing their research now "just in case".

It's a negative that it became public knowledge, but the fact that they're doing it doesn't bother me at all.

I hate to break it to you, but a lot of Rivera's decisions late in games are favored mathematically. We have shitty luck.

No, not breaking anything to me, but there are a lot of variables he is in control over that contribute to "luck."  And he does what a lot of coaches would do and gets crucified when he fails.  However, the Buffalo game should have been a no-brainer simply because if you make it you probably win, if you don't you probably tie (they would played for the safe FG instead of having a rookie QB throwing into the endzone). 

If Rivera and Bill Billichek or Jim Harbaugh or Tom Coughlin or Mike Sherman or Bill Parcells etc.  sat down to play a game of chess, how often would you bet on Rivera?  Crazy analogy on the surface, but I want a smart person who takes calculated risks.  A person who has seen other strategies before.  A person who can adjust.  A person who thinks 2 moves ahead. 

None of those are Ron Rivera, it would seem.  I hope he wins 10 games this year and people throw this post in my face.  I could live with that.

Disagree.  I think it's smart for them to start doing their research now "just in case".

It's a negative that it became public knowledge, but the fact that they're doing it doesn't bother me at all.

If the season was lost, I may agree. But we've only played three games. Three.

At this point, we're likely to turn off some quality candidates instead of attracting them by us handling things this way. Bottom line, Richardson should have nutted up and paid the money to fire Rivera this year if he was so unsure. Instead, we are now creating needless distractions.

I can't think of who it could be.  I don't think Shaw, or Cowher are that unprofessional to go to an NFL network reporter and proclaim this.  It wasn't Gruden because he'd let ESPN leak the news first.. Cowher works for CBS, so I'd guess it wasn't him. 

Actually I have. It's online right here (NFL.com)

Exact Quote: "The Panthers are laying the foundation for a possible coaching search after this season, doing background checks on candidates so much so that one candidate actually knows that the team is interested in them."

No statement that there's been actual contact. Just background searches that one guy knows about.

As we found out last week, neither will Rivera.

I thought he handled that admirably.

Of course there hasn't been any actual noted contact, that's against league rules assuming that the coach is employed in the league. However, it says that there is enough interest "so much so" that one person knows. I'd say that's enough contact.

I know you enjoy adding your subtle "I know more than you" to most of your posts, but it's possible that you read into things differently than someone else. That doesn't mean you're right.

And with that, I'm doing responding to you. Ever. So, please humor me and do the same for me.

once again the comments he made you took out of context.

I like his pedigree and that he actually has a plan in place.

you didnt like the beason move because of film room study. you find anything and everything to fault instead of looking at the other side of the situation. that is your m.o.

you can call it anything else but there are positives and negatives to every situation. you look at the negatives.

Gettlemans job isnt to impress a guy on a message board its to make a successful franchise. I wouldnt worry about what CRA thinks of his decisions. Look at the results or lack of in a year or two and they will stand on their own.