• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Begin Head Coach Search?

carp24000

From RotoWorld, even though it's a re-hash.

If DG wants to keep Cam (The Rotworld article/re-hash), then it's a smart move. 

Rivera will just not help Cam either stats or win wise. 

And of course, it helps DG in General (especially if he keeps Cam) when it comes to winning, and keeping his own job. A competent NFL coach (Rivera is not) can make a big difference/change a teams fortunes. 

Rivera can no longer say theres always next week. The G-man knows the Big Cat needs to win now because he only has a few years left due to health reasons. We have a new Sherrif in town with G-man and he is all business. He did what he could for Beason in getting him a team where he could play MLB, but also helped the team by getting a draft pick where next year we would have lost Beason and got nothing in return. Rivera has to coach as if every game could be his last.

You can be a players coach, but you have to win in the NFL or go home.

If the Big Cat valued winning that much....he would have stopped all these GM/HC pairings to nowhere he has done the past 3 years...

And if RR had a good GM with him the past 3 seasons....some of these holes would have been plugged and we would have won. RR is a smart HC.....holes prevent the "right" calls from working. RR isn't a gambler and with so many holes he would have needed the gamble

If the season was lost, I may agree. But we've only played three games. Three.

At this point, we're likely to turn off some quality candidates instead of attracting them by us handling things this way. Bottom line, Richardson should have nutted up and paid the money to fire Rivera this year if he was so unsure. Instead, we are now creating needless distractions.

I hear ya Red. But personally, I wouldn't bring Rivera back unless he made the superbowl. 

So just cause it's early, it doesn't mean you don't do your preparation now (especially after that Buffalo fiasco). 

Maybe Gettle's seen enough, knows the deal (i.e. Rivera's shaky)?

JR hired Gettleman. Based on Gettleman's own statements, I wouldn't expect any kind of shocking hire from us.

I'm hoping that I am wrong, but I see another boring and relatively inexpensive defensive coordinator as head coach.

..I feel your vibe...I just think its going to be different this time. We actually have a GM that isn't a freaking cub reporter... i'll trust his judgement because of his football acumen...

I hear ya Red. But personally, I wouldn't bring Rivera back unless he made the superbowl.

So just cause it's early, it doesn't mean you don't do your preparation now (especially after that Buffalo fiasco).

I thought we should have fired him in the offseason. I like the guy, but he's had his chances.

My concern is with our owner and GM right now. I'm not sure they will break the mold with our next hire. I hope they do...

shotty coaching decisions like most recently the Bills is the biggest reason why he has the deck against him.

Personnel has been atrocious in the past but he has made some incrediblly idiotic decisions late in games. And the record proves that.

You can only blame the players for so long

Yup Yup

Rivera had no intention of scoring a TD during that last series of the Buffalo game, despite the idiocy not to (6 pt lead still makes you lose to a TD. TO means Buff still has to march length of the field to score a TD).

No one can defend Rivera for his coaching that game. It was awful and he was obviously SCARED/Way too conservative!! 

You never know what the future will hold, and it makes sense to get started now instead of scrambling to find somebody after the season ends.

Fact is, last week was nice but it was against a terrible Giant's team. Although nobody knows how things will pan out from this point forward, if we don't make the playoffs - which still looks doubtful - Rivera will be gone.

Strange timing. Who released this and why? Hmmmm

i think it's most likely either the guy who knows he's had a background check done and is a candidate, or his agent.

if it's the agent, we'll know who it is within the next couple days.

or the whole thing could be speculation....you know, poo flung from one of the poo flingers in the major media.

whatever the case, tho...i don't think it's any secret to anyone that it's do or die for rivera.

win now with this team or we find someone who can.

i actually like that it's out there. no more pretense. it's now known that we are no longer content with losing and no longer accept excuses.

i also like that the same standards used for players are used for the coaching staff. meet expectations or be replaced. you have to know that gettleman is always on the look for talent where it's needed to help this team win. it's only fair tha the coaches have to live up to that as well.

another thing i like is that if it really is the players not executing that has been the reason for losses and not game management, and if rivera is really as loved by the players as we have been made to believe, then they have to know that his staying depends on them not f*cking up. they'll be holding themselves and each other a lot more accountable.

here's yet another thing i'm liking. in the past we've waited until poo happens before we do anything. the writing could be on the wall, but we never do anything until the last minute. we don't have a history of being proactive....esp. where coaching hires are concerned. there's been little to no looking ahead about much of anything. all we do is react when things happen and all too often it's a measured and delayed reaction in which we miss out on opportunities, losing out to teams who do a better job of looking ahead.

if this report is true, which it probably is, i don't see it as a bad thing. if rivera or the team can't handle this pressure, then a change is made anyway. the culture has to change and this mindset that we don't need to be acting desperately needs to get thrown out the window. if rivera can't handle this pressure, he's not the right man for the job. if he gets distracted by it, he's not the right man for the job.

i don't think he's the best coach we could have and i don't think that he's good enough to make this team consistent winners, but i hope he is because i want this team to win now.

but if he's not the right man for the job, i want the message to be clear to the rest of the team....there is only one expectation...win. if you can't help make that happen, we'll find someone who can.

more than that, we're already looking for your replacement. if you want your job, convince us that you are the right man for it. don't screw up. don't get lax. do your best always.

• Pie 1

RR isn't a gambler.... He makes the "right calls".

You want RR to be good....don't have glaring holes on his roster. It is what it is. The GMs in Carolina have been his downfall IMO

What lol

Time to put the doobie down CRA

Um...

First GM....resigned all Fox's guys to mega deals. Fox was out the door and it was a 2 win team.

THAT limits a new HC. Limits his roster, adds holes, and makes him play with the olds guys roster

2nd GM didn't hire RR and had no say...

That is a Richardson created issue. GMs haven't done RR favors here. Should be acknowledged. That isn't negative. Negative is what YOU and other posters are a about RR.

Jerry Richardson hasn't done a good job with his GM/HC. Keeps one or the other when both should be together.