• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stopping Newton - The Word is Out

Zod

Let's see.  Cam in the second half when the game hung in the balance led the team to .....zero points.

I can see why folks are upset.  No way could a veteran like Derek lead the team to this high point total.

I have an idea. Since Cam has failed miserably in second halfs let him play the first half and Derek the second.   I dare say we can't do much worse than we 

are now.

There are certainly things that Shula could do to 1) focus on blitz protection in practice, 2) game plan to actually take advantage of an over aggressive D, and 3) make in game adjustments to adapt to whatever the defense is doing.

Looking ahead to the Minnesota game, one thing we know is that they like to get pressure with their front four in a 4-3 package.  This should bode well for our o-line.  They do have an all pro pass rusher in Jared Allen, so i expect that there will be some pressure generated from the Vikes D-line.  Will it be enough to frustrate Cam?  Again, if he can break contain and float out of the pocket, then get up field a few times early on, it will help to soften up that front 7.  Against AZ he really didn't get anything going and became one dimensional.  Shula didn't call a good game in the second half and it seemed like we were going downfield on every pass play.  Very few screens and underneath routes.

THat Cards D is very good, no doubt.  Minnesota isn't bad either.  They have given up a lot of points, but they also have a defense that forces turnovers and scores points.

Hopefully from Cam's perspective, the Cards loss will be a learning experience and he will approach the next game with a greater awareness and some strategies for overcoming the blitz.  Vikings coming off a bye could be lackluster or could raise up on us.  Hopefully, RR and Shula will think about their jobs a lot this week and bring some intensity to this squad.  If we get to 1-5 I'd say we have to cut RR loose.  We could have done better than Shula...in fact that might be a big reason we have lost 3 out of 4 games.

Cam hasn't been stellar and now the stats are starting to bear that out.  He was due for a 3 INT game.  That doesn't mean that he won't turn around and have another 3 TD game next week.  Leadership is being tested right now and arriving home in week 7 at 2-3 would do wonders for this team.

The problem is, and homers just don't want it To be true, is that Newton had the vision of a blind cave bat. On a 3rd down sack by dansby, the whole middle of the field was wide open and Lafell came streaking across it, but Cams eyes never even budged from the primary receiver who took a decade to get open. The play ended with lafell telling cam, "hey I was wide the frick open. Look for me bra". The truth until Cam learns to go through his reads in an efficient manner, he will be an average qb at best.

I think people use the phrase average at best to often. Can is not going to be average at best. Hes above average now, he will be dominant at best, good at medium, and average at least. Someone like hangman as an OG would be an average at best guy for you. Bell is an average at best guy.  

I think people use the phrase average at best to often. Can is not going to be average at best. Hes above average now, he will be dominant at best, good at medium, and average at least. Someone like hangman as an OG would be an average at best guy for you. Bell is an average at best guy.  

Other than being a physical freak, I am not sure what areas Cam is above average.

Accruacy....nope

Mechanics....nope

Reading defenses...nope

Quick on reading progressions....nope

Making the big play late in the game when the team needs it....nope

Cam is nothing more that another athlete trying ot play QB.  We have heard it too many times....how they will transform the game.  Yet, all of them have been left on the side of the road an the game has continued to move forward just the same.  The position of QB is won IN the pocket.  It is as plain and simple as that.

Look at Cam, Kaep, RGII.....all had great rookie years.  They brought something new to the table and caught teams by surprise.  Yet, now defenses have caught up to them and none are having stellar years.

1-3

1-3

Its not that easy, you cant use the record as a measuring stick unless you are on ESPN. a record does matter but would you have said Steve Smith is garbage at best in our 2-14 season? There are guys on our team that are average at best, but Cam isnt one of them. You dont have the record for most passing yards in the first 2 years as an average at best QB. If you guys are set to hate him fine go ahead. i just dont see how that will play out for you seeing hes not going any were soon. Do you just pull for us to loose so you feel better?

Other than being a physical freak, I am not sure what areas Cam is above average.

Accruacy....nope

Mechanics....nope

Reading defenses...nope

Quick on reading progressions....nope

Making the big play late in the game when the team needs it....nope

Cam is nothing more that another athlete trying ot play QB.  We have heard it too many times....how they will transform the game.  Yet, all of them have been left on the side of the road an the game has continued to move forward just the same.  The position of QB is won IN the pocket.  It is as plain and simple as that.

Look at Cam, Kaep, RGII.....all had great rookie years.  They brought something new to the table and caught teams by surprise.  Yet, now defenses have caught up to them and none are having stellar years.

I just dont see things the same as you. But thanks for at least typing up an argument instead of using the record as proof. I see were you are going with your thinking i just dont see it the same. 

Panthers Game Plan Strategy:

1) Spend all week working up an offensive and defensive strategy that a) doesn't fit our players and A )does not fully exploit the weaknesses of the other team

2) distribute this info to the team in a "hey guys, could you please listen, this is important" kind of way.

3) Watch opponent, having anticipated this obvious strategy, begin to kick our teeth in.

4) (most important step here) DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO ADJUST IN GAME. NOTHING, NOT A DAMN THING.

Defensive strategy is sound.

When you have no OL and a QB who struggles with the dink and dunk.....what scheme is ideal? DG should of fixed our OL. He did nothing to aid our O.

I just dont see things the same as you. But thanks for at least typing up an argument instead of using the record as proof. I see were you are going with your thinking i just dont see it the same.

Very fair point.

There is also so much that goes on during practice that we do not see...that is very important in evaluating a players progression (especially a QB). That is the job of the coach and GM.

They may be seeing improvements that will take time to consistently see on the field. I was very high on Znewton after his rookie year and late last year. I am starting to see inconsistencies in his play and things that look like regression.

I hope I an wrong....time will trll

• Pie 1

well in my opinion if you hit a quarterback a lot and you get free rushers flying in to the backfield you're going to get sacks and cause turnovers and maybe affect his ability to move the ball on offense.

that's my revolutionary game-changing method for stopping newton.  now make me a defensive coordinator.

Defensive strategy is sound.

When you have no OL and a QB who struggles with the dink and dunk.....what scheme is ideal? DG should of fixed our OL. He did nothing to aid our O.

Comparatively speaking, the defensive strategy is sound.  Create pressure with the front 4, drop seven, got it.  We have some dynamic players that allow this strategy to work somewhat efficiently.  Now flip sides of the ball and we have a different story.

The offensive strategy(if you can call it that) Has Cam Newton dropping back behind that "line" looking for slow developing routes that rarely come open.  We do have a more traditional downhill rushing attack but one that does not feature Cam.  Its lunacy at best to attempt this with our personnel. 

I have an idea, I'll give you a toothbrush, some rubber cement and an ice pick.  Build me a boat.  Same philosophy here.

This is all so painful.

After 18 years of dealing with Collins, Steve B, Siefert's two experiments (Lewis and Weinke), then Jake's rise and fall, then the likes of Vinnie, Brian St. Pierre, Moore, Clausen, I think when Cam was drafted our hopes were very high.  We all knew he was raw.

He had the look of the winner. 

He had 'swag'. 

He gave us what so many other teams wanted, that 'francise guy' with the million dollar smile.  He could do anything, he could take that team on his shoulders and make them better.  He was 'Superman'.

These were our hopes, if we are all honest about it.

To see him take the beating he takes with an offense he can't run, I'm not sure anyone can run,  is very frustrating to all Carolina fans.

If we still had Matt Moore, it would be easy to say, 'hey we have Moore what do you expect';  but that's not the case.  We see what is our franchise QB getting killed every week and it has to be somebody's fault that our view of our franchise QB is not happening.

What I see in Cam now, shadow of who he was over the past  two years, ask yourselves what has changed.  The answer is there, I think.

As for me, I love Cam.  I love his potential.  I want his swag back.  I want our francise QB back.  I want him to be better and different than fill in the blank team's QB.

Every week, probably by my own doing, I feel pretty let down.  I suspect its the same for many.

This is all so painful.

After 18 years of dealing with Collins, Steve B, Siefert's two experiments (Lewis and Weinke), then Jake's rise and fall, then the likes of Vinnie, Brian St. Pierre, Moore, Clausen, I think when Cam was drafted our hopes were very high.  We all knew he was raw.

He had the look of the winner. 

He had 'swag'. 

He gave us what so many other teams wanted, that 'francise guy' with the million dollar smile.  He could do anything, he could take that team on his shoulders and make them better.  He was 'Superman'.

These were our hopes, if we are all honest about it.

To see him take the beating he takes with an offense he can't run, I'm not sure anyone can run,  is very frustrating to all Carolina fans.

If we still had Matt Moore, it would be easy to say, 'hey we have Moore what do you expect';  but that's not the case.  We see what is our franchise QB getting killed every week and it has to be somebody's fault that our view of our franchise QB is not happening.

What I see in Cam now, shadow of who he was over the past  two years, ask yourselves what has changed.  The answer is there, I think.

As for me, I love Cam.  I love his potential.  I want his swag back.  I want our francise QB back.  I want him to be better and different than fill in the blank team's QB.

Every week, probably by my own doing, I feel pretty let down.  I suspect its the same for many.

I am with you. You do have to ask yourself what has changed? This kid and our Offense had one of the biggest jumps in the history of the nfl. Now we can barely muster points. We need to change something and find out what it is quickly. I think the small issues that plague our QB can and will change. We just have to figure out what direction we want this team to go.

I take an honest look at this team. These are really the same players that we went 2-14 with. We need some better coaching. Look at KC with Reid. They are undefeated. I don't want to just blame coaching because a lot still falls on the players (fumbles, penalities, drop passes etc)

• Pie 1