• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which car should I buy? Nissan Rogue or Ford Escape?

Cat

Thanks everyone for your input. It was helpful. After measuring the insides of cargo areas with the back seats down we found that the Nissan Altima had more storage length than many of the small SUVs. Surprising right. Its also great on gas mileage.

That's what I currently have.  You can go well over 600 highway miles on a tank.

Thanks everyone for your input. It was helpful. After measuring the insides of cargo areas with the back seats down we found that the Nissan Altima had more storage length than many of the small SUVs. Surprising right. Its also great on gas mileage.

After having an Explorer for 8 years and a Dakota before that, I bought my Legacy.  The problem hasn't been storage length, it's been more of accessibility since the trunk is (obviously) shorter than a cargo area and the trunk opening is its own shape.  My wife wanted an SUV but doesn't drive a ton, so we traded her 05 Focus for a low-miles 06 Mercury Mariner (basically Ford Escape) about 3 weeks ago and I haven't regretted it once.  The nice thing about those is that the back glass goes up, making it easy to haul long items - I've already hauled a bunch of lumber and guttering material.  We've also stacked lawn chairs, a stroller, and a card table and chairs in the cargo area to go a to family bonfire, stuff that wouldn't fit in my Legacy with both kids (seats not folded down).  It's a 6-cylinder 4WD and her gas mileage has been 19 in the city, so not great but not nearly as bad as a lot of other SUVs. 

Nice =)  I came to the same conclusion.  You just lose the vertical storage of a wagon/suv but get better mileage!

Enjoy!

Nice =)  I came to the same conclusion.  You just lose the vertical storage of a wagon/suv but get better mileage!

Enjoy!

I think your post is the what put it in my head to check out the Altima and measure the length with the seat down.  Thanks :) 

So I've got to get a new car. We have a small family but we are pretty active with skiing and biking so I'd like a small SUV. 

I've narrowed it down to the 2012 Nissan Rogue because of it's reliability rating but I really like the look of the 2012 Ford Escape. It doesn't look like a jelly bean like all the other SUVs. I like the straight lines and the layout of the inside.  However it seems per consumer reports the Escape has a history of minor transmission issues and that concerns me considering the reason I'm getting  a new car is because my Toyota's transmission has gone out for the 2nd time.

Idk much about Fords. I'm worried I'll get it and end up in the repair shop.  Any advice? Any experience with Fords?

Unrelated to your question, but where do you usually ski?

I just got into skiing a couple years ago and this year is my first year getting season passes. Trying to plan a trip either out west or to Vermont as well.

Unrelated to your question, but where do you usually ski?

I just got into skiing a couple years ago and this year is my first year getting season passes. Trying to plan a trip either out west or to Vermont as well.

We drive to Snowshoe west Virginia several times a year. By far the best skiing in driving range. We go to Park City Utah for a week. Its amazing out there. Hard to return to east coast skiing after skiing out west. We have season passes this year st Snowshoe. We plan to take our 7 year old a lot to get him more experienced.

I've done a good bit of reasearch on Vermont vs out west and I found out west to be cheaper and everyone I've talked to and reviews I've read said northeast skiing doesn't compare to out west. If your interested I've gound some good low priced lodging at Park City I can get u info on.

We drive to Snowshoe west Virginia several times a year. By far the best skiing in driving range. We go to Park City Utah for a week. Its amazing out there. Hard to return to east coast skiing after skiing out west. We have season passes this year st Snowshoe. We plan to take our 7 year old a lot to get him more experienced.

I've done a good bit of reasearch on Vermont vs out west and I found out west to be cheaper and everyone I've talked to and reviews I've read said northeast skiing doesn't compare to out west. If your interested I've gound some good low priced lodging at Park City I can get u info on.

Yeah info on lodging there would be great. I actually have a ski shop in Park City as a client (I help with their online marketing). If you've been to PC before, you might have been there. Ever been to Jans? They have 7 or 8 PC area ski shops.

I'm going to Snowshoe on December 19th and 20th because they had lift passes at 1973 rates for the 19th and half priced lodging. I missed out on Snowshoe's $199 season pass unfortunately. I ended up getting a season pass for $210 to Canaan Valley. They're not as big as Snowshoe, and an hour further away, but they are not nearly as crowded as Snowshoe, so I can get more skiing in. They only have 42 runs compared to Snowshoe's 70ish, but Timberline is only 2 miles away so I'll probably head over there a couple times to mix things up or do more advanced skiing.

I've never skied in NC, but I knew without even trying it that it wasn't worth the money. Sugar Mountain wanted over $700 for a season pass.

Yeah info on lodging there would be great. I actually have a ski shop in Park City as a client (I help with their online marketing). If you've been to PC before, you might have been there. Ever been to Jans? They have 7 or 8 PC area ski shops.

I'm going to Snowshoe on December 19th and 20th because they had lift passes at 1973 rates for the 19th and half priced lodging. I missed out on Snowshoe's $199 season pass unfortunately. I ended up getting a season pass for $210 to Canaan Valley. They're not as big as Snowshoe, and an hour further away, but they are not nearly as crowded as Snowshoe, so I can get more skiing in. They only have 42 runs compared to Snowshoe's 70ish, but Timberline is only 2 miles away so I'll probably head over there a couple times to mix things up or do more advanced skiing.

I've never skied in NC, but I knew without even trying it that it wasn't worth the money. Sugar Mountain wanted over $700 for a season pass.

Yeah I know Jan's, they are all over the place in pcu. Nice expensive stuff in there.

I agree snoweshoe gets packed especially on the weekends. I've been going there for 20 years (since I was 12) and I recently discovered that I like the silver creek area a bit better. Especially with my son. We hit the blues in the middle and rarely wait for the lift plus there's a restaurant right at the lift so he can take lots of hot chocolate breaks.

Park City is great because the snow is really good and there are three large mountain resorts all together and a few more within an hour of Park City. Biggest perk is that the salt lake city airport is a 40ish min shuttle ride from Park City which is some of the easiest access you'll get. Most places in Colordo are several hours from Denver.

Airplane fix are typically cheaper if purchased on Tuesdays and Wednesday. We got ours for $367 non stop Charlotte to Salt lake.

Parkcitycrashpads.com has some low rates. We stay in a condo at Snow Country. Its an older place thatsbeen remodelled. Its clean, updated and sufficent. If u r looking for a super nice resdort atmosphere this isnt it. If u r there to mostly ski its great. Its not far from the bus stops or from park city slopes, the buses will taker u everywhere BTW.

Good luck, and enjoy your season pass! Let me know if u have any more questions.

Here is the condo we stayed in last year I think it was $175 a night.http://www.mountaintravelcompany.com/apex/f?p=mtc:property:0::NO::PROPERTY,P6_id:Snow-Country-1063-Park-City-Ski-Condo-Park-City-UTAH,3326

Archived