• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No long-term deal likely for Peppers

Jbro

Not trying to be a downer, but my high hopes from yesterday might have kind of been premature...

Although, the Suggs deal is a bonus, and is one of the things they were kind of waiting for to use as a measuring stick...

I hold out hope that it's going to get done, but rest assured that if it does not, there are going to be no hard feelings on either side... The Panthers knew what they were doing by tagging Pep.. He's an investment that they had planned for... Even if a long term deal doesn't get done before 4 PM, it should before the start of next season...

Here's to a great season for Pep, and for the Panthers!

That doesn't bode well when it comes time to re-sign Beason, who held out his first year. I know he's a team player, but he wants his money too...

But I think it does bode well with Peppers. A proven 3-4 backer gets 63 million veruses garunteed D-line Haynesworth money. You'd have to be an idiot not to pick the latter.

It does suck for us with Beason though. Isn't TD supposed to be a free agent after this year? Not that he will command this type of money, but if he has another good year, he'll want something.

As much Hurney and team wanted him back this year, I would be shocked if they go on the hook for 20+ million next year with another tag. Maybe Brown can prove to be an ample replacement and let Peppers walk. You never know, he may still wind up here and if not, we will get a 3rd round compensatory draft pick in 2011 which is better than nothing.

how did his value go down with other teams? He simply came right out and said he wasn't interested in playing for most of the league ....and would only consider 4 teams outside Carolina............

I think it was more about the 2007 season, compared to the 2008 season, than his wanting out and playing for only 4 teams.

the four teams has nothing to do with it. That was not a well thought out concrete list IMO. That was as far as he was willing to go in the press to get the point across that he was not going to play nice and not make this easy for Carolina for the reasons that the "four teams" supposedly represent: winning, coaching, 3-4, LB, etc.

Marty was also stubborn and thus we have...DING DING DING!!

a million dollar a week guy who quite possibly still does not want to play in Carolina but is being forced to and paid very highly to do so.

It still might work out that he gets a deal done. Marty has well demonstrated that he is prepared to do about anything short of murder to keep him in Charlotte.

What is all this going to cost the Panthers is the real question.

As much Hurney and team wanted him back this year, I would be shocked if they go on the hook for 20+ million next year with another tag.

I don't want them to tag him again with the actual intent of keeping him. That is a ludicrous amount to pay any one guy for one year. This year it's also a crazy amount, but it's a bit more understandable to do it for a year so you can prepare.

the four teams has nothing to do with it. That was not a well thought out concrete list IMO. That was as far as he was willing to go in the press to get the point across that he was not going to play nice and not make this easy for Carolina for the reasons that the "four teams" supposedly represent: winning, coaching, 3-4, LB, etc.

Marty was also stubborn and thus we have...DING DING DING!!

a million dollar a week guy who quite possibly still does not want to play in Carolina but is being forced to and paid very highly to do so.

It still might work out that he gets a deal done. Marty has well demonstrated that he is prepared to do about anything short of murder to keep him in Charlotte.

What is all this going to cost the Panthers is the real question.

Why does this extemely negative post from you not surprise me......I remember why. Because every post you make is negative.

Yeah, depends on our situation at the end of the season, we might tag him again eventhough it will be over 20 mil. But tagging him again is really our only option other than letting him walk. With the tag again, we can try to get some value for him... again. But this time take what we get, cause he doesn't want to play here! so we can use those picks to compensate.

Archived