• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Wheel concept" to replace draft lottery?

NanuqoftheNorth

I am not sure how going to a MLB/NFL system would reduce tanking.  If anything I think it would do more to ensure that tanking is a successful tactic.  Now if you tank and have the worst record you improve your chances of #1.  In that scenario if you tank and get the worst record you are guaranteed #1.

Maybe adjusting the lottery so that teams that just miss the lottery have better than a 0.3% chance and there is not such an advantage to completely tanking would help?  Worst four records get a 10% chance, next five teams gets a 8% chance, last five teams get a 4% chance.

This dumb concept would mess up the "trade system", trading pick(s) for players.

Also, I rather take my chances on winning the no.1 pick in 30 years than knowing exactly that I won't have one every 30 years.

A small market team would be terribly bad if this stupid concept goes through. The draft happens to help the small market teams build its teams. Small market teams would suck for 30 years.

The only way for this idea to work would be the NBA would have to go to a hard salary cap so that teams could not stack with super stars and so on. Make it where teams could only afford one max level player. Heck in the current set up this might be what is best for the league to lower the  cap and switch to a hard cap system to prevent teams from stacking up unless the players want to play for pennies on the dollar which I doubt they will do. 

The NBA needs to do a Old NHL system where the top three teams are in the lottery, everyone else picks based on record. Then also a Hard Cap set at 60-65 million that evens the playing field and breaks up teams like NY,NJ,LA and the Heat. 

Edit: Forgot to add this part earlier. For the above to happen, the NBA needs to get rid of WWW and stop his influence over NBA players and execs. He's pretty much ruined the NBA along with Stern. 

If anything, the current system encourages persistent tanking IMO. If the Bobcats had been assured the #1 pick a couple years back and landed Anthony Davis, no more reason to tank. The Unibrow, Kemba, and all that cap space? Could've signed two Al Jefferson type guys to pair with the two young studs. The lottery fuged them, and now they continue to be terrible/tanking is an option. 

Obviously cases would occur where draft picks are missed on, injuries, etc. ruin draft picks, but that's true for any draft system. The Bobcats being the worst team ever a couple years back, and only having a 25% chance at landing the #1 pick? That's absurd. 

the current system encourages tanking, widespread tanking, way more than the NFL system does.  it's often clear who the worst 2-3 teams in the league are, but this lottery poo encourages almost any team without a playoff spot to just lose in hopes of moving WAY up in draft position due to change.  that's bullshit imo.

wheel system, sure, it stops tanking, but it really hurts teams building.

honestly another way to help fix the NBA is a really rigid, low salary cap.  but... that may just cause salaries to adjust.

the current system encourages tanking, widespread tanking, way more than the NFL system does.  it's often clear who the worst 2-3 teams in the league are, but this lottery poo encourages almost any team without a playoff spot to just lose in hopes of moving WAY up in draft position due to change.  that's bullshit imo.

wheel system, sure, it stops tanking, but it really hurts teams building.

honestly another way to help fix the NBA is a really rigid, low salary cap.  but... that may just cause salaries to adjust.

I think that could backfire though.

Take the Nets this year. Prokorovh is spending some crazy figure in luxury cap penalties to field that team. It's not working, BUT, in a low cap system, the owners with deepest pockets could tell a FA like Lebron, come here, I'll sign you all the help you want and you'll walk to a title. Lesser teams may be able to afford 1 big star, and then not much else. The cheap owners are happy because they get to be cheap, and the owners willing to pay for super teams destroy what little parity the league already has. 

The salaries aren't going to adjust. The players know how much money the league is bringing in/about to bring in, and team prices have gone through the roof. Seattle is willing to pay like a billion dollars for a team right now and can't get any takers. Hell, even the Kings sold for like 530 million last year. THE KINGS! The only reason the players aren't making more is because Billy Hunter is an absolute moron.

Lower the salaries? The lockout idea of players forming their own league comes closer to fruition IMO. 

I didnt comment before because I thought it was really stupid. It is still really stupid, but now I must comment... I'm with carpan's idea of having a lottery for the 3 worst teams LIVE on television, and then having everyone else draft in the order of record. I don't want an NFL system for the NBA because it's a lot easier to stomach 17 weeks of tanking versus 82 games. But none of that will happen. Stern has shown he has no interest in transparency, which would alleviate most fans' concerns. For him to even have this proposed shows he has no interest in changing that. It's obvious that he wants to maintain a system where the big market teams, or teams that deserve a favor, still get fed.

I didnt comment before because I thought it was really stupid. It is still really stupid, but now I must comment...

I'm with 8789's idea of having a lottery for the 3 worst teams LIVE on television, and then having everyone else draft in the order of record. I don't want an NFL system for the NBA because it's a lot easier to stomach 17 weeks of tanking versus 82 games.

But none of that will happen. Stern has shown he has no interest in transparency, which would alleviate most fans' concerns. For him to even have this proposed shows he has no interest in changing that. It's obvious that he wants to maintain a system where the big market teams, or teams that deserve a favor, still get fed.

It's carpanfan96, not 8789. Just fixing.

The problem isn't just stern though. It's wes and as long as he's in the hip pocket of stern, James, Kobe.....ext.... The nba isn't going to change for the better because he's the big reason that super teams have formed and is always pushing players to big cities to form even more of them. You think wade, James and bosh didn't get some extra money from him for doing what he wanted??? Of course they did.

Archived