• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

D.C. Options if McDermott Leaves?

Catalyst

What if Mcdermott takes Wilks or Washington with him?

not possible. 

For one, Wilks is the only real option.  The Observer goobers put that out there about Frazier but I don't see that having ever been an option (though I read the "there goes the contingency for McDermott leaving" and nearly shat my pants, until I went back and saw they meant Frazier).   It was always Wilks as the next man up. 

And Wilks is a Rivera man.  Past that, no coaches would really leave - it's not like a head coaching job where you are forced to let them interview.  You don't have to let assistants go.   If they're under contract.   With the uncertainty around Rivera's year, I don't know if everyone has a contract, so there's always that. 

With that said, if Washington did leave, I would beg Brian Baker to come back, but he doesn't have any tie to the current staff.   Jim Washburn would be fantastic, too.  

Holcomb is so green that I have a hard time believing he'd go anywhere.  If Wilks were brought up to DC, I ...hmm.  I don't know.  Cioffi would be OK but he'll follow Horton.  Flajole is good and I'd bring him back (remember he was a secondary coach before he came here), I'd rather field no one than the Vikings' Joe Wood and I'd rather burn the stadium to the ground than suggest Raheem Morris. 

If Bobby Babich doesn't get a job anywhere else, or doesn't end up under Lovie, I could see him assisting Wilks.  Chris Tabor was rumored to be a choice for us for ST Coordinator in '11 and he's available, so it'd be interesting to see if he came aboard if this was a one year stop (or retirement) for the valuable Bruce DeHaven.

Not calling you out in particular but it has been said by numerous posters. Keek is not on some Peyton manning level with calling the shots for their respective squads. McDermott and pretty much any coordinator we bring in is going to be light years above keek in defensive game planning and play calling. Keek is a beast and incredibly smart. But we can't rely on a 3rd year player to call the shots. It's unfair to him and unfair to the team.

So the All-pro linebacker with no children, spouse, or girlfriend in a town such as Charlotte has exactly what to do besides football? He has picked up everything thrown at him and is on par with a guy with twice as much experience. Don't under sell his abilities, or time.

So the All-pro linebacker with no children, spouse, or girlfriend in a town such as Charlotte has exactly what to do besides football? He has picked up everything thrown at him and is on par with a guy with twice as much experience. Don't under sell his abilities, or time.

I'm in no way underselling his abilities. I'm saying he'" shouldn't be responsible for running the entire defense in his 3rd year when we could get a coach with 10+ years experience. This is common sense stuff. He's not a Peyton manning of the defense yet. I fully imagine he could be with more time and experience.

Steve Wilks was Rivera's first choice for DC when he got the Panthers head coaching job.  The Chargers refused permission.

Once Wilks came free (contract), Rivera snapped him up as DB coach.

Little reason to doubt that Wilks gets promoted if McDermott moves on (which I actually don't think will happen, anyway).

Steve Wilks was Rivera's first choice for DC when he got the Panthers head coaching job. The Chargers refused permission.

Once Wilks came free (contract), Rivera snapped him up as DB coach.

Little reason to doubt that Wilks gets promoted if McDermott moves on (which I actually don't think will happen, anyway).

Actually I believed this to be true as well but it is not. He was under contract as a position coach in SD with the title Assistant Head Coach. If they wanted him as DC they could have had him by making him DC/Assistant HC .When they asked permission to talk to him for WR coach they had already hired McDermott.

Actually I believed this to be true as well but it is not. He was under contract as a position coach in SD with the title Assistant Head Coach. If they wanted him as DC they could have had him by making him DC/Assistant HC .When they asked permission to talk to him for WR coach they had already hired McDermott.

WR Coach?

WR Coach?

Anti WR coach, sorry

And now I think everything I said is wrong anyway...so mych bad info out there. However it does seem the permission request was for him to be interviewed for position coach, not DC.

Archived