• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Teammate on Steve Smith Release

Catalyst

I watched SS cuss DJ out during an OTA when DJ was a rookie.  It was brutal.

See, that's the kind of thing I think Gettleman wanted to avoid with whatever rookie(s) we draft this year. Maybe Smitty had good reason, but there is a line to be drawn in terms of just being a professional.

See, that's the kind of thing I think Gettleman wanted to avoid with whatever rookie(s) we draft this year. Maybe Smitty had good reason, but there is a line to be drawn in terms of just being a professional.

yes I am sure that's it.more like he didn't want SS cussing him out.

I saw a couple of days ago & it somewhat changed my perspective. However, if they had been putting up w/ it for this long then why do decide they can't take it anymore now?! & I'm not so sure there could have been that much of a locker room issue at all this yr w/ they way whe team was winning. was it really bad enough for them to decide to cut him & start from scratch after finally making themselves a contender. & why aren't the players happy to see him go? So many questions...jus doesn't add up

Guest Dark Knight

So what DC is saying is that players don't want to be called out for not doing their job...

Here's a crazy idea... Then do you're f*cking job!!!

It's not the players job to coach, call out, & harass teammates.

Do you really believe that?

Apparently you didn't see Hardy's interview on NFL Network. The only reason they had a turn around last season was because some of the guys (Hardy, Smith, Gross) said enough was enough. At the end of the day players have to hold each other accountable and if you don't believe that then you obviously haven't played any kind of an organized sport at a particularly semi-competitive level.

Only in America can guys that make 12 million dollars make excuses for why they aren't busting their ass and doing their job.

This may ruffle a few peoples feathers but a large part of Steve's problem this year involved his inability to look at himself. If you're an All-Pro making dazzling catches then we all expect you to hold your team mates to that standard but let's face it. Smitty had some issues this year. He was the best wide receiver we had but that wasn't saying much. The drop of over the last two years has been noticeable. He had some critical drops and he left some plays out on the field. If he was pointing the finger at Cam then I can see why the team considered moving on. Do I agree? Heck naw.

If you have an argument with your girlfriend or brother or sister or wife you talk about it and try to solve the problem. If communication was sooooo great in the locker room the coaches should have talked to the Panther GOAT and tried to correct the problem.

Apparently you didn't see Hardy's interview on NFL Network. The only reason they had a turn around last season was because some of the guys (Hardy, Smith, Gross) said enough was enough. At the end of the day players have to hold each other accountable and if you don't believe that then you obviously haven't played any kind of an organized sport at a particularly semi-competitive level.

Only in America can guys that make 12 million dollars make excuses for why they aren't busting their ass and doing their job.

There's a difference in being a leader and being an asshat bully in the locker room. Let me ask you this question: was Steve smith coaching ken Lucas?

Guest Dark Knight

I was at training camp when Jarrett was a rookie. He ran the wrong route and interfered with Steve and actually tripped him up accidentally. Steve jumped up, shoved him, and started yelling at him.

I was also at camp LaFell/Gettis/Clausen's rookie year. He was in the face of one of them nonstop. Yelling, cursing, intimidating.

Carolina is going to be drafting a few WRs. They don't want that BS around them.

Sure, Steve can give inspiring speeches and help teach young guys. But he also demands the ball and blows his lid and goes off on them in a way he shouldn't.

And don't say that was the old Steve and he's different now. I was at the Seahawks game when he went off on Armond. Did he have reason to be upset? Definitely. Did her have a right to talk to him and get on him? Sure. Was it okay for him to get in his face and intimidate him, belittle him, and curse him out while he followed him around the sideline and stuff his face in Armond's? Absolutely not. It would've served him right if Armond had popped him in the nose.

Last year he threw Cam under the bus when talking to the media.

The team decided they are going to draft some young WRs. With that goal in place Steve is better off gone.

Yup.

Because if you played with Kobe Bryant, Chipper Jones, Peyton Manning, etc. you would not expect them too coach the other younger players on the roster.

Come on man, why do you have team captains if not to help coach the younger guys and point out things they did wrong?

Archived