Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WarPanthers89

DJ Moore’s Rookie year

Recommended Posts

Obviously we have ONE OF the most exciting wide receiver groups in the history of the team with Moore, Samuel and Wright. How do you grade his rookie year?  What do you think his potential will be going forward?

I enjoyed a nice stat that Rodrigue posted: over half of his average yards were after the catch. 

 

4D0F40BC-9796-4263-BA93-E9E7553A1797.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I disagree with all those who say we need a #1 receiver.  I think we have one in Moore, and Samuel/Wright are solid as well.  Receiver corps could end up being the best we have had since the 03 season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey look everyone... the Panthers FO finally gave Cam some legit weapons after 8 years.

 

Yes, Moore is gonna be special. Maybe not Smitty special but he’s gonna be good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised that Rodrigue, or anyone else, had to stumble upon that stat to know how effective he was after the catch. Anyone who watched any of his highlights would have immediately seen and recognized how dangerous he is after the catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like moore is incredible at changing direction immediately afte rthe catch, which is what they teach the WR to do in new england, or they did back when they had good WR

basically you're cutting back against the momentum of the corner and the rest of the defense, so you can always grab 5 - 10 easy yards afterwards before a safety can get to you

DJ's problem is he's always looking to break it, and doesn't realize that he's got someone coming from behind him at full speed. And next season if I'm an opposing DB coach I'm telling them all to go for the ball against DJ. Punch that poo right out from behind. 

It's just a bad habit from college he has to get out of. Obviously in college that random ass linebacker or corner isn't coming up behind him, or isn't fast enough to get there. Now in the pros, everyone is that fast, and they are always pursuing because you can't hide from tape.

It reminds me of CMC his rookie year ALWAYS cutting back inside, because in college he could get away with that. But in the pros, there's someone coming for you, and he didn't do that at all this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. It was nice to watch his season highlights and see some comparisons to Smitty. Hopefully he will continue to grow and develop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

like moore is incredible at changing direction immediately afte rthe catch, which is what they teach the WR to do in new england, or they did back when they had good WR

basically you're cutting back against the momentum of the corner and the rest of the defense, so you can always grab 5 - 10 easy yards afterwards before a safety can get to you

DJ's problem is he's always looking to break it, and doesn't realize that he's got someone coming from behind him at full speed. And next season if I'm an opposing DB coach I'm telling them all to go for the ball against DJ. Punch that poo right out from behind. 

It's just a bad habit from college he has to get out of. Obviously in college that random ass linebacker or corner isn't coming up behind him, or isn't fast enough to get there. Now in the pros, everyone is that fast, and they are always pursuing because you can't hide from tape.

It reminds me of CMC his rookie year ALWAYS cutting back inside, because in college he could get away with that. But in the pros, there's someone coming for you, and he didn't do that at all this season. 

This x100. We had a knack for fumbling at the end of big plays which completely took the energy out of the team. He may have only had 3 fumbles, but they were all on 20+ yard plays probably in the opponent's territory. Those are KILLERS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, he fumbled multiple times to kill momentum. Samuel fumbled one time to kill momentum, and Wright fumbled one time to kill momentum (as well as dropped a pass). 

Ball security is key, or your excellent play is muted. 

This may be one reason why they decided to move on from Taylor.

Get that fixed and Cam fixed (or a QB that can get the ball to the open man accurately [esp. Samuel who is an excellent route runner]), and another bigger play maker at the position, and our receiving corps will be devastating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Moore but man we overlook Samuel. How many wide open TDs could have had if Cam could throw it? He has blazing speed and gets open. He barely played the first 5 games and still had almost 500 yards and 5 TDs with a gimpy Cam. I can’t wait to see both of them with a healthy Cam and I pray it’s next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

Hey look everyone... the Panthers FO finally gave Cam some legit weapons after 8 years.

 

Yes, Moore is gonna be special. Maybe not Smitty special but he’s gonna be good

Yeah and now Cam can't throw it more than 20 yds down field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Surprised that Rodrigue, or anyone else, had to stumble upon that stat to know how effective he was after the catch. Anyone who watched any of his highlights would have immediately seen and recognized how dangerous he is after the catch.

And how poor he is before the catch.  Big fan of Moore btw, coaching staff misused him all season though (just like so many others on offense).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the fumbles, Steve Smith had fumble issues his first couple of years, and he fixed the issue.  I think Moore will as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I disagree with all those who say we need a #1 receiver.  I think we have one in Moore, and Samuel/Wright are solid as well.  Receiver corps could end up being the best we have had since the 03 season.  

There are people that don't think Moore can be a number 1?  These people clearly didn't watch this kid play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      19,837
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    HardcoreHokie
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      144,604
    • Total Posts
      4,723,849
  • Posts

    • The people who whine 18 hours a day online don't go to games. It's all good.
    • Had a buddy years ago who bought a $500 old chevy truck on craigslist. All he did was drive that thing around picking up free furniture, non-working appliances, and stuff like that, and made a living doing it. He owns his own electronics repair shop now.
    • is the negativity and pessimists to slow it down and ALL panthers fans to rally behind the team. Here's why; We had a near perfect off-season with limited money and almost accomplished all our goals even with cap limitations, unlike some teams. We improved in almost every area (yes on paper) except maybe FS, but we have to wait and see and we can't expect everything. Hurney and Rivera deserve a lot of credit for what they did this year. If things falls right, with the lower expectations this team could and should sneak up on a lot of teams. Yes we have to stay healthy, new players have to learn a new system and guys on the lines have to gel. But if they do start to take shape then we have a team that will not only have a real good year but could go deep into the playoffs.  The things Tepper and the new way the team is operating is going to bring more energy and excitement to games which needs the loyal fans to not sell their tickets to visiting fans, show up and be loud at the games. That's all that could be missing in a magical season. I also think this team is being built to stay competitive for years and that's another reason to be positive. I may be a homer but I see more positives. There's always gonna be a question or a concern, but every team has them. Let's give it a chance and that starts where fans can make the biggest difference, at games, being loud and give us home field advantage at BofA stadium. Let's try and do what the Roaring Riot does, promote energy and excitement from the fans in support of the team. 
×
×
  • Create New...