Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Kyle Bailey suggests defense going 3-4 is an option

Recommended Posts

I only read pages 1 and 9 because most of you suck.

Would a 3-4 make it easier to go into nickel or does it not matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Poe- NT 

KK- DT

Luke and Shaq- ILB

Thats your solid core

 

The rumor why we're going to this is to generate pressure, something we were among the bottom of the league at this year.  So your focus is on that front 7, so thatll be your focus.  Sadly that means the FS spot will not be a big splash FA or draft pick.  SS Reid comes back.

 

Now to add pieces to the front 7.

 

First off, trade Addison. 

He doesnt fit the scheme.  Removing his contract from us Also helps. 

Potential partner. Bills.  No not because the typical connection.  They need a 4-3 DE.  Shaq Lawson, they picked up his 5th option.  He has been a Big disappointment there and they think he could be on the move.  Shaq Lawson coming out, scouts seemed to think he would be better as a 3-4 OLB 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/shaq-lawson?id=2555252

If he doesnt work out, he is off the books the next year.

 

 

Big FA- Anthony Barr. He is listed as a 4-3 LB as he plays that in Minnesota and has been a beast.  In college he was more of a 3-4 OLB recording 24 sacks his last 2 seasons.  He has it all including the versatility to drop in coverage if needed.

 

Draft:

1st: Brian Burns

2nd: Zach Allen- beast 3-4 DE out of BC

Why not just pay the money for a top level pass rusher 43 DE.. (Clowney, Clark, Flowers,) draft one in this Dline heavy draft.. Keep what you have like addison.. And you have a solid Dline..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Why not just pay the money for a top level pass rusher 43 DE.. (Clowney, Clark, Flowers,) draft one in this Dline heavy draft.. Keep what you have like addison.. And you have a solid Dline..

Clowny cabt play the 3-4 OLB, they already experimented that with him in Houston his first 3 seasons. And he was dam near slapped the bust label.

They moved him back on the line as a 3-4 DE he started out slow, then the last year and a half blew up.

He will also cost about 5 mil more a year than a Barr. Would be foolish to throw that much money like that away to him there when we have so little cap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Clowny cabt play the 3-4 OLB, they already experimented that with him in Houston his first 3 seasons. And he was dam near slapped the bust label.

They moved him back on the line as a 3-4 DE he started out slow, then the last year and a half blew up.

He will also cost about 5 mil more a year than a Barr. Would be foolish to throw that much money like that away to him there when we have so little cap

Clowney got hurt his 1st few years .. Him being called a bust had nothing to do with position change.. 

He has Played DE in a 43 before and has the size and athletic ability to do so.. If you can get a freak talent like him you get him.. Not to mention the fact Clowney is the perfect player to have if you want to have a Hybrid defensive scheme..

I'm glad you like Barr but he has had down years as well and isn't imo great enough for me to pay alot of money for make a scheme change and only see the benefit 2 years down the road when he's 29.. Not smart..

I also name 2 other younger DE we can pay as well.. What about them..

Clark just had a 14 sack season after a 10 sack season the year before and is 25..

Flowers is perfect in a 3/4 and 43 hybrid defensive role since he has done it in New England.. And he is coming off a strong season..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Injuries did hit Clowney, but he was Terrible at OLB thats where he was getting the bust label.

He11 Vernon Butler has had injuries as well here like Clowney did but just like Clowney.  Thay wasnt used as the bust excuse.  He didnt show anything until he was back om the line.

 

Havnt looked into Clark

 

And yes Flowers is a good one, but prefer Barr

But again your making the least amount of moves with younger players to improve your defense.. You add 2 DE and some secondary help and tweak your scheme with better younger players.. Instead of changing your scheme having to get more players to play in it. Easier transition with a better chance of competing and filling more holes on the team my way..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sub Zero said:

Fellas when thinking about this do me a favour .  Go look at the other 3/4 teams in the league. 

Look for..

Avg. Size and weight, of the position groups..

Then combine times of the agility, speed, strength and explosive drills (the 40, cone drills, broad and vertical jumps, weights).  Also did they work in a few groups like (DE, LB)

Finally what they played in college and their production history.  

Than compare that to the players on the roster??

That makes this exercise easier to form a opinion on..

I did all of this, Addison was projected as an OLB and did those drills in the combine. 

 

Thompson was looked at as a 3-4 ILB or WILL in the draft. Navarro is 6-0 and 240 lbs, pretty similar to Thompson. Shaq played ILB in college as well. 

Horton is 6-5 and 265, surprisingly he was listed at DE and OLB in draft profiles but with his skill set and size now he would project easily as a 3-4 end at worst for depth. 

KK is 29, not 31. he is probably the biggest reach I made at playing 3-4 end. Everything else I mentioned is based off draft profiles, skill sets..ext..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

I did all of this, Addison was projected as an OLB and did those drills in the combine. 

 

Thompson was looked at as a 3-4 ILB or WILL in the draft. Navarro is 6-0 and 240 lbs, pretty similar to Thompson. Shaq played ILB in college as well. 

Horton is 6-5 and 265, surprisingly he was listed at DE and OLB in draft profiles but with his skill set and size now he would project easily as a 3-4 end at worst for depth. 

KK is 29, not 31. he is probably the biggest reach I made at playing 3-4 end. Everything else I mentioned is based off draft profiles, skill sets..ext..

 

 

Addison OLB thing was 8 years ago before he spent 8 years gaining weight adding muscle losing flexibility.. Not to mention again that idea was based off draft scouts looking at his size and speed coming out of college and guessing what he might be able to do because again he wasn't playing olb in college.. His hands were always in the dirt.... Now he is 31 it's a different story now.. He doesn't have the time nor the youth to make that change..

Okay put Thompson in at ilb even thoe he still isn't big enough (as the avg. Ilb in a 3/4 ) and the only example you use to a player who (was still bigger than Shaq) got hurt and only had 2 to 3 years of great play at the position..

Again Horton is a FA.. You have to resign him to play in a defense he has never played before.. He isn't young.. So why do this because based on his size you think he can do it?? Instead of just getting a player who has..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sub Zero said:

Why not just pay the money for a top level pass rusher 43 DE.. (Clowney, Clark, Flowers,) draft one in this Dline heavy draft.. Keep what you have like addison.. And you have a solid Dline..

That ^ makes a lot sense also.  Even if you don't get one of the top guys, I think there is a good chance they get tagged or resigned with their own team, you might could add someone like Brandon Graham.

Then for DT I really think we could probably find a day 1 starter in the second round.  This class is really deep at DT.

Graham - Butler - Draft Pick - Addison: doesn't sound too bad.  Upgrading just one or two spots on the D-line can help the other guys also.

Back ups could be

Horton/cheap FA - Butler - Love - Haynes

If Peppers comes back for one more year that is some more depth.  Also if they cut Poe they free up some cap to help offset singing a FA DE.

Maybe there is a good DE in the 1st and you grab him and he doesn't have to start, or maybe a corner or safety.  There are others way to improve the defense then just the D-line.

I'm not totally opposed to going 3-4, I just hope it doesn't force us to reach in the draft.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Addison OLB thing was 8 years ago before he spent 8 years gaining weight adding muscle losing flexibility.. Not to mention again that idea was based off draft scouts looking at his size and speed coming out of college and guessing what he might be able to do because again he wasn't playing olb in college.. His hands were always in the dirt.... Now he is 31 it's a different story now.. He doesn't have the time nor the youth to make that change..

Okay put Thompson in at ilb even thoe he still isn't big enough (as the avg. Ilb in a 3/4 ) and the only example you use to a player who (was still bigger than Shaq) got hurt and only had 2 to 3 years of great play at the position..

Again Horton is a FA.. You have to resign him to play in a defense he has never played before.. He isn't young.. So why do this because based on his size you think he can do it?? Instead of just getting a player who has..

 

I'm not sure what else we can say to convince this crowd.  Moving to a 3-4 would take so much personnel change and we wouldn't have a full roster built for it for 3-4 years.  Again to reiterate, you don't just flip a switch and magically become a 3-4 defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many guys on defense are really so important we would keep the scheme for them? Luke/TD were about it. Norman was great in our system but we cut him anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

I'm not sure what else we can say to convince this crowd.  Moving to a 3-4 would take so much personnel change and we wouldn't have a full roster built for it for 3-4 years.  Again to reiterate, you don't just flip a switch and magically become a 3-4 defense

Agreed.... I don't see the intelligence in this.. Especially for a coach and GM worried about their jobs... Why try and make this big of scheme change in a make it break it year.. When your best and simple move is to rebuild your DE situation and add a few younger options in your secondary..

Oh and guess what .. FATE has given you a gift.. One of the strongest Dline drafts in years.  So not only can you sign some viable options you can draft them as well.. Just add to the older pieces you already have and tweak the scheme with younger and better players. 

I don't see why this isn't a easier and cheaper option while trying to save your job..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

I'm not sure what else we can say to convince this crowd.  Moving to a 3-4 would take so much personnel change and we wouldn't have a full roster built for it for 3-4 years.  Again to reiterate, you don't just flip a switch and magically become a 3-4 defense

Rams last year, switched to a 3-4. It's possible to switch and have depth. The defense in Carolina sucked, if the team is thinking about switching which seams to be the case...then they obviously think they have the players for it or will after draft and fa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KendrickPanther said:

How many guys on defense are really so important we would keep the scheme for them? Luke/TD were about it. Norman was great in our system but we cut him anyways.

Good question.. None really .. The problem is this is a 2 to 3 year move and your coach and GM are fighting for their jobs.. They don't have 2 to 3 years..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Rams last year, switched to a 3-4. It's possible to switch and have depth. The defense in Carolina sucked, if the team is thinking about switching which seams to be the case...then they obviously think they have the players for it or will after draft and fa. 

 

Where do you see a 3/4 base defense... Since signing SUh . They have alot of diversity in their scheme.. They can line up in both schemes.. Way better players and they started this 2017.. So yeah it has been 2 years for this.. Not to mention they still aren't a great defensive team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Where do you see a 3/4 base defense.. They have alot of diversity in their scheme.. They can line up in both schemes.. Way better players and they started this 2017.. So yeah it has been 2 years for this..

Not to mention that the Rams defense was very porous this year, ranking worse than Carolina's (even though they had A LOT more talent).  If you want to suck even more for at least 2-4 years on defense, then sure let's move to a 3-4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...