Jump to content
Carolina Huddle

Matthias

Reparations Roll Call: Sign up here!

Recommended Posts

On 3/2/2019 at 12:06 PM, Zaximus said:

I was a bit too but I don't think something like this can happen yet and he probably knows it.    However, if someone like Bernie takes office and pushes down plans and people get more used to things like new social programs to help out Americans I believe after seeing the fruit of this people would be more on board with things like reparations for descendants of slaves and other wronged races.     I think we have to change this country's mindset first and then the potential of what we can do is limitless.    Things like higher pay, universal healthcare, free public college, etc. will be a big step on getting EVERYONE heading in the right direction, and once that happens, we can fine tune things like trying to compensate people for the wrong this country has done to the best of our ability.     It's the only way to move forward.    

I agree. I support some form of reparations but I also fear that issue dividing too much of the Democrats in the next election. For the love of God we must get Trump out of the White House.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Matthias said:

These aren't real questions about reparations.  Is there a legacy and cost of slavery and Jim Crow that is being borne by American descendants of slaves?  If the answer is yes, then reparations are owed.  These questions do not cancel the need for reparations, and it's mostly nonsensical.

They certainly are real questions that will certainly be asked.  I’m not saying these questions will cancel out the ‘need’ for reparations, but it’s not going to be easy.  You labeling these questions, or any questions about reparations, nonsensical isn’t helping your cause.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the gesture is nice, and in theory it makes sense to do, the bureaucracy headache it would cause would be insane.

First you have to comb every record to find out who exactly is a descendant of slavery. And if someone is but they can't provide proof, then what?

Next you have to set a limit with their current income. What of they were a descendant of slavery but are now rich? Do they get money too? Is it fair for them to get something?

What about the poor who aren't from slavery? Are they just going to sit there and be all ... "cool" while their neighbor gets some money and they don't?

Native Americans, Latinos, people from the West Indies, Arabs, and certain European immigrants who may be poor and can't make it in a "white world" ... do they get anything?

The jealousy, anger, debate, et al this would cause is why it will never happen.

 

 

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matthias said:

These aren't real questions about reparations.  Is there a legacy and cost of slavery and Jim Crow that is being borne by American descendants of slaves?  If the answer is yes, then reparations are owed.  These questions do not cancel the need for reparations, and it's mostly nonsensical.

What if my wife is a descendent of a slave but we’re well off?  Does she still qualify?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Still Brooklyn said:

While the gesture is nice, and in theory it makes sense to do, the bureaucracy headache it would cause would be insane.

First you have to comb every record to find out who exactly is a descendant of slavery. And if someone is but they can't provide proof, then what?

Next you have to set a limit with their current income. What of they were a descendant of slavery but are now rich? Do they get money too? Is it fair for them to get something?

What about the poor who aren't from slavery? Are they just going to sit there and be all ... "cool" while their neighbor gets some money and they don't?

Native Americans, Latinos, people from the West Indies, Arabs, and certain European immigrants who may be poor and can't make it in a "white world" ... do they get anything?

The jealousy, anger, debate, et al this would cause is why it will never happen.

 

 

Exactly, too many moving parts, too many people bring left out, too much money, and too unrealistic.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 3/2/2019 at 4:05 PM, Matthias said:

We will also tax wealthy businesses like Amazon.  You know, companies who haven't paid taxes in years.  All of that will cease in the age of reparations.

Good luck with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course I've discussed many of these things in my past threads.  I encourage everyone to go through them and see my answer as to who gets reparations, and what I see happening with that.  What is more interesting to me is, because a lot of people feel as though we can't do reparations, we should then just let black Americans suffer instead.  Is that the correct answer?  No amount of general social programs will lift us out of this hole America put us in.  Is that not what the Civil Rights movement was about?  We got the Fair Housing Act, we got the Voting Rights Act, all of that and we are still at the bottom, with the bottom about to fall out.

Oh, but the Green New Deal is going to solve our problems right?  UBI, Medicare for all, Job Guarantees?  None of these things will give ADOS what they need to be made whole.  Yeah, it will give poor white people what they need.  It will give poor Asian Americans and Latino Americans what they need.  Yet none of them have this legacy of slavery.  None of them are in jail at the numbers we are.  We were made to fail in this country.  Everyone who came here, came here willingly.  We came here as property.  Universal programs won't help us, it never has.  We need this country to fix us first, then we can talk about those things.

Edited by Matthias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthias said:

Of course I've discussed many of these things in my past threads.  I encourage everyone to go through them and see my answer as to who gets reparations, and what I see happening with that.  What is more interesting to me is, because a lot of people feel as though we can't do reparations, we should then just let black Americans suffer instead.  Is that the correct answer?  No amount of general social programs will lift us out of this hole America put us in.  Is that not what the Civil Rights movement was about?  We got the Fair Housing Act, we got the Voting Rights Act, all of that and we are still at the bottom, with the bottom about to fall out.

Oh, but the Green New Deal is going to solve our problems right?  UBI, Medicare for all, Job Guarantees?  None of these things will give ADOS what they need to be made whole.  Yeah, it will give poor white people what they need.  It will give poor Asian Americans and Latino Americans what they need.  Yet none of them have this legacy of slavery.  None of them are in jail at the numbers we are.  We were made to fail in this country.  Everyone who came here, came here willingly.  We came here as property.  Universal programs won't help us, it never has.  We need this country to fix us first, then we can talk about those things.

This is why black folks need to demand what they are owed, the LGBT community has no problem pushing for equal rights, his hispanics have no problem pushing for immigration reform but black folks are always told to get in line and whats good for everyone else is good for them. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, countryboi said:

This is why black folks need to demand what they are owed, the LGBT community has no problem pushing for equal rights, his hispanics have no problem pushing for immigration reform but black folks are always told to get in line and whats good for everyone else is good for them. 

I'm have to agree with that sentiment.  I've always felt like black American struggle has been used as a mascot to push different causes.  Then on the other hand I think about the Civil Rights Movement, and how it took seeing black people get beat down and water hoses sprayed on them before this country realized, "Oh, black people are human to, and they deserve basic rights".  

After all that, even those basic rights are still questionable for us.  So in spite of all the things going on in our country today, black Americans are tired of waiting around before our issues are addressed directly.  Reparations would be revolutionary and transformative for our politics and everyone.  Such a policy like this would be the best change for our country, but at the end of the day, for me and others, this is my number one issue now and moving forward.  Until it is realized.

  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black people need to get out and vote more (I mean everyone does) but definitely them.    The only thing normal Americans have anymore is the power of their vote and that is exactly how people will start listening to things like reparations.   

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of whites, blacks vote more than any other group.

Anyways, it’s now or never with reparations. As the racial wealth gap, continues to widen, AA’s will be worth $0 come 2053. Not to mention, boomers are about to pass > $30 billion in inheritance to gen X and millennials in the next few decades. Our boomers don’t really have anything to give.

Those Bernie bros and Green new deal fighters will get the universal benefits, plus inheritance. That leaves AA at the bottom.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


25 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Anyways, it’s now or never with reparations. As the racial wealth gap, continues to widen, AA’s will be worth $0 come 2053.

Those Bernie bros and Green new deal fighters will get the universal benefits, plus inheritance. That leaves AA at the bottom.

Couple things. 

Can you clarify how it will become $0? Because either that means AA’s won’t exist or the majority will be so far in debt to banks and lenders. I never got this metric since zero is an absolute. If it was $1 or $100 that would make sense. Or even -$100. But zero just make no sense. 

Also the Green New Deal is dead in the water and was never anything to begin with. It was basically the freshmen(*cough* AOC) patting themselves on the back. Even hardcore climate change senators and congressional delegates scoff at it. It even wants to remove Hydro power(how stupid does someone have to be to want to remove the best clean energy source invented that is thousands of years old) and demand everything be solar and wind. Which is a feeble minded attempt to garner media attention, Which it did.(that’s straight from the hill. No media{social or otherwise} bias.)

 

Edited by Harbingers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Couple things. 

Can you clarify how it will become $0? Because either that means AA’s won’t exist or the majority will be so far in debt to banks and lenders. I never got this metric since zero is an absolute. If it was $1 or $100 that would make sense. Or even -$100. But zero just make no sense. 

Also the Green New Deal is dead in the water and was never anything to begin with. It was basically the freshmen(*cough* AOC) patting themselves on the back. Even hardcore climate change senators and congressional delegates scoff at it. It even wants to remove Hydro power(how stupid does someone have to be to want to remove the best clean energy source invented that is thousands of years old) and demand everything be solar and wind. Which is a feeble minded attempt to garner media attention, Which it did.(that’s straight from the hill. No media{social or otherwise} bias.)

 

Median wealth of AA’s will be at zero. The majority will be in debt.

And my point in bringing up the Green New Deal or any universal benefits is it does AA’s no good, when even with all that, we’d still be at the bottom. 

With those white generation X’ers and millennials about to be bailed out soon by there boomer relatives, adding universal benefits is just icing to the cake for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AggieLean said:

Median wealth of AA’s will be at zero. The majority will be in debt.

And my point in bringing up the Green New Deal or any universal benefits is it does AA’s no good, when even with all that, we’d still be at the bottom. 

With those white generation X’ers and millennials about to be bailed out soon by there boomer relatives, adding universal benefits is just icing to the cake for them. 

I’d like to see a metric if you can post it because obviously not every single AA is going to be in debt, id like to see where the split is. 

——

And my point is they won’t pass even a democratic controlled congress. So it’s splitting hairs to bring it up. Let’s find something that will benifit everyone in the lower economic grades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For mostly the top 10%, there is about to be a great wealth transfer.  From anywhere of 30 trillion, to 68 trillion dollars.  Since over 90% of the nation's wealth is locked within white America, the this transfer in turn will almost entirely be among white families.  The only inheritance American descendants of slaves can receive, is reparations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/22/how-to-prepare-your-heirs-for-the-68-trillion-great-wealth-transfer.html

 

Quote

Over the next 25 years, according to a report from research firm Cerulli Associates, 45 million U.S. households will pass a mind-boggling $68 trillion to their children — the biggest generational wealth transfer ever.

 

Edited by Matthias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...