Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

13 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

They're on eBay for $50.

Those are not true rookie cards you have to pay up to get a real rookie card. Sage,and Leaf are collegiate cards.

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

And that’s entirely because of who you root for, so no logic is applied

No, that just the reality of drafting  a QB in the 3rd round. As I said, for every Russell Wilson there are 15 Eric Zeiers. Since 2000, there have been 25 QBs drafted in the 3rd round, 3 have been to a pro bowl. 3 have winning records. After Wilson , there's  huge drop off to Foles and Schaub, then the bottom really falls out after that.

17 of the 25 have started 16 games or fewer. 5 never started a game.  Odds that a 3rd round QB will be good just aren't good.

PFR draft finder, 3rd round QBs from 2000 to the present:

http://pfref.com/tiny/83cx9

8 minutes ago, falconidae said:

No, that just the reality of drafting  a QB in the 3rd round. As I said, for every Russell Wilson there are 15 Eric Zeiers. Since 2000, there have been 25 QBs drafted in the 3rd round, 3 have been to a pro bowl. 3 have winning records. After Wilson , there's  huge drop off to Foles and Schaub, then the bottom really falls out after that.

17 of the 25 have started 16 games or fewer. 5 never started a game.  Odds that a 3rd round QB will be good just aren't good.

You can post this until you’re blue in the face. People still aren’t going to accept it. 

Apparently, thinking this was a bad idea means you have some sort of agenda or hate puppies or something. It’s hard to keep up. 

It’s good to hear an unbiased view. 

26 minutes ago, falconidae said:

So, he doesn't work out.  We draft another QB in the 3rd next year.  Most teams recognize that the chance of drafting one of the Pro Bowl QBs is worth when you miss out the other times.  You could take that number and extrapolate it to any QB taken outside the top 10 and probably get similar results.

25 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You can post this until you’re blue in the face. People still aren’t going to accept it. 

Apparently, thinking this was a bad idea means you have some sort of agenda or hate puppies or something. It’s hard to keep up. 

says guy whose name is from a place in Auburn

It's good to read another unbiased reply

I didn't like this pick simply because of the inevitable controversy that it is going to cause. As soon as Cam has a bad game or two, there will be those calling for Grier to start. And I don't mean just the Huddlers, but also the sports media in general. It seems as though most of the media are not Cam fans and will jump at any opportunity to get him out of the picture. As soon as the media calls for Will to play, the bandwagon will begin to fill. That's just the way it is. So I would have liked to have seen the Panthers go in a different direction with this pick, even if the team did need a quality backup QB.

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If there is one misconception I wish people understood is complete false, it's that teams in general - and the current Panthers specifically - are not willing to just let a whole season of football go for the loss of one player.

You don't tell 52 other guys you're just mailing it on because one guy went down. Not to mention that the coach and GM need to win to justify keeping them.

The Colts seem to have no issues having done this twice, once when Manning got hurt and again when they sat Luck the a year. 

20 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

says guy whose name is from a place in Auburn

It's good to read another unbiased reply

Thanks for proving my point. Find me a post where I discussed Cam, at all. About anything? There has to be a reason right? It can’t be that it makes sense to not waste draft capital on insurance that if used would probably become irrelevant and the team is still drafting a QB again in 2020. 

What bias is there in the overwhelming stats against later round QBs posted above. Take your emotion out of it. If this was another team I would recommend the same thing. 

All for a QB we hope never plays? Don’t we? 

8 hours ago, TheRed said:

Mods ya'll gotta clean this up. Wow. Just wow.

God luck with that. This is a "good people on both sides crowd."

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

Thanks for proving my point. Find me a post where I discussed Cam, at all. About anything? There has to be a reason right? It can’t be that it makes sense to not waste draft capital on insurance that if used would probably become irrelevant and the team is still drafting a QB again in 2020. 

What bias is there in the overwhelming stats against later round QBs posted above. Take your emotion out of it. If this was another team I would recommend the same thing. 

All for a QB we hope never plays? Don’t we? 

What position would not be wasting draft capital? Safety? Is Rashaan Gaulden invaluable draft capital too?

5 hours ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

can someone hook me up with nolan nawrocki's analysis of grier's smile? does grier know where the cameras are at all times? his family sure does lol

At all times? Looks like it 

F0E2C6C1-B059-46FA-8C6F-9A32BDAD41C4.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

What position would not be wasting draft capital? Safety? Is Rashaan Gaulden invaluable draft capital too?

Name me another position where you draft a player and your best case scenario is he never plays a meaningful snap. 

Now it’s ridiculous apples to oranges comparisons. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Name me another position where you draft a player and your best case scenario is he never plays a meaningful snap. 

Now it’s ridiculous apples to oranges comparisons. 

Chad Cotas are still out there 

3 hours ago, Toomers said:

Unless the Turner's know they can fix this kids release and windup we are going to get hosed on the pick. He's a much better fit in the WCO than the Coryell at this point with his weak arm.