Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

Name your 5 Panthers receivers.

6 hours ago, MechaZain said:

DJ Moore

Curtis Samuel

Jarius Wright

Torrey Smith

Chris Hogan

This is what I think it will be. But I would like:

DJ 

Curtis Samuel 

Jarius Wright 

Hogan 

Godwin. 

Moore, Samuel, Hogan, Wright and....Ross (speed and return ability).  If we carry 3 QBs, then 5 WRs it probably will be.

7 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Torrey was brought in as a deep threat and his QB couldn't throw it so I'm giving him a pass on last season. 

Look at his trend on yards per reception. It refutes your above mentioned premise.

$5 million is only a bargain IF Torrey somehow cracks the top three WR slots.  If not,  that whole theory of a bargain salary for a veteran WR is pretty well sunk.  Maybe, just maybe, that's what Hurney is waiting around for, a chance to see if Smith can crack the top 3-4 spots to justify his salary.  If not, then he's cut and Torrey can't blame anyone but himself for being released.  In others words, Hurney is apparently going to give him a crack at it first and show it's not just about the $5 million if Smith can't beat out Hogan and Wright if/when released.

12 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Torrey was brought in as a deep threat and his QB couldn't throw it so I'm giving him a pass on last season. 

When he was healthy he made some plays...but you are correct in that our QB could not throw it 15 yds

i expect smith to not only be on the team, but to be an impact player 

and dont anyone forget...cmc and Olson are also receivers 

12 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

You honestly think Smith and Godwin will get in over Wright?

Smith and Wright are aging stopgaps. Moore and especially Samuel provide speed! Godwin is a younger, better version of Wright (mark my words). Godwin is probably also more versatile than Wright as he could believably play on the outside. 

As Godwin and Samuel can play the slot, I just see Wright's skill set as more redundant than Smith's. But honestly, I wouldn't cry if we ultimately unload one or the other, or both.

DJ Moore(Z

Samuel (X

Goodwin(soft hand guy take place Wright in slot

Hogan/Smith(vet

Ross/Frazier(returner

i think it will take 6WR,last spot to be watched.

10 hours ago, top dawg said:

Smith and Wright are aging stopgaps. Moore and especially Samuel provide speed! Godwin is a younger, better version of Wright (mark my words). Godwin is probably also more versatile than Wright as he could believably play on the outside. 

As Godwin and Samuel can play the slot, I just see Wright's skill set as more redundant than Smith's. But honestly, I wouldn't cry if we ultimately unload one or the other, or both.

There is no way I would get rid of Wright unless a massive drop off is evident. Also, have you seen his career catch percentage? It's nuts. IMO, you can't get rid of such a dependable guy unless they give you ample reason to. Godwin, IMO, is a JAG so we don't share that same outlook. Wright is criminally underrated for the value he provides.

But, it will all get sorted out in training camp and we will have our answers.

Torrey Smith is not making the team.

DJ Moore

Curtis Samuel

Jarius Wright

Chris Hogan

Aldrick Robinson

Godwin will be put on the practice squad.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

There is no way I would get rid of Wright unless a massive drop off is evident. Also, have you seen his career catch percentage? It's nuts. IMO, you can't get rid of such a dependable guy unless they give you ample reason to. Godwin, IMO, is a JAG so we don't share that same outlook. Wright is criminally underrated for the value he provides.

But, it will all get sorted out in training camp and we will have our answers.

Wright is JAG, and that's why the Vikings simply let him go, and it's also why he was not really a coveted or even talked-about receiver when he became a free agent. What he does, any slot receiver worth his weight in gold should do, IMO. Godwin is an ex five star recruit who went to a run-first school, was in an offense that spread the ball to several mouths to feed, ended up in one coach's dawghouse for perceived lack of effort in blocking, had a better season under a regime change, and then was basically derailed by injury during his senior season. But, he still showed enough promise---telltale traits that indicated why he was a five star recruit in the first place---to attract the pros. He is an excellent route runner with insane hands (one drop in 2018, as well as a career with few drops) and high football IQ. The thing that could land him on the PS is only his lack of  functional strength. That's it. That as well as Wright's experience is the only real reason I can see Wright making the roster over him. 

If things go to the normal script, then Rivera (Norv and Hurney) will exclaim the virtues of competition, which will be fully rhetorical in nature, but keep the aging vet per his default position...unless the pressure of Tepper changes things. Godwin making the 53 will be indicative of true change, because he has youth on his side and skills to surpass Wright this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgnation.com/football/3-things-to-know-about-wr-terry-godwin-one-of-georgias-all-time-playmakers/amp

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2018/01/17/terry-godwin-had-highest-wr-rating-of-any-draft-eligible-receiver-still-came-back/

https://mobile.twitter.com/pff_college/status/895759423766921216

18 hours ago, ChibCU said:

Look at his trend on yards per reception. It refutes your above mentioned premise.

So you are saying that since Smith's average dropped because all he could run was shorter routes-because the QB could not throw the nines or sevens--Smith's  bread and butter--you think that disproves his premise (that Smith's stats are not indicative of his ability because Cam could not throw the long ball)?  Not sure that is logical.

You are using the stats that the poster said to ignore last season because Cam was not able to get him the ball.  You are saying, "Yeah, but look at his stats last year!  You are wrong!"  ???  Do I understand your point?

Edited by MHS831
  • Poo 1

13 hours ago, top dawg said:

It is not hard to figure out what the offense is hoping to accomplish.  If Rivera can keep his pecker soft around the vets long enough to make a logical decision, we could see Smith and / or Wright leaving.  I did not see it, but we are suddenly possibly loaded at WR, and the speed is incredible.   If Moore is Steve Smith light and Samuel is a weapon we have not seen since Steve Smith, Hogan and Wright could be competing for a possession WR role. The others? Special teams, salary should play a role.

About free agent WRs--do not go by stats.  At Minnesota, he had a decent to good QB and a terrible OL.  Not much time to develop chemistry.  We could have found a diamond in the rough.

Edited by MHS831

I love Jarius and hope he gets more time on the field.  He is Mr. Reliable at moving the sticks.  May not flash, but he is an asset.  I think Cam trusts him too.  Good chance he plays better in his second year with us.  He knows Norv's system.  Vikes fans were pissed when we signed him.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, top dawg said:

If we cut Wright then Marty and Ron should be fired. There were games last year he was the best receiver on the field

• Pie 2