Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSpecialJuan

REPORT: Panthers interested in Gerald McCoy

6 hours ago, ncsfinest21 said:

I see it like this. If we acquire about him, we have money and a way to get him payed. How we do is beyond me because I see our cap is almost maxed out. But I believe they have a way to be able to sign him somehow if he doesnt sign with the Browns or Ravens.

Maxed out???  We currently have almost 10 million in cap space and are about to add another 7+ million from the Kalil cut in a week.  By no means are we maxed out, or even cap strapped in the slightest.

The issue isn't whether we have the money to sign him (we do), it's whether the team feels his value is worth the price it will take to get him.

Yeah it sounds like we could afford him. The thing that makes me wary of a deal is that we could go one of two ways:

1. Sign a 1 year deal for $11-12 million with no long term risk if his age catches up to him or he starts wearing down from his injuries. This only makes sense if we think we are a DT away from super bowl contention this year because then we lose him next year and still don't have a succession plan after we invariably cut Poe and get rid of Butler.

2. We give him a 3 year, 30 million deal, but then if he starts showing his age or perhaps isn't as effective in our system, we're saddled with a decent sized contract for at least a couple years. Now suddenly we're paying 3 defensive tackles way more than they're worth while having holes to fill elsewhere in the roster.

I was hoping he was looking at something in the 7-8 million range, in which case I'd say go for it. Once $11 million was leaked as the going price, I'm thinking we should bow out of this one and go for a more affordable option like Bailey if we still think we need to shore up the position. 

22 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Yeah it sounds like we could afford him. The thing that makes me wary of a deal is that we could go one of two ways:

1. Sign a 1 year deal for $11-12 million with no long term risk if his age catches up to him or he starts wearing down from his injuries. This only makes sense if we think we are a DT away from super bowl contention this year because then we lose him next year and still don't have a succession plan after we invariably cut Poe and get rid of Butler.

2. We give him a 3 year, 30 million deal, but then if he starts showing his age or perhaps isn't as effective in our system, we're saddled with a decent sized contract for at least a couple years. Now suddenly we're paying 3 defensive tackles way more than they're worth while having holes to fill elsewhere in the roster.

I was hoping he was looking at something in the 7-8 million range, in which case I'd say go for it. Once $11 million was leaked as the going price, I'm thinking we should bow out of this one and go for a more affordable option like Bailey if we still think we need to shore up the position. 

I think it will take a 3 year deal to entice him. But if you can keep the signing bonus to lets say 10 million and guarantee year 1 salary of 4 million he gets his 14 million out of the gate and we guaranteed all of it. If we guarantee his second year salary of 7 million we are guaranteeing 21 million of his 30 million which is a ton but honestly he has shown to be consistent and productive. With KK and Poe with him they would be productive.  Year three is still a manageable 9 million although his cap would be 12.  Three years from now that will be a huge bargain.

he left cleveland without a contract.  good news with that one. onto Baltimore

I read Panthers we're just kicking the tires not going to happen. WTH does that crap mean. Either u want to sign a guy or u don't.

12 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

I read Panthers we're just kicking the tires not going to happen. WTH does that crap mean. Either u want to sign a guy or u don't.

"Interest" doesn't necessarily equate to SERIOUS interest. I'm sure lots of teams would be interested in a player like McCoy at the right price for them, but that right price for them may or may not end up being anywhere near what ends up being his market value. The only way to find out is to call his agent to get a feel of what they're looking for. That very well could've been the extent of the Panthers' "interest".

If the Patriots or Rams or another top contender don't want him, he just might for about $10 mil this year if he thinks we can win this year or next. Maybe 2 years to spread it out. I think it's a great move and would give us plenty of tools of the D-line going forward, especially in case of injury. KK, Poe, Love, McCoy, Mario, Irvin, Burns & Miller (maybe Obada or Cox or Haynes) as the 9th &/or 10th. A lot of speed and pass rushing ability. Also a good pass rush will help the need at FS as being critical. 

Based on what I've seen so far, I think McCoy's "I want to win" comment isn't totally true. It looks like he wants to play for a team that might contend but will also pay him the most money. And it also looks like he wants to stay far away from the NFC South based on who he visited right away. So I'd say it's pretty unlikely he signs with the Panthers. 

From what I read Baltimore sounds like they want him and his familiarity with their D line coach who coached him in Tampa makes them a prime candidate. If they don't sign him which I think they will, he would be a good fit here.

Always have to take the "I want to sign with a contender" talk with a grain of salt.  Everyone wants that.  Richard Sherman was loudly proclaiming that as well when he left Seattle.  Then signed with the 49ers.

That being said, I'd love him here.  I think a ton of people are lowballing Carolina, pretending like the 6-2 start with a healthy Cam Newton didn't happen.  Think losing Funchess is a big deal.  I still think we are solid contenders (assuming key people stay healthy, which is what any contender has to hope for).

I just don't think we can engage in a pricing war with a bunch of other guys that want him.  Browns still have like 33m+ left over.  Ravens are probably tighter than us though (after our Kalil June cut money comes through).

37 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Always have to take the "I want to sign with a contender" talk with a grain of salt.  Everyone wants that.  Richard Sherman was loudly proclaiming that as well when he left Seattle.  Then signed with the 49ers.

That being said, I'd love him here.  I think a ton of people are lowballing Carolina, pretending like the 6-2 start with a healthy Cam Newton didn't happen.  Think losing Funchess is a big deal.  I still think we are solid contenders (assuming key people stay healthy, which is what any contender has to hope for).

I just don't think we can engage in a pricing war with a bunch of other guys that want him.  Browns still have like 33m+ left over.  Ravens are probably tighter than us though (after our Kalil June cut money comes through).

All that is important to these guys is cash....if a contender pays then even better

I saw this thread at the top and mistook the star for a sticky...got real damn excited for about 5 seconds.

I really hope we sign him here. With the Kalil money opening up soon, we can fit him in, and still have money to add a FS if we want.

We fit the bill as a 'contender' and something that he didn't mention, but I'm sure a player of his caliber and drive -- the ability to face his former team 2X a year. 

A front seven of :

McCoy - Poe - KK

Addison - Kuechly - Shaq - Irvin/Burns

Yes, please.

2 hours ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

I think some of it is that these guys are confident enough in their abilities that they think their presence alone can make a team a contender. 

Agreed on the Panthers. With an improved (on paper at least OL) and some added pass rush juice, if Cam is healthy I see no reason why we shouldn't be a lot closer to that 6-2 team of the first half of the season than that 1-7 team of the second half. Funchess is a bum. The guy had one fluke good season and three bum seasons.

4 hours ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

We also don't have any idea how serious the interest is between McCoy and the Panthers. I suspect the fact we were linked to him initially is because we kicked the tires on a deal. 

I will start seeing the smoke to that fire when he makes a visit to Charlotte. 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Heritage Printing

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Not really.  They tend to be no more or less dangerous than most other stock.  Wells stock futures depend on how well the new CEO handles the PR side and can keep their names out of the media. 
    • The DA is going to have a really hard time getting felonious assault to stick against either of them, frankly. There is no way at it will stick against the guy, even going down the list of charges from the video released so far. They might be able to get a brandishing a weapon misdemeanor against him but that’s about it, he gets his gun back & license back unless they judge decides to disallow that. Nothing in his action would push it to the level they are charging him with under Michigan law. They would have had a better chance if they had said felonious assault with the car, but it shows the person moving behind a moving vehicle and him stopping the vehicle. I’m sure there is surveillance video that hasn’t been released yet that they used to decide they couldn’t prove that.  ———— As for the lady, they still have a much better chance proving felonious assault. But it’s still pretty slim. Under Michigan’s self defense law, The lady will claim self defense, putting the burden of proof on the DA that she was not in serious danger, than the jury will have to decide that, than it will move to did she act with malice which the jury will also have to decide again with the BoP being on the DA again. Finally, it will come back around to Felonious assault if both burdens were met on self defense. Which again the DA will have the BoP on proving she acted with intent to kill or cause great bodily harm. Which judging by the restraint used, the fact they were blocked from exiting in the first place before any gun was pulled. Which again, it would seem far more likely they would have charged the male with felonious assault with the vehicle if surveillance showed he directed the car at the person, instead of her moving to block him from exiting and him stopping as the current video appears to show.  If they can’t prove she acted with intent to kill or cause great bodily harm but the burden of self defense isn’t met in the eyes of the jury than she will get the misdemeanor aiming or pointing a firearm at another without malice. If the jury find she acted in self defense and it meets the burden of that law. All charges will be dropped against both parties being charged.   
    • Fogging is an issue for sure with the crap I wear
  • Masters of PIE !