Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

Hire him 

lot of NFL teams went and talked to him about what he was doing.   Had a good record.  Let me see if he still at it. 

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

You could make this argument about any player at any position. By this logic, we shouldn't ever sign another player because they might suck.

PS...in the last 7 years only 2 kickers have been chosen before round-5, and only 1 before round-4.

Oberto Aguayo was chosen in round-2 of the 2016 draft, he washed out of the league after 1 season.   

The point being, cutting a proven veteran kicker for an unproven rookie is playing with fire.

the never punt HS coach.  But I would think he would be at good overall advantage running this vs teams that aren't.  Be interesting to know what other teams do when they play him.  If they play their normal game or adopt his approach for that one game. 

https://coachtube.com/course/football/coach-kevin-kelleys-5-unstoppable-plays-pulaski-academy/3058043

16 years as head coach with a total record of 191-27-1. Before becoming head coach at Pulaski Academy HS, they team had never been past the semifinals and had only been there twice.  Since then, the school has been to 13 semifinals, 10 championship games, and won 7 state championships.  He was has been named USA Today National Coach of the Year, coached in the Under Armour All America Game, appeared in multiple television stories including HBO Real Sports, and a 30 for 30 Short

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, TN05 said:

Because it’s so strange to not want to cut a top-ten kicker because an undrafted kicker who choked all the time in college made two field goals in the first preseason game. 

Expecting him to perform up to his contract is not the same as demanding he be cut now. Has anyone actually said that?

Our current kicker has a history of "choking" too. You do remember why he was available right? Washington knows a thing or two about it. We do as well. If Gano isn't a "choker" with near a decade in the league under his belt, it is entirely unfair to label a rookie that after only one preseason game. You aren't applying the same standards to Gano that you are for Joey S.

Edited by TheRed
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Expecting him to perform up to his contract is not the same as demanding he be cut now. Has anyone actually said that?

Our current kicker has a history of "choking" too. You do remember why he was available right? Washington knows a thing or two about it. We do as well. If Gano isn't a "choker" with near a decade in the league under his belt, it is entirely unfair to label a rookie that after only one preseason game. You aren't applying the same standards to Gano that you are for Joey S.

Because Gano 10 years ago in Washington is just as relevant as Joey Sly 2 years ago in college.

While Sly was in college choking, Gano was the most accurate kicker in the league in 2017 and had a virtually identical # of field goals made to Huddle legend Harrison Butker in 2018. But Joey Sly made a field goal in the preseason so that trumps actual performance, of course.

Edited by TN05

2 minutes ago, TN05 said:

Because Gano 10 years ago in Washington is just as relevant as Joey Sly 2 years ago in college.

Is that why you just brought up Joey's numbers in college only a few posts ago?

6 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Is that why you just brought up Joey's numbers in college only a few posts ago?

If you want to compare, compare Gano’s stats to Joey’s:

Slye/Gano

2014 - 71%/83%
2015 - 77%/83%
2016 - 71%/79%
2017 - 68%/97%

Slye didn’t even play last year, so it’s impossible to compare his numbers. But you look at that and tell me that’s remotely comparable.

8 minutes ago, TN05 said:

If you want to compare, compare Gano’s stats to Joey’s:

Slye/Gano

2014 - 71%/83%
2015 - 77%/83%
2016 - 71%/79%
2017 - 68%/97%

Slye didn’t even play last year, so it’s impossible to compare his numbers. But you look at that and tell me that’s remotely comparable.

What exactly do you think you're going to accomplish in comparing a rookie kickers college numbers to that of a pro that has been in the league a decade?

Yet you accuse others of bias?

12 minutes ago, TheRed said:

What exactly do you think you're going to accomplish in comparing a rookie kickers college numbers to that of a pro that has been in the league a decade?

Yet you accuse others of bias?

I apologize for looking at his record. I was wrong. Those two preseason kicks are more important than years of garbage kicking

Edited by TN05

33 minutes ago, TN05 said:

I apologize for looking at his record. I was wrong. Those two preseason kicks are more important than years of garbage kicking

Slye was 5 of 8 today kicking and was wide right on all the misses. Not great. 

• Beer 2

So the standard now is if a kicker misses a few in practice he sucks?

If that's the case everyone should be in agreement that there is no excuse to miss multiple kicks in the regular season.

Edited by TheRed

2 hours ago, TheRed said:

So the standard now is if a kicker misses a few in practice he sucks?

If that's the case everyone should be in agreement that there is no excuse to miss multiple kicks in the regular season.

I literally just shared facts. I didn’t state my opinion or anything. Way to jump, man. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1