Jump to content
Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devil Doc

Kicker?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Varking said:

I have acknowledged Slye is playing well. I did compliment him by twice now saying he is playing well and that I HOPE HE CONTINUES to play well. I am not some pie-seeking whore. I presented facts and you got mad for some reason. Then when you tried to go at me again I presented facts about the facts and you ignore that to just throw shade. I presented his college stats and pointed out he missed a kick last game. Those are facts. You can look them up and you can see them. I have said I hope he keeps kicking well so we can get something for him or have a new kicker. That is a fact. You can look it up. I don't understand what your issue is with facts?

The only fact that matters is Joey S is making plays in games. Despite the "fact" that you tried to show up here on Wednesday and take something away from his first game by pointing out how he missed a few in practice.

Then on Friday when he plays well again you show up to point out how he actually missed one.

You aren't consistent. No matter how many times you try to fit the word "facts" in one post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The only fact that matters is Joey S is making plays in games. Despite the "fact" that you tried to show up here on Wednesday and take something away from his first game by pointing out how he missed a few in practice.

Then on Friday when he plays well again you show up to point out how he actually missed one.

You aren't consistent. No matter how many times you try to fit the word "facts" in one post.

I want to tell the whole story. Why is it that when a DB gets burned in practice it becomes thread worthy and a point of chat here. When a QB is making plays people come here to talk about it and then they discuss the rest of the practice. For instance, Will Grier with some highlight throws early in camp to Samuel but his play faltered in the later practices. It is good to get both sides of the story. Not just the side you want to see. I can both point out he played well in a game while still missing a kick. No matter how many times you quote me without reason it is still a fact. Also, I don't believe you know what the word consistent means. If I only show up to bring down a player that would be defined as consistent. And I have been consistent in my stance of wanting him to keep doing what he is doing without making it seem like he is without flaw. It is ok to root for a player and understand he isn't perfect. Facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Varking said:

I want to tell the whole story. Why is it that when a DB gets burned in practice it becomes thread worthy and a point of chat here. When a QB is making plays people come here to talk about it and then they discuss the rest of the practice. For instance, Will Grier with some highlight throws early in camp to Samuel but his play faltered in the later practices. It is good to get both sides of the story. Not just the side you want to see. I can both point out he played well in a game while still missing a kick. No matter how many times you quote me without reason it is still a fact. Also, I don't believe you know what the word consistent means. If I only show up to bring down a player that would be defined as consistent. And I have been consistent in my stance of wanting him to keep doing what he is doing without making it seem like he is without flaw. It is ok to root for a player and understand he isn't perfect. Facts.

If you want an honest discussion you will find I am willing. Despite our disagreement I'm not sitting around pooing your posts like the two staunchest Gano fans are doing here.

As far as offensive players burning DB's in practice, of course people are going to talk about that, big offensive plays will always get the attention of fans. It's why they tune in. It's why Cam Newton is immensely popular.

If you tell me straight up that you hope Slye continues to ball out I will take your word for it. But I see no purpose dogging the guy for missing kicks in practice. For all the remarks I have made about Gano, you don't see me waiting around for him to miss a kick in practice so I can say "there, look!". That's all I'm saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheRed said:

If you want an honest discussion you will find I am willing. Despite our disagreement I'm not sitting around pooing your posts like the two staunchest Gano fans are doing here.

As far as offensive players burning DB's in practice, of course people are going to talk about that, big offensive plays will always get the attention of fans. It's why they tune in. It's why Cam Newton is immensely popular.

If you tell me straight up that you hope Slye continues to ball out I will take your word for it. But I see no purpose dogging the guy for missing kicks in practice. For all the remarks I have made about Gano, you don't see me waiting around for him to miss a kick in practice so I can say "there, look!". That's all I'm saying.

That is the thing though. I am not at practice. I am not watching the practices. The only insight I see is from the Tweet threads and from following twitter myself. It was reported that he was like 5 of 8 kicking that day and nobody shared it here almost like they didn't want to acknowledge he was missing some. There was no context on the kicks. They didn't have anyone report the misses or if they were angled or whatever. I have tried to keep my opinions on the huddle to a minimum because everything gets blown up. That is why I started my first post about Gano vs Slye with "I have no dog in this fight". I want all of our players to do well. I dislike the Cam Newton bashing that goes on in this place. I dislike the threads that popped up a year ago about how Luke is clearly done and not the same player he once was only to find him rebounding just fine. I don't like week to week reactionary threads.

Kyle Allen and Will Grier are practicing and playing with people that might not even be on the roster come week 1. It is hard to gauge the performance of a player who is playing against and with non-starters. I refuse to believe the two of them are trash just based off of 2 preseason games with a bunch of starters missing. If Cam Newton had a preseason it may have started the same way and a lot of people would have looked stupid for doubting him after two games. I played high level baseball until two hamstring injuries took away the only thing that made me stand out and it is ingrained in me to not get too high or too low over a small period of time. I can promise if Gano could even practice and people were reporting how he looked I would share that info here the same exact way. I want the best roster possible and I don't care about the name on the back of the jersey ( other than Cam <3 ).

If Slye makes the roster and is up on opening day I am willing to bet we hear Mick say Slye to the left, Slye to the right as the ball drifts during field goals. He may even possibly say criss cross if the ball bounces off the uprights and in and then tell people everybody clap your hands after a good attempt. And for that, I kind of want to pull for this kid for that audio alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Varking said:

It was reported that he was like 5 of 8 kicking that day and nobody shared it here almost like they didn't want to acknowledge he was missing some.

That is why I started my first post about Gano vs Slye with "I have no dog in this fight". I want all of our players to do well.

For not having a dog in this fight, the bolded suggests otherwise. This is specifically what I meant when I mentioned being consistent.

 

12 minutes ago, Varking said:

If Slye makes the roster and is up on opening day I am willing to bet we hear Mick say Slye to the left, Slye to the right as the ball drifts during field goals. He may even possibly say criss cross if the ball bounces off the uprights and in and then tell people everybody clap your hands after a good attempt. And for that, I kind of want to pull for this kid for that audio alone.

No dog in the fight huh?

Hey, no hard feelings, enjoy the rest of preseason :Eggplant_Emoji_Icon_42x42:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

For not having a dog in this fight, the bolded suggests otherwise. This is specifically what I meant when I mentioned being consistent.

 

No dog in the fight huh?

Hey, no hard feelings, enjoy the rest of preseason :Eggplant_Emoji_Icon_42x42:

No dog in the fight. I am not pulling for one over the other. The cha cha slide stuff would just be icing on the cake though. And same to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


In related news, Chicago just cut one of their 2 kickers and it doesn't seem like they are exuding confidence in the leg of Eddie Pineiro. If he starts missing kicks in the next 2 games in particular, I think they're going to be scouring for an alternative. I'd be surprised, particularly after Slye made that 50+ yarder against them, if Chicago didn't at least see if we'd be willing to take a conditional late round pick for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I would revive this old thread since RR said today that Slye would definitely kick Thursday. Not sure yet about Gano.  Wtf.  If Gano hasn’t kicked all preseason we are not gonna cut Slye.  

Could Gano be going to IR?   That means we will have to keep 2 guys on the original 53 and then move Gano 24 hrs later. 

Im starting to really question whether Gano would even make it through the season.  

Would we outright cut him?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Thought I would revive this old thread since RR said today that Slye would definitely kick Thursday. Not sure yet about Gano.  Wtf.  If Gano hasn’t kicked all preseason we are not gonna cut Slye.  

Could Gano be going to IR?   That means we will have to keep 2 guys on the original 53 and then move Gano 24 hrs later. 

Im starting to really question whether Gano would even make it through the season.  

Would we outright cut him?  

If Slye continues to nail these kicks I could see us cutting Gano, It is hard to justify extra roster spots for kickers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Varking said:

If Slye continues to nail these kicks I could see us cutting Gano, It is hard to justify extra roster spots for kickers. 

Gano would cost us an extra 2M against the cap if he's cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thefuzz said:

Gano would cost us an extra 2M against the cap if he's cut.

The roster is basically set so a 2 million loss in the grand scheme of things isn't terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Varking said:

The roster is basically set so a 2 million loss in the grand scheme of things isn't terrible. 

I really like when stupid contracts make you do things that "aren't terrible".

Just a boneheaded move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I really like when stupid contracts make you do things that "aren't terrible".

Just a boneheaded move.

Keeping an injured kicker taking up roster slots to have to carry an additional kicker is boneheaded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Varking said:

The roster is basically set so a 2 million loss in the grand scheme of things isn't terrible. 

I gotta hear how this works. Do tell how we have so much money we can take a 5.6M cap hit for a PK and it isn’t terrible? Plus pay another one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I gotta hear how this works. Do tell how we have so much money we can take a 5.6M cap hit for a PK and it isn’t terrible? Plus pay another one. 

He said it was a 2 million dollar hit to cut him. We have over 2 million in space left. Slye would get a minimal contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether it's a cap hit this year or next year, if your kicker is struggling to stay healthy and he will be 33 next season, the writing is on the wall. No matter how angry certain fans might get about that reality, it's a reality nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...