Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devil Doc

Kicker?

Oh he missed a few in practice? Well we've heard for multiple pages about how normal it is for kickers to miss some. Or does that only apply to Gano? How he responds and plays on Friday when the lights are on will be the true test.

25 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Oh he missed a few in practice? Well we've heard for multiple pages about how normal it is for kickers to miss some. Or does that only apply to Gano? How he responds and plays on Friday when the lights are on will be the true test.

Sounds like ur all-in on Slye.  Do u think he's good enough to carry the load for an entire season?

On 8/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, GoPanthers123 said:

In a possible future Ron will riverboat it up and say fug FGs and XPs, we are going for max points 24/7 - it’s endzone or nothing. 

I wish I had kept the article, but a couple of years ago, one of the writers did a thing where he showed teams should go for it on 4th down far more often than they do. While, yes, sometimes, you'll be your defense in a bind with a short field, sometimes you turn in a punt or FG drive into 6. His premise was the current decisions are more about deflecting blame than sound strategy.

21 minutes ago, SBiii said:

Sounds like ur all-in on Slye.  Do u think he's good enough to carry the load for an entire season?

All-in after one preseason game? Now that would be foolish. Like I said in the post you quoted, it all depends on how he responds the rest of the way in preseason. If he is still playing lights out in games, then you have a tough decision to make. But the likelihood of us cutting Gano is low. I don't know how many more ways I can type it up for some of you that watching another potentially just as good and cheaper kicker walk away for nothing is very disadvantageous for this team. Fans want the best team, it's no different from the discussion that has been had all these offseason months on addressing the backup QB position just to be sure. Why would we be that diligent with the most important position on our roster, and not show that level of expectation to another important position like kicker? Especially one who is amongst the top paid at their position? At the end of the day either you dudes either want to win or you don't. We aren't going to get the back to back winning seasons thing off our backs by continuing to rationalize mediocrity.

27 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I wish I had kept the article, but a couple of years ago, one of the writers did a thing where he showed teams should go for it on 4th down far more often than they do. While, yes, sometimes, you'll be your defense in a bind with a short field, sometimes you turn in a punt or FG drive into 6. His premise was the current decisions are more about deflecting blame than sound strategy.

There is a HS coach who virtually never punts and goes for the onside kick every game.   Made a lot news awhile back.  

42 minutes ago, SBiii said:

He made a field goal in a preseason game. If that’s not proof enough, I don’t know what is!

21 minutes ago, TheRed said:

All-in after one preseason game? Now that would be foolish. Like I said in the post you quoted, it all depends on how he responds the rest of the way in preseason. If he is still playing lights out in games, then you have a tough decision to make. But the likelihood of us cutting Gano is low. I don't know how many more ways I can type it up for some of you that watching another potentially just as good and cheaper kicker walk away for nothing is very disadvantageous for this team. Fans want the best team, it's no different from the discussion that has been had all these offseason months on addressing the backup QB position just to be sure. Why would we be that diligent with the most important position on our roster, and not show that level of expectation to another important position like kicker? Especially one who is amongst the top paid at their position? At the end of the day either you dudes either want to win or you don't. We aren't going to get the back to back winning seasons thing off our backs by continuing to rationalize mediocrity.

Butker turned out to be pretty good when the real games started.  There's no guarantee Slye will do the same...even if he does continue to perform well in pre-season games. 

I don't think you are giving Gano a fair shake...he has outperformed Butker over the last 2 years.

Butker has done well no doubt, but Gano has done a little better.

8 minutes ago, SBiii said:

Butker turned out to be pretty good when the real games started.  There's no guarantee Slye will do the same...even if he does continue to perform well in pre-season games. 

I don't think you are giving Gano a fair shake...he has outperformed Butker over the last 2 years.

Butker has done well no doubt, but Gano has done a little better.

This is a good post and makes the huddle better. Hard to disagree with any of it. You should stick to takes like these and not your strange other ones that have gotten u banned in the past. 

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

There is a HS coach who virtually never punts and goes for the onside kick every game.   Made a lot news awhile back.  

Hire him 

35 minutes ago, SBiii said:

You could make this argument about any player at any position. By this logic, we shouldn't ever sign another player because they might suck.

At the end of the day we improved the Kansas City Chiefs who were one game away from a Super Bowl last season and got nothing for it in return. Slye won't be making Butker or Gano money from the jump no matter how he finishes preseason. That is where the decision would become difficult. Either way we are not in a position to improve other teams so we cannot allow another talented player to walk for free.

I'm convinced @TN05 is Gano's cousin or some poo.

53 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I'm convinced @TN05 is Gano's cousin or some poo.

Because it’s so strange to not want to cut a top-ten kicker because an undrafted kicker who choked all the time in college made two field goals in the first preseason game. 

Although Slye had a good outing in game 1, the chances he outperforms Gano this year given their respective performance history seems fairly low; best case it's a wash. And even in that scenario, it doesn't really give us any financial savings to cut Gano this year anyway, so we'd be paying for both Gano and Slye if we cut Gano. In summary, our best outcome is that Slye keeps making 50 yarders in the preseason and some desperate team gives us a 5th rounder like the one Baltimore got. 

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

You could make this argument about any player at any position. By this logic, we shouldn't ever sign another player because they might suck.

At the end of the day we improved the Kansas City Chiefs who were one game away from a Super Bowl last season and got nothing for it in return. Slye won't be making Butker or Gano money from the jump no matter how he finishes preseason. That is where the decision would become difficult. Either way we are not in a position to improve other teams so we cannot allow another talented player to walk for free.

Kickers aren't like other players and there's a reason they a so seldom drafted before round 5. 

Butker was an unproven 7th round draft pick...why so much concern about locking him up? 

The Chiefs & Panthers have only played 3 times in the last 15 years...whatever Butker may or may not have done there doesn't matter one iota as it relates to the Panthers.

What are we gonna do, hoard kickers?