Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

Teh best college talent evaluator in a generations!

Recommended Posts

it’s great that the overall tone of the board right now is to mock hurney for being incompetent, but if you’re going to flip back over to pretending he’s an executive of the year candidate during the offseason like last time, please realize you’re part of the problem

  • Pie 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

True. I couldn’t remember exactly when he came back. 

So if Marty isn’t good at drafting, who is? It seems like he’s good for 2-3 solid to great players a year now.

 

He's not though. He's good for 1, that's it. I did a deep dive on it in this thread:

 

Post that breaks it down by round Here:

It's feast or famine with all of his picks. If the dude isn't an all-star, he's out of the league within 3 years. There's really no in between. 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 4
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

True. I couldn’t remember exactly when he came back. 

So if Marty isn’t good at drafting, who is? It seems like he’s good for 2-3 solid to great players a year now.

 

Meh, more like 1 and another maybe. This was broken down in another thread. It was really telling. Im not high on Little or Jackson, i think maybe until they get enough time to prove what they are. Delay was being proped up but has been destroyed lately. Still early on these two drafts but his previous drafts are not good at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Bad.

Don't forget the Edwards trade up as well.

Gettleman passing on Dave Bakhtiari for Edmund Kugbila is up there as worst retrospective looks also.  We like to fumble in the third round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cherry picking to suit your narrative.  

great content; this is off-season tier posting.  not giving any more clicks/time for this.  i'll check back after the draft to see if the quality improves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

it’s great that the overall tone of the board right now is to mock hurney for being incompetent, but if you’re going to flip back over to pretending he’s an executive of the year candidate during the offseason like last time, please realize you’re part of the problem

I have hated Hurney since he came back and will continue to do so until he is gone. He’s a complete hack. 

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

That's the problem Igo, you're mistaking his talent evaluator skills for his talent recognizer skills.

Two completely different skillsets

Oooohhh, now I understand.

 

 

Wait... no, I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Oooohhh, now I understand.

 

 

Wait... no, I don't.

Obviously, Recognizer skill is based on ability to draft in the first round. Evaluator skill is based on ability to draft in all other rounds and field a winning team. 

It's plain as day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cracka McNasty said:

Obviously, Recognizer skill is based on ability to draft in the first round. Evaluator skill is based on ability to draft in all other rounds and field a winning team. 

It's plain as day. 

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Now explain to me why he's in charge of the entire draft and free agency.

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think everyone knows Hurney shouldn’t be GM. What’s the arguments? Dude makes some good moves and then some awful ones. Dudes better suited as an advisor of some sort 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

 

Come on man.  The baseline in round three is that about 12% of them turn in to legit NFL starters.

In his career, Hurney has selected 20 players in the third round.  Among those, Steve Smith, Will Witherspoon, Ricky Manning, Travelle Wharton, Evan Mathis, James Anderson, Charles Johnson, Charles Godfrey, Dan Connor, and Brandon LaFell all started at least 50 games in the league.

So, against a league average of 12% he's hit on 50% of his third round picks.

I really don't know what more you can ask.

 

  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianS said:

Come on man.  The baseline in round three is that about 12% of them turn in to legit NFL starters.

In his career, Hurney has selected 20 players in the third round.  Among those, Steve Smith, Will Witherspoon, Ricky Manning, Travelle Wharton, Evan Mathis, James Anderson, Charles Johnson, Charles Godfrey, Dan Connor, and Brandon LaFell all started at least 50 games in the league.

So, against a league average of 12% he's hit on 50% of his third round picks.

I really don't know what more you can ask.

Hurney didn't become GM till 2002. Steve Smith was drafted in 2001.

And I've said before that measuring by how many games players started for the teams that drafted them is a weak standard.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His draft pick success is about in line with that person that joins your office fantasy pool that knows nothing and still makes the playoffs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to waiting at least 3 years to truly evaluate a draft pick.  Plus we all know that the large majority of starters are chosen in the first 3 rounds. Lastly while Hurney may not hit on later picks, who exactly does?  Seems to me compared to other teams, the Panthers have drafted better than many teams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...