Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

ncfan

Panthers Beat Writer on the current stage in the HC search

10 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Gonna be a fan of the team regardless but I'd be bummed about anyone but Kevin Stefanski

I didn't really know much about him until recently and most of it I've learned through this board, but there's literally nobody out there otherwise that I'm really excited about, and on principal I'm against college coaches because of their low success rate and retreads because bleh, so right now Stefanski is the guy I want.

billy cowher or jeffrey fisher.

GM Thomas Coughlin

Done. the extinction of the Panthers is complete.

Bring on MLS in 2021.

soccer fail GIF

18 hours ago, Forty-Eight said:

Robert Saleh is my choice. 

But thinking McCarthy or McDaniels will be the HC. 

Would be amazing if we could lure Lincoln Riley away from OU.

Thats who I want out of all the coaches in the entire country - Lincoln Riley.  Also, would like to kick the tires on Urban Meyer and see if he has any dreams of coaching a pro team.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, 45catfan said:

I'm okay with McCarthy.  Agreed he's not flashy, but substance is better than flash most times.  The one caveat I have is he has to bring in a defensive guru with him.  Green Bay's problem many year under him wasn't the offense, it was their defense was usually garbage.

On paper the offense didn’t appear to be a “problem,” but on film it is a different story.  The offense was heavily dependent on Rodgers other worldly talents to make things work.  McCarthy wasn’t a stellar playcaller and his offense grew old and stale on top of it.  Rodgers made it look much better than it was by holding onto the ball and turning things into a scramble drill instead of relying on the initial playcalls.  As the offense “didn’t suck” year after year, McCarthy kept thinking it was him making it work instead of being humble enough to realize he wasn’t doing a good job...and it was the QB making it look like it was working.

Outside of running the offense, I really like McCarthy as a HC.  He’s incredibly detailed.  If you watch him for a while, its far beyond most other coaches.  A lot of it had to do with building on top of things that were already established under Holmgren, etc...but I have zero doubt he’d bring the same level of detail to his next team and they would benefit from it.

As far as Josh McDaniels, no thanks.  People are so desperate to try to capture a piece of the Patriots dynasty.  Its pretty clear that Bill Belichick is the greatest coach in NFL history and his underlings are failing at an alarming rate.  Even Bill Parcells success in the NFL takes an interesting turn when you compare the years he had Belichick on his staff to the years he didn’t.

One thing to watch on the assistant front: It's being speculated that Wade Phillips will not be back in Los Angeles next year. His contract is up and apparently there's been no movement toward an extension.

Heaven knows Phillips has tortured us in the past. For the record though, he is 72 years old.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I think it's funny that a solid portion of people who wanted Rivera gone are willing to take Josh McDaniels .. Stefanski or Rhule .. I mean seriously .. nobodies

It has to be Jim Harbaugh but I could live with McCarthy

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

One thing to watch on the assistant front: It's being speculated that Wade Phillips will not be back in Los Angeles next year. His contract is up and apparently there's been no movement toward an extension.

Heaven knows Phillips has tortured us in the past. For the record though, he is 72 years old.

I could definitely see Phillips as an option at DC if someone like McCarthy is hired. Pat Shurmur could at play at OC if McCarthy is our next HC.

49 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

I could definitely see Phillips as an option at DC if someone like McCarthy is hired. Pat Shurmur could at play at OC if McCarthy is our next HC.

Shurmur is a WCO guy so that would be a bit of a change for us.

Of course, we don't know what our next head coach is going to want yet.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

He definitely would have talent to work with and you can tell his frustration with the Rams offense and Sean McVeigh. 

On 12/20/2019 at 2:28 PM, 1of10Charnatives said:

I didn't really know much about him until recently and most of it I've learned through this board, but there's literally nobody out there otherwise that I'm really excited about, and on principal I'm against college coaches because of their low success rate and retreads because bleh, so right now Stefanski is the guy I want.

The one concern I have about stefanski is that he has only about half as much coaching experience as the other major choices. He hasn't really even been at the coordinator level for very long.

Roman and McDaniels both have more well-established track records.

Edited by Mr. Scot

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Shurmur is a WCO guy so that would be a bit of a change for us.

Of course, we don't know what our next head coach is going to want yet.

McCarthy is too.... 

On 12/19/2019 at 4:54 PM, 45catfan said:

I don't know, the Patriots took a chance on some head coach that got canned by Cleveland by the name of Bill Belichick.   Not too bad of a retread.

That guy took the Browns to the playoffs. One of their only two playoff appearances since 1990. That might be more impressive than winning six SBs. 

• Pie 1