Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

TheSpecialJuan

Seahawks co-director of player personnel Trent Kirchner has emerged as the favorite to be the assistant general manager

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

Seattle Seahawks co-director of player personnel Trent Kirchner has emerged as the favorite to be the assistant general manager for the Carolina Panthers, a league source told ESPN.com. Kirchner was a pro scout for the Panthers from 2002-10 under general manager Marty Hurney, so working side by side with Hurney makes sense. That this position will focus on the pro side, Kirchner's specialty, also makes sense since Hurney's focus will be on the college side.

That wouldn't be a surprise. I'm hoping there are other options though. I'd like at least one candidate that wasn't formerly on the Panthers staff.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3
  • Poo 1

He was my favorite to replace Gettleman if we decided to move on from Hurney. I’d be all aboard this hire.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

If we make that hire, it will be the sign that this is Hurney's team. Let's call it what it is. 

Wow. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

just give him the GM job

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

The way Tepper was talking about Marty eating 100 meatballs and mimicking his voice like a gremlin I don't see how he has so much respect for him but hey I dunno

• Pie 2
  • Milkshake 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Not informed enough to know if this is nepotism or a good hire?

1 minute ago, Soul Rebel said:

Not informed enough to know if this is nepotism or a good hire?

It's kind of both. 

• Pie 2

The Seahawks have done a pretty bad job of putting talent around Wilson for the past 4 years. 

Russell Wilson has been the best QB in the league, so it creates a perception of competency around that organization.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, panther4life said:

The Seahawks have demonstrated the best model of consistently winning in the NFC. Surely the guy has learned something there.

Meh, Russell Wilson's greatness obscures how poorly they've done in free agency and the draft since 2013. 

A lot of the executives who were responsible for drafting all their great talent during their Super Bowl run are long gone now (such as Scot McCloughan).

They don't have a good roster outside of QB1, and haven't in years.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The way Tepper was talking about Marty eating 100 meatballs and mimicking his voice like a gremlin I don't see how he has so much respect for him but hey I dunno

I mean we all pick on our buddies, sometimes in public. Tepper’s tone sounded like good natured ribbing. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tepper’s fit looking younger wife stayed on him about watching what he eats cause we all get a little thicker around the middle as we age. If Hurney is sitting there scarfing meatballs nonstop, he’s more likely to notice and give him a little ribbing about it.

Unfortunately for us, I think this implies he’s pretty comfortable with Hurney.

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

The Seahawks have done a pretty bad job of putting talent around Wilson for the past 4 years.

Gotta free up that cap space, if you're gonna pay RW $35 million/year.

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, bobsfoodbasics said:

oh god. someone who has worked with hurney in the past.

Brandon Beane worked with Hurney and he’s turned into a pretty good GM but continue with the hand wringing.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1