Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

philit99

Should Carolina Retire Steve Smith's Jersey

Should Carolina Retire Steve Smith's Jersey  

142 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Steve Smith replaced his Ravens Helmet on NFL Network with a Panthers Helmet, then asked to have his jersey retired, so should Carolina retire Steve Smith's Jersey?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/22/2020 at 05:35 AM

and 11 ppl at this point don't know what greatness is

Steve's passion and drive, even when we were on the wrong end of it, were all you needed to know about Agent 89.

Dude is the ultimate baller.

It pretty much has been but it should be made official.:)

.  Panthers Carolina Panthers GIF - Panthers CarolinaPanthers SteveSmith GIFs

Yes and there's a logical answer besides him being the best WR in our franchise's history.  WR's today wear numbers in the teens (which completely chaps my a$$) and obviously we will never roster 9 TEs, so there will be plenty of available numbers in the 80s for future TEs to choose from if #89 is retired.

Edited by 45catfan

2 hours ago, joeyxfresco said:

Only 5 jerseys that deserve to be retired by Carolina up until now 

58?

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

58?

He’s on the teeter of it and a casualty of being too lenient with it. 51 gave us keep pounding, 89 was our best WR of all time, 90 put us on the map and is a future first ballot hall of famer, 59 might be the best defensive player of all time for the franchise and 1 is our only league MVP and made us look better than what we were for 9 years. 58 is a fighter and key part of the franchise and has a spot in the ring of honor but I can’t see us retiring his number and then opening the conversation for guys like Gross, Mushin, Gamble, Khalil, Olsen, etc 

Edited by joeyxfresco
  • Pie 1

If anyone ever decides to use 89, they better be the greatest reciever in the history of the sport.  If not Smitty will dog them, this is why no one has chosen the number in Carolina.

It’s pretty much retired. We need to make it official.

8 hours ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

No brainer, any objections are asinine 

Let me preface by saying I think Smitty was a great player and will be in the HOF.

But the question I have is what does a retired Jersey represent as a Panther.  If it is a great player, team mate and person you want representing the values of the team then Smitty shouldn't have his Jersey retired.  

If it is just for his heart fire and playing of the game then yes.  But can you look over his actions with teammates?  

23 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Let me preface by saying I think Smitty was a great player and will be in the HOF.

But the question I have is what does a retired Jersey represent as a Panther.  If it is a great player, team mate and person you want representing the values of the team then Smitty shouldn't have his Jersey retired.  

If it is just for his heart fire and playing of the game then yes.  But can you look over his actions with teammates?  

Interesting point, and one that I think merits some consideration. For all his prowess on the field, 89’s actions towards his teammates were not always of the highest character.  I would be particularly interested to know what his teammates might have to say about whether they felt his jersey should be retired and whether they felt his conduct in those incidents should count against him when considering it.

Who is going to be foolish enough to ask for the number? The shoes are just too big to fill.

And he deserves it. Doing so would set the tone that we are here to compete and fight it out, no matter how small or unknown we were when we began.