Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Verge

Another year, another draft thread.

Maybe we could get a first if healthy, but I do not see it. Now (if the rumors of Marty shopping Cam now are true) we would be lucky to get a third.  Word is out that he will pass--so if we could get a late first/early second, great.   If we could get a first, then it won't be LAC or Miami.  Someone who can't get a QB early and needs one--the Raiders, Bucs, or Colts in the middle---Maybe the Patriots.

We will see--I am guessing a second to Indy/LA Raiders/or Chicago--lot to happen first--if Cam works out well.

Edited by MHS831

17 hours ago, Verge said:

I would just about guarantee that one tackle will go off the board before us. 

Regardless of his past injury issues, if he clears a physical, we are going to get a lot more than a third for him.

But the rumor is we are making "unsolicited calls" now (whatever that means for sure).  Unless we are simply testing the interest levels--but is that not tampering?

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Whats the point of this?

I dunno.. discussion maybe? See if Verge had some insight on those guys, and if they were on his guy's radar and if they would be decent picks for the Panthers?

Lighten up Francis - and while you're at it, maybe you could answer as to why out of the three mock drafts present on that page thread, you chose to single out mine? What's the point of that?

20 hours ago, Verge said:

I would just about guarantee that one tackle will go off the board before us. 

There is a very real scenario where one doesn't and that is if the Chargers take Herbert.  Sans a blockbuster trade for a ready-made veteran starter, Herbert is absolutely a target for them at #6.  I'll be shocked if #1-#5 doesn't go how most of us think, especially with Tua's hip now getting a clean bill of health to the Dolphins.  If the Lions deal Slay, it's nearly a lock they take Okundah.   The Giants may or may not pass up Simmons and that's the only wildcard in my mind right now.

Lol, this simulator with most recent up-to-date Big Board consistently has the Dolphins taking Herbert over Tua and the Chargers going OL.  Result?  Tua has dropped in our laps over several mocks.  I thought this one was interesting.

R1P7
 QB TUA TAGOVALLOA
ALABAMA
38: R2P6
 C TYLER BIADASZ
WISCONSIN
69: R3P5
 S ANTONIE WINFIELD JR.
MINNESOTA
110: R4P7
 DL LEKI FOTU
UTAH
152: R5P6
 LB SHAQ QUARTERMAN
MIAMI FL
184: R6P5
 TE CHARLIE TAUMOEPEAU
PORTLAND STATE
221: R7P7
 EDGE ALEX HIGHSMITH
CHARLOTTE

13 hours ago, 45catfan said:

There is a very real scenario where one doesn't and that is if the Chargers take Herbert.  Sans a blockbuster trade for a ready-made veteran starter, Herbert is absolutely a target for them at #6.  I'll be shocked if #1-#5 doesn't go how most of us think, especially with Tua's hip now getting a clean bill of health to the Dolphins.  If the Lions deal Slay, it's nearly a lock they take Okundah.   The Giants may or may not pass up Simmons and that's the only wildcard in my mind right now.

Your point about Slay is a good one---I see the Skins holding onto Young--the Lions without Slay may not trade out very easily.  That leaves the Giants--and they will be getting calls for the #4 spot.  Will Gettlemen move out, or will he take the T?  Let's say Gettlemen decides that he can get a T later and moves back--#4 is a bit early for Wills or Thomas anyway.  Indy, a team that has not been without a franchise QB since about 1999, will gladly pay the toll to trade up---I think, however, they will want Herbert, but Miami will be nervous.  The fish then take Tua, and we are sitting there with any T--offensive or defensive, we want.

A very interesting simulated mock here:

Derrick Brown, IDL
Auburn

Lucas Niang, OT
TCU

Bryce Hall, CB
Virginia

Tyler Biadasz, IOL
Wisconsin

Albert Okwuegbunam, TE

Missouri

Bravvion Roy, IDL
Baylor

Stanford Samuels III, CB
Florida State

I double dipped on OL, DL and CB.  Aggressively attacked our weakest spots.  Yes, I went under the assumption that Bradberry moves on in FA.  Got another young guy at TE for depth.  I would be very happy with this draft.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:02 AM, MHS831 said:

Your point about Slay is a good one---I see the Skins holding onto Young--the Lions without Slay may not trade out very easily.  That leaves the Giants--and they will be getting calls for the #4 spot.  Will Gettlemen move out, or will he take the T?  Let's say Gettlemen decides that he can get a T later and moves back--#4 is a bit early for Wills or Thomas anyway.  Indy, a team that has not been without a franchise QB since about 1999, will gladly pay the toll to trade up---I think, however, they will want Herbert, but Miami will be nervous.  The fish then take Tua, and we are sitting there with any T--offensive or defensive, we want.

I'm not convinced the Dolphins stay put.  They tanked for a QB, would seem stupid to let him go a few picks ahead of you.  They almost have to trade up to 2 to make sure no one else takes Tua, which would be huge for the Lions who at that point would have Young fall into their lap.  Unless of course they really want Tua.

This could actually push Okuda down the board.

#1 Cincy - Burrow

#2 Miami - Tua

#3 Lions - Young

#4 Giants - Simmons

#5 Redskins - ?  probably Okuda

#6 Chargers - Herbert

#7 Panthers -  

As you could see Okuda could possible fall close to us.  I think you would have to strongly consider him.  If not him Brown.  If you are determined to draft a OT though I would strongly consider trading down.  At this point all of them are still on the board.

Unfortunately I think all of the possible trading up for QBs will happen before we pick, but if we could trade to 12 or so that would net us a late second I think. That's basically a free WR in this draft.

Here is some "tape" on the hottest small school prospect out there Tyshun Render of Middle Tennessee #94. Looking like he could be a day 2 guy.

• Pie 1

He just messaged me "Wow, just made millions" in regards to Mekhi Becton's workout.

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Verge said:

He just messaged me "Wow, just made millions" in regards to Mekhi Becton's workout.

Curious what his thoughts are on Mims last night.

This dude has been a sleeper for me and really want the Panthers to get him.  But his SeniorBowl/Combine have had to boost his stock despite the strength and depth of this WR class.

7: R1P7

DL JAVON KINLAW
SOUTH CAROLINA

EDGE CURTIS WEAVER
BOISE STATE

OT ISAIAH WILSON
GEORGIA

C MATT HENNESSY
TEMPLE

WR GABRIEL DAVIS
UCF

TE JOSIAH DEGUARA
CINCINNATI

S MYLES DORN
NORTH CAROLINA

7: R1P7

DL DERRICK BROWN
AUBURN

TE COLE KMET
NOTRE DAME

EDGE TERRELL LEWIS
ALABAMA

C NICK HARRIS
WASHINGTON

OT TREY ADAMS
WASHINGTON

WR AUSTIN MACK
OHIO STATE

S MYLES DORN
NORTH CAROLINA

31 minutes ago, Verge said:

Just a HUGE human. I will hand to DJ, he was on the train looong before anyone and said hes a perfect Gettleman pick. 

Wish the nuke didnt go off this year and the panthers had their normal mid-late pick, cause I feel you could still get a great LT prospect there. 

Who are your top 8-10 DE/OLB guys?

5 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

Erza Cleveland will go late first early second. Been saying that for two months he's a beast

There’s only 32 1st round picks. I can’t imagine he’s moved up that far. In the huddle there’s 55-60 “definitely” first round won’t make it to our pick 38 guys.