Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Ivan The Awesome

Need help from the Tech savvy people from the Huddle.

Recommended Posts

Long story short. My TV doesn't work anymore. I haven't figured out what happened. That's not the point. 

 

I'd like to know if one of you could help me with a solution besides the obvious of "Buy another TV." comments. Funds at the moment don't allow me to make such a purchase. So my question is, is there a way I can use my Laptop as a Monitor to hook up my Xbox one? This laptop I have is rather old, so I know it doesn't have a INPUT HDMI slot. It's an output. Would there be an adapter I could get that would turn my laptop into a monitor for the time being? Or what would you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


i'd suggest looking around at thrift shops like salvation army for something that can use hdmi or the other/newer round thingy  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What he said. I was in Walmart the other day, they had a 32" Roku tv for 99 bucks.

 

What is the tv doing? Anything on the screen?

Edited by cookinbrak
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

What he said. I was in Walmart the other day, they had a 32" Roku tv for 99 bucks.

 

What is the tv doing? Anything on the screen?

i just bought a 50" samsung oled for $250 from walmart.   i couldn't believe it.  half the price i paid 7 yrs ago for the same frikkin thing, and this one is way better

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Long story short. My TV doesn't work anymore. I haven't figured out what happened. That's not the point. 

 

I'd like to know if one of you could help me with a solution besides the obvious of "Buy another TV." comments. Funds at the moment don't allow me to make such a purchase. So my question is, is there a way I can use my Laptop as a Monitor to hook up my Xbox one? This laptop I have is rather old, so I know it doesn't have a INPUT HDMI slot. It's an output. Would there be an adapter I could get that would turn my laptop into a monitor for the time being? Or what would you suggest?

Just buy a cheap TV...they are not expensive especially non 4k ones

If you must look for a USB to HDMI adapter.  Like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTN45ZM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07WTN45ZM&pd_rd_w=9Qbfc&pf_rd_p=c83c55b0-5d97-454a-a592-a891098a9709&pd_rd_wg=nmfcw&pf_rd_r=HX98VW4N0WKBYE29W13F&pd_rd_r=c62f518d-4473-477a-9ef8-15293cb1ed0c&smid=AXZ7T0UN1N33N&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUllTMjk5UUZYNldTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIyNTQ4M1dOOERYWTRYNjhHJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMTU0MjAyS0IxMTRBU0hBT0ZZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

 

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

What he said. I was in Walmart the other day, they had a 32" Roku tv for 99 bucks.

 

What is the tv doing? Anything on the screen?

Well from what I was told, water made the connection short out and it "exploded".  So it doesn't turn on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

What he said. I was in Walmart the other day, they had a 32" Roku tv for 99 bucks.

 

What is the tv doing? Anything on the screen?

To me, believe it or not, 99 dollars is A LOT of money. I don't make dollars and right now the Mexican peso is inflating a lot, Jumped up from 18-21 because of this corona virus. Also going to University I don't have a huge budget. I could spare around 30 bucks maybe if I stretch things, I'm currently only studying so I'd probably have to get a job, but with my scheduling, I honestly can't find a job that will respect my school schedule, that's why I was asking if there was a "cheaper" method to fix this. Believe me I know I should probably just buy a new one but the funds are just not there. That's the sad truth man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That adapter outputs the video from your laptop over USB and converts it to HDMI to connect to a TV or monitor, so it works the opposite from what you're looking for.  You can't use it to push video to your laptop screen.  Your laptop's display is probably connected to your motherboard with a ribbon cable, so unless you have an HDMI-in on your laptop that probably won't work without doing something like splicing the ribbon cable to an HDMI connector which would be way more of a pain than what it's worth.

For what you're trying to do, if you could track down a monitor with HDMI-in you might be able to make that work for a gaming console.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

That adapter outputs the video from your laptop over USB and converts it to HDMI to connect to a TV or monitor, so it works the opposite from what you're looking for.  You can't use it to push video to your laptop screen.  Your laptop's display is probably connected to your motherboard with a ribbon cable, so unless you have an HDMI-in on your laptop that probably won't work without doing something like splicing the ribbon cable to an HDMI connector which would be way more of a pain than what it's worth.

For what you're trying to do, if you could track down a monitor with HDMI-in you might be able to make that work for a gaming console.

Didn't read enough.  Thanks for clarifying.  Not a bad idea on buying a monitor...should be pretty cheap.

This was low price with free ship...

https://www.ebay.com/p/18036261804?iid=124093847027&rt=nc&thm=1500

Edited by Shocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look on craigslist and facebook. I just saw a couple of free tvs in the Wilmington area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Look on craigslist and facebook. I just saw a couple of free tvs in the Wilmington area.

poo if it's the end of the spring semester and you live in a college town just check the dumpsters near the dorms.  Kids throw out perfectly good TVs and other electronics every year.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL!!! Dude says he can't buy another TV, everybody say buy another TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah get a computer monitor.    A lot of people choose to play on those anyway and find they have an advantage over a TV.    Luckly your only need a 60hz anyway for Xbox so as long as the connections match you could get an older one probably cheap used somewhere.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shufdog said:

LOL!!! Dude says he can't buy another TV, everybody say buy another TV.

 

22 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Look on craigslist and facebook. I just saw a couple of free tvs in the Wilmington area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...