Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
rayzor

*IF* the Corona virus is as bad as believed...

14 hours ago, g5jamz said:

What is insane profit?  They need funding to cover costs.  I think they should get preferential federal grant money.  Hopefully our colleges are working on this as well as they get considerable fed grant money.

What are insane profits? Reference the Epi-pen as an example.   Actual cost of the medicine is roughly a dollar.  Most of the cost is in the injector.   Cost is a couple bucks.  Vital  and life saving. 

People pay hundreds for it. 

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

What are insane profits? Reference the Epi-pen as an example.   Actual cost of the medicine is roughly a dollar.  Most of the cost is in the injector.   Cost is a couple bucks.  Vital  and life saving. 

Epi pen was the first thing that popped into my mind. Profit over people/capitalism says get what you can. The right price is always what someone is willing to pay for it. Desperation makes people willing to pay more be and capitalism says it's ok to exploit that to get profit.

Greed is evil. No matter how you spin it, it's evil. Greed is rooted in selfishness and selfishness is the basis for all evil. Capitalism cannot exist without greed. It must go. Some may control it, but most don't. It's gone uncontrolled for way too long and it has us only barely better than the serf system from centuries ago.

23 hours ago, Wes21 said:

Would you rather NOT have the drug?

The govt not citizens should pay the private companies a reasonable amount and roll it out en masses

12 hours ago, CRA said:

On Planet Jamz a bunch of Martin Shkrelis would be in charge of the response to this crisis.  The market will come up with the most efficient solution.

1 hour ago, Panthro said:

The govt not citizens should pay the private companies a reasonable amount and roll it out en masses

That’s the citizens money genius.  

12 hours ago, CRA said:

Epipen is a great example of how wish washy the pricing can be, and how the government should intervene when a supplier gets out of line...particularly when its the government that gave them an effective monopoly over the product.

The reason why i say the pricing is wishy washy is because some were being charged hundreds, while others were getting it for free.  My wife has never had to pay for one, and I have never had to pay for one for my daughter either.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:42 PM, rayzor said:

and some big pharma finds a cure, would it be right or ethical for them to make the insane potential profits from that cure?

What would be the point at which it acceptable?

Should it even be allowed?

Businesses exist to make a profit and we don't castigate all of them for seeking to do so, so any business that solves a major world health crisis should certainly be allowed to profit to some degree from doing so, however if they seek to profit far beyond usual and customary margins within their industry, there is a point where that should not be tolerated. Their profits in such an extradinary case should derive from the ennormity of the market for their product, not extraordinary margins, and keep in mind in pharmaceuticals a very large portion of cost is the cost of the R&D. To the extent that this cost can be spread across a wider market for it's use, those costs should be cheaper per unit produced, hence any such cure should need a relatively small R&D cost per unit of medicine produced, making the overall cost on the cheaper end compared to most medications.

Just my two cents.

If there's a vaccine or effective, widely available treatment and one person dies because they can't afford it, there is no profit margin in the world that would make that moral.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

If there's a vaccine or effective, widely available treatment and one person dies because they can't afford it, there is no profit margin in the world that would make that moral.

Most of the drugs the rest of the world is using effectively aren’t even FDA approved. Why don’t you start there. 

25 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

That’s the citizens money genius.  

Correct but it's an equitable distribution. Those that can pay more should.

I have no desire to contribute to your GoFundMe page bc your obtuse

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Fryfan said:

Research has been done on how much NIH is a factor n drug research and development.  

It’s a straight out lie to undermine the value and importance in bringing drugs to market.  

Advance away you are off base on the underlying taxpayer support and way way off base on capitalism being the solution to this. 

I think the best path forward is single payer.  Please read my posts and get a new schtick.  This one isn't working.