Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Scot

All defensive draft "just fell that way"

Panthers make history with 2020 Draft class

To be clear, the Panthers didn't intend to use all of their picks on defensive players. But that's the way things worked out, and it's how Carolina became the first team in the common draft era — which began in 1967 — to spend each of its picks on defensive players.

"We really didn't come in with that plan," Hurney after it was all over. "But we basically did stick to the board and the groupings and it just happened it was all seven (on) defense. I mean, we knew coming in that we wanted to help our defense — we knew that. But we didn't come in planning that all seven picks were going to be defense. It just fell that way."

tenor.gif

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 5

Really Scot?? You couldn't help yourself from taking a shot..

Rhule said the same thing Scot..

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

To be fair, Rhule said they were looking at taking an offensive guy multiple times, but was taken 3-4 picks ahead of us. I went back and found 3 rounds where a guard was taken within that range before our pick. 

• Pie 1

I think it makes a lot of sense actually. You increase the odds of creating dominating units by double dipping. Those units mask other areas of the team, especially  on the line. 

Would be scary if we went all offense next year. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)

Watched his interview on the Panthers website and that is his story.  What I took notice to was that he wants to trade in every draft.  He even admits that he has to.  Think about that for a minute.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Watched his interview on the Panthers website and that is his story.  What I took notice to was that he wants to trade in every draft.  He even admits that he has to.  Think about that for a minute.

That's weird to go into it wanting to do that, no?  Did he say the reasoning?

Just now, PantherBoy95 said:

That's weird to go into it wanting to do that, no?  Did he say the reasoning?

He just stated that he has to.  Explains why he gets taken advantage of by other GM's.  He telegraphs his pick and is easily manipulated into making stupid trades.

• Flames 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

He just stated that he has to.  Explains why he gets taken advantage of by other GM's.  He telegraphs his pick and is easily manipulated into making stupid trades.

Haha yeah, I could be reading too much into it but it just sounds very impulsive. 
What if we're perfectly fine in our draft positioning, is he just trading out of sheer excitement? 

Luckily there is more than one man involved in that final decision I'd assume.

16 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Really Scot?? You couldn't help yourself from taking a shot..

Rhule said the same thing Scot..

Who said this was a shot at Hurney?

I think it was Brian Billick that said "a lot of teams follow their board instead of drafting for need.  But its amazing how many times players at need positions end up with a slightly higher grade than they should have."

7 minutes ago, PantherBoy95 said:

Haha yeah, I could be reading too much into it but it just sounds very impulsive. 
What if we're perfectly fine in our draft positioning, is he just trading out of sheer excitement? 

Luckily there is more than one man involved in that final decision I'd assume.

You should watch the interview.

When will Rhule, Hurney and the top rooms have their virtual press conference? 

Covid19 may be a blessing in disguise for the future of this franchise. Best draft we ever had top to bottom. Feels like they went by game tapes, not measurable and combine. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I found that odd as well. He mentioned it is one of his goals to make at least one trade every draft. The problem is he is terrible at getting the correct value on draft trades. I loved the Chinn pick but he traded away the 2nd pick in the 5th round to move 5 spots.