Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobowilson

Prediction: Any busts from this draft will be credited towards Hurney, any stars will be attributed to Rhule

The real point of this thread though is to debate, who was in charge of this draft?

The video posted today shows Hurney reflecting on all of his draft picks and his thoughts when he was making the decision seem to indicate he was firmly in control of the process.

Unless we believe Hurney is a skilled liar.

This is how it works, GMs are the scapegoats of the organization and fans fall for it all the time

It’s like that with whoever fans hate. Jake would get picked off and it was all his fault. He’d get strip sacked and it was all his fault. Any TD pass saw all the credit go to the receiver. It’s all part of how many fans are willfully ignorant of reality. 

I don't think past drafts were ever solely Hurney or not Hurney, but this draft does seem a marked departure from any draft he's overseen as GM in the past, so I would say at a minimum Rhule has heavily influenced his decision making process from the past, if not outright gained true final say.

You say bump in a year and then 2 years. Are you willing to do that if Hurney is no longer employed here but future drafts look awfully similar to this one in terms of approach?

well...yea Rhule just got a 7 year deal and hurney has been on the ropes for awhile 

GMs pick players to fit the coaches scheme/culture. If they are on the same page like they have claimed then I don't see how any one gets all the fault/glory unless the fans just don't know how it works...

...oh wait now I see it

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I don't think past drafts were ever solely Hurney or not Hurney, but this draft does seem a marked departure from any draft he's overseen as GM in the past, so I would say at a minimum Rhule has heavily influenced his decision making process from the past, if not outright gained true final say.

You say bump in a year and then 2 years. Are you willing to do that if Hurney is no longer employed here but future drafts look awfully similar to this one in terms of approach?

It looks different because its a different head coach who wants different qualities in the types of players he wants.  Its obvious Rhule wants high motor guys who play violently.  I think Rivera wanted project guys in the later rounds to sit behind vets till theyre ready to play.  

Psychic Huddler.  It is eerie.

Hurney had input based off character of the player and the previous strategy but the final say was Rhule. If Rhule was wavering he probably asked Hurney to help make the decision, probably later rounds and therefore choosing multiple similar positions and small school players. I don’t see anyone to blame in this draft honestly with all the outliers that made it a far from traditional process prior to the draft. 

Nope. Any bad picks and once the “L” starts to pile up, I will want Rhule out. And then turning my focus on Tepper. I hate Tepper and I would love to eat crow. Rhule is on my short leash. Love the draft but not trusting in him fully yet. 

2 hours ago, bobowilson said:

The real point of this thread though is to debate, who was in charge of this draft?

The video posted today shows Hurney reflecting on all of his draft picks and his thoughts when he was making the decision seem to indicate he was firmly in control of the process.

Unless we believe Hurney is a skilled liar.

The Huddle believes Hurney simultaneously has no power and is also the reason for everything wrong with the Panthers

2 minutes ago, TN05 said:

The Huddle believes Hurney simultaneously has no power and is also the reason for everything wrong with the Panthers

And what do you believe Einstein?

With the Redskins crazy all over the place draft makes me realize that Rivera was calling a lot of the shots in the past drafts