Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
AU-panther

If Bridgwater is anythign less than elite, the front office screwed up

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I'd say the same about WRs and DTs. Before Moore (and hopefully Brown), Hurney's track record at those two positions was absolutely atrocious.

Are you trying to tell me Kerry Colbert isn't really a Panthers Legend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Bridgewater has only started 34 games in the league. He isn't going to be elite this year but he is the best option of the choices mentioned by the OP. At 20 millions it isn't expensive to keep him and no way keeps us from drafting someone else next year. Right now it is a win-win for everyone still not butthurt over releasing Cam.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

we be happy with back-to-back playoffs... 

Ron Rivera would like to have a word with you :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CanadianCat said:

Ron Rivera would like to have a word with you :tongue:

Lol technically we actually have had back-to-back playoffs under Rivera but not back-to-back winning seasons, interestingly enough...:thinking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will note that 2009 and 2010 were notoriously awful QB classes and plenty scouts identified the red flags with Jimmy. 

And even though Jerry set up 2010 for a dud season with Fox as a lame duck coach, there weren't many young options either.  Those were prime years that helped build the team that we eventually had around Cam with a decent OL at least starting out.  Colt McCoy, Sanchez, McGee, The Golden Calf of Bristol, just god awful QBs in the drafts those years/Jake's twilight.  Moore and Carr were better bets but yes, those were dark times.  Before the dabbing.    

Even in 2008 where we could have stayed ahead of it in finding a successor, there was basically Flacco and Ryan.  The rest? Brian Brohm, Chadd Henne, Kevin O'Connell.  It's just an absolute crapshoot even high in the draft picks 1-40.    QBs don't grow on trees but you can't just hedge your bets on a high pick.  Just look at all these classes in retrospect. 

  • There's the rare UDFA's who become starters (Romo, Delhommes of the world).  We just witnessed what happens when you throw one in that's not necessarily a starter caliber. 
  • The occasional successful mid to late rounders (Brady, Wilson, Dak, Jimmy G, Dalton, Cousins, Minshew)
  • The highly drafted (1st rounders) but bigger risks/rewards (Watson, Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Rodgers, Tannehill)
  • Then these top of draft class types (Winston, Ryan, Trubiski, Stafford, Mayfield, Murray, Goff)

I dunno but I'm not getting all bent out of shape if we don't get a top-3 pick next year.  We basically just got #2-4 overall in getting Derrick Brown at 7.  

I'd like to think there's some decent 1st round talent at the QB spot beyond this blonde haired dude that be the starter on a SB squad.  There's some really interesting athletic QBs incoming with huge upside.  We've got some interesting options on the horizon and most people should recognize Teddy B isn't long term.   Just relax about not getting Lawrence.  D focus this year, O focus next to build around CMC/Moore.   

 

 

 

  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Burrows in the right system, just won a national championship.  Is he the great QB that can take Cincy to great heights?

Teddy could be the good, not great, QB, that in the right system can do really well.  Remains to be seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mister said:

Wait until after the season and you will see how wrong you are . Teddy is elite 

Elite.... well see bet def. Good enough to get us to the playoffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, now our $20M starting QB has to be elite or it is an awful deal, because two guys who are closer to being out of the league than they are to being elite at this point took next to nothing to be backups.  One trying to finish his career on an upnote behind a $31M starter, the other trying to resurrect his as an understudy. 

Where exactly does that place the bar for Dak Prescott at over $31M a year?  And that was based on the Cowboys tagging him.

I have a flat spot in my forehead from slapping it, due to some of the thinking I read here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, davos said:

I will note that 2009 and 2010 were notoriously awful QB classes and plenty scouts identified the red flags with Jimmy. 

And even though Jerry set up 2010 for a dud season with Fox as a lame duck coach, there weren't many young options either.  Those were prime years that helped build the team that we eventually had around Cam with a decent OL at least starting out.  Colt McCoy, Sanchez, McGee, The Golden Calf of Bristol, just god awful QBs in the drafts those years/Jake's twilight.  Moore and Carr were better bets but yes, those were dark times.  Before the dabbing.    

Even in 2008 where we could have stayed ahead of it in finding a successor, there was basically Flacco and Ryan.  The rest? Brian Brohm, Chadd Henne, Kevin O'Connell.  It's just an absolute crapshoot even high in the draft picks 1-40.    QBs don't grow on trees but you can't just hedge your bets on a high pick.  Just look at all these classes in retrospect. 

  • There's the rare UDFA's who become starters (Romo, Delhommes of the world).  We just witnessed what happens when you throw one in that's not necessarily a starter caliber. 
  • The occasional successful mid to late rounders (Brady, Wilson, Dak, Jimmy G, Dalton, Cousins, Minshew)
  • The highly drafted (1st rounders) but bigger risks/rewards (Watson, Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Rodgers, Tannehill)
  • Then these top of draft class types (Winston, Ryan, Trubiski, Stafford, Mayfield, Murray, Goff)

I dunno but I'm not getting all bent out of shape if we don't get a top-3 pick next year.  We basically just got #2-4 overall in getting Derrick Brown at 7.  

I'd like to think there's some decent 1st round talent at the QB spot beyond this blonde haired dude that be the starter on a SB squad.  There's some really interesting athletic QBs incoming with huge upside.  We've got some interesting options on the horizon and most people should recognize Teddy B isn't long term.   Just relax about not getting Lawrence.  D focus this year, O focus next to build around CMC/Moore.   

 

 

 

Funny thing is Bridgewater was a first round draft choice. And before he had a  terrible pro day, he was predicted to be the first quarterback taken in the draft. Interesting story.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2045751-from-first-overall-to-free-falling-what-happened-to-teddy-bridgewater

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, stirs said:

Teddy came back from injury to run the New Orleans offense with precision.  I figure we will have somewhat the same type of offense as far as scheme.  Our coaches got him to run the offense, hope for an incredible performance, but knows that we will probably pick our QB next season and he can sit while Teddy runs it for the 2nd season.  Then I understand, it is cheaper to let Teddy go after 2 seasons.

Not that difficult to surmise

The question becomes, if Teddy ran it with such precision knowing that this is Bridges last year, why no adjustments to keep him off the market 

Edited by raleigh-panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Funny thing is Bridgewater was a first round draft choice. And before he had a  terrible pro day, he was predicted to be the first quarterback taken in the draft. Interesting story.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2045751-from-first-overall-to-free-falling-what-happened-to-teddy-bridgewater

Teddy had been criticized for wearing gloves. He made a bad call to ditch the gloves during his pro day.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, If Teddy plays well, that contract we gave him is looking very team friendly. and if it doesn't go to plan, we can easily get out of it.

 

I disagree OP

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that are saying elite QBs make a lot more that $20m, here is a question, are you happy paying an average QB $20m?

To me that is the whole point here, you either pay a really good QB a lot of money or you go cheap.

How many more wins does he get us over someone like Dalton, or Winston, or Cam?

Did we overpay for TB?  Who else would have signed him for that amount?  Did we misjudge the QB market, like we did the WR market?

I like TB and I think there is a very good chance for him to play well in our system.  I'm just not a fan of paying someone for what I hope they become.  I have the same attitude towards the draft, I'm not going to draft a guy hoping his production becomes better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

For those that are saying elite QBs make a lot more that $20m, here is a question, are you happy paying an average QB $20m?

To me that is the whole point here, you either pay a really good QB a lot of money or you go cheap.

How many more wins does he get us over someone like Dalton, or Winston, or Cam?

Did we overpay for TB?  Who else would have signed him for that amount?  Did we misjudge the QB market, like we did the WR market?

I like TB and I think there is a very good chance for him to play well in our system.  I'm just not a fan of paying someone for what I hope they become.  I have the same attitude towards the draft, I'm not going to draft a guy hoping his production becomes better.

If you want a starting caliber QB with upside, you have to pay.

 

its a team friendly deal. We end up with a bargain if he plays well, and we can get out of the contract quickly with little dead money down the line if he doesn't  

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      20,545
    • Most Online
      3,693

    Newest Member
    The_Mr_Snrub
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      149,223
    • Total Posts
      4,974,398
  • Posts

    • Take this stuff to the TB. Our COVID response (or lack thereof) clearly has unavoidable political tie-ins, but the course of this conversation is pure TB territory.
    • The Washington Why Can't We Say That Words
    • I am a Cam fan, big time, but I do believe with all that transpired, it was time to move on. I only think they moved on because of Teddy being available, having Brady as the OC who knew Teddy and not knowing if Cam can return close to what he was. Also factoring in that if you sink a large sum of cap space to one player, then 4 to 5 guys can take up half your cap when you need to sign 53 players.  The past problems is not Rivera, not even Hurney but with Richardson. He ruled and ran the team/company. All moves are OK'd from the top, including over paying on a player. Gentlemen was the first to challenge that and start to do things different and helped get us close to winning a SB.  Everything Jourdan is saying is true as Cam is not injury prone, just had a couple of bad injuries. Heck, he was in a car crash, broke 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game. He's a freaking machine. If we won the SB or even the 1st game in 2016 in Denver (which was bullshit the hits Cam took), this team and where it goes from there is different.  It was time, with a new staff and a system that's not entirely about a specific player, it's the next step to building a long term winner, year after year.  I really like and support the common sense approach Tepper is taking. He's been successful in business and has been around the football business side with the Steelers. He's spending money on the little things that help build consistency, like a practice dome, etc. In 2 years you will all be happily jumping on the train. 
  • Masters of PIE !

×
×
  • Create New...