Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
electro's horse

jamal adams to the panthers for a 2nd who says no

In a vaccum, sure, Jamal Adams is almost certainly going to be better than our 2021 2nd round draft pick. But my inclination is no. We just invested a fair amount in safeties this offseason whom we should be excited about. As a rebuilding team, we need to give our young guys a chance to shine. If you bring in Adams, you're probably starting him and Boston, leaving Chinn on the bench who should be starting, and Kenny Robinson with little opportunity to see the field behind Chinn and Burriss. You're also inheriting Adams and his disgruntled contract situation. While he's got 2 years including the 5th year option, he's given all indications he's not happy to play that out and is almost certainly going to be looking to reset the safety market. Safety isn't an area where it's usually wise to tie up a bunch of your cap, particularly when you've got several areas that need shoring up already.

Meanwhile, we give up a likely high 2nd round pick who should be an impact day 1 starter at a cheap 4 year contract. We have lots of positions we could upgrade there particularly in 2021 with a bunch of contracts coming off the books.

Personally I don't know that it makes a bunch of sense. The Jets will want a first but if no one is offering that I would think they'd probably take what they assume will be a high 2nd from us over keeping a disgruntled Adams. So why I think it might be enough to get him, I don't think it's the best thing for our team as its constructed now.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

no, this team is the 2010 panthers at best. save draft capital for next year if we need to make a move for a big player 

Fify XD

Price is / will be a first+. 

• Pie 2

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure we will have a top 10 pick again if not top 5, no thnx (if there’s a season)

Edited by onmyown

The Jets says no

They wanted more than a 1st this year.  Amd will have suiters for Adams now.  Not a chance we could get him for a 2nd

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I like our situation at S right now--I think we added 2 in the draft that will be starting in a year or so, along with some North Carolina boys (State, UNC).

Exactly. We resigned Boston, signed Burris, drafted Chinn and Robinson and now people want us to trade pick 33 for another safety when we need a QB and OL so much more?

Never pay big for someone else's star safety. It's the least valuable non ST player on the field. Draft your own or pick up journeymen who can simply play deep center field or assist in run defense.

If you develop a great one, keep them, but never have them as one of the top five paid players on the team.

58 minutes ago, Mister said:

We should but we wont

We shouldn’t and we won’t. It would be an awful move since S appears to have solid guys now and a bright future. We have 1 OL starter (an expensive Paradis at that) signed past 2020 and you want to spend $18M a year and a very high, hopefully 33, 2nd round pick? Yeah, no thanks. I’ll hope Chinn and Robinson are solid down the road and cheap as hell.

lol nope, this defense will be stout in 3-4 years with the youth movement now. control the clock methodically, keeps our defense off the field and the opponents defense on the field.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:40 PM, Waldo said:

I doubt the Jets would let him go for less than a 1st and I am completely against giving up a top 5 pick regardless of how good and young he is. 

A 2nd would be a tempting situation. Would they take a 3rd if we gave them Boston? 

I like the two safeties we drafted this year and want to see if they live up to expectations.

Hello no they wouldn't take a 3rd.  Dude is absolutely worth a 1st rounder, so we'd be committing highway robbery if we got him for a 2nd. 

Not saying I disagree with your statement about actually TRADING a 1st for him, but he's absolutely worth one.

• Pie 1

Dude is 24 and one of the best ~fifteen players in the league. Everyone’s answer to OP’s question should be “yes!”

The Jets’ however, would be “hell no, we’ll take [and get from someone] a 1st+”

• Pie 2

Without knowing how the cap situation is going to play out, his 18-20m contract could seriously hurt the team financially and limit the ability to sign anyone in FA. We are too many missing pieces away right now to do that, even if we could get Adams for a 2nd.