Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
The Huddler

Perspective

Teddy had good pocket awareness and we gave up no sacks .  Thats a win win for game 1 . We got the first look at our team and a new coach who took the blame for a loss . We knew it would be a tough season so lets see how we improve .

13 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Perspective: The Panthers are currently on a 9 game losing streak and just lost to one of the most beatable teams on their schedule this year.

speaking of perspective, yours seems to be very narrowed.

not like a new regime has been implemented across the board and you know, a global pandemic that has shut down the world.  Theres a whole lot thats happened since that 8th game to continue that "streak". 

go order a pizza 

• Beer 1

This was arguably the 3rd or 4th easiest game in the schedule, at home, and we lost. I do agree the future is bright, though. I really like Brady’s scheme. I just think we need a different guy running it. 

13 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

speaking of perspective, yours seems to be very narrowed.

not like a new regime has been implemented across the board and you know, a global pandemic that has shut down the world.  Theres a whole lot thats happened since that 8th game to continue that "streak". 

go order a pizza 

A loss is a loss. Doesn’t matter if it’s by 1 point or 100, who is the coach, or who the players are. Goes down on the stat sheet the same way. 

My perspective will start to change once they start winning a few games. I have a bad feeling this is a 2-3 win squad this year, so forgive me for not being super thrilled about that. I’ve watched a massive amount of Panthers football over the last 20 years or so, and I know a bad team when I see it. This might be the most exciting bad team the Panthers have ever fielded though, so there’s that!

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

@Jeremy Igo  Just saw your pinned thread and thank you for addressing former fans causing problems, but you also need to address current ones that start the whole debate of Cam vs Teddy with posts similar to the first reply to this thread.

It was a legitimate question and I was genuinely curious, it was relative to putting things into ‘perspective’ for a lot of fans -would you rather I create a thread on it?

Here is an idea stop whining like a bitch and avoid threads, posts and put users you’re too fragile to handle on ignore like a big boy.

This team is most definitely going to win a few games this year they are not supposed to, but they are also going to get blown the hell out in some. 

I was impressed with Teddy. If our defense improves, we’ll be in the playoff race.

With the rooks, changes and no preseason, I think it will take 3-4 games to where we are able to see what we really have.  There were some positives.  

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, onmyown said:

The cam fanboys gave him every excuse in the book, literally every single one. But Teddy gets none, no ‘controversies’, nothing, nada.

Why?

Its not excuses, its frustration. The receiving corps we trotted out yesterday was better than anything we had for 9 years of Cam. Why? Why did we immediately pair our new QB with a new innovative young mind OC but for 7 years Cam had a 1970s nepotism OC and a 70 year old

im more so frustrated that we never did the things we did for Teddy for Cam even though Cam was the superior player and had the higher ceiling

as bad as our defense is though the more and more it makes sense that we let Cam go, because Cam will be 35 by the time we are able to put a formidable defense on the field 

i dont think Teddy is a bad QB at all, but he will never be able to carry an offense by himself like Cam and will need to always be surrounded by talented skill players, which means our defense is going to have to be built with solid drafting not just in the first 2 rounds and good free agent signings, which I dont think any reasonable person thinks Hurney is capable of.

The prior regime knew they could pour all resources into the defense and just having Cam on offense would be enough to score more points than our defense should allow. It ALMOST got us a Super Bowl

With Teddy were going to have to have playmakers all over the field on offense to score points and with the way the defense looks it probably wont be enough most games. So its going to take building a balanced and talented roster on both sides of the ball to be a contending team, and the biggest issue right now is we have a GM that really has not been able to do that most of the time

Edited by KillaCamNewton

Just now, KillaCamNewton said:

Its not excuses, its frustration. The receiving corps we trotted out yesterday was better than anything we had for 9 years of Cam. Why? Why did we immediately pair our new QB with a new innovative young mind OC but for 7 years Cam had a 1970s nepotism OC and a 70 year old

im more so frustrated that we never did the things we did for Teddy for Cam even though Cam was the superior player and had the higher ceiling

as bad as our defense is though the more and more it makes sense that we let Cam go, because Cam will be 35 by the time we are able to put a formidable defense on the field 

It feels almost as if the Cam era was under a different head coach.  

• Beer 2

Yes, I saw plenty of reasons for optimism yesterday too.

I mean, when you look at all the factors going into this season, all the inexperience and turnover, and then add covid and the resulting reduction in preparation on top of everything, I'd say we played shockingly well. Could have very well won it.

The defense is going to take time, but that was always going to be the case.

379lzy.jpg

Edit: And it was a fun game to boot.

Edited by run-run-pass-punt

28 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

i dont think Teddy is a bad QB at all, but he will never be able to carry an offense by himself like Cam and will need to always be surrounded by talented skill players, which means our defense is going to have to be built with solid drafting not just in the first 2 rounds and good free agent signings, which I dont think any reasonable person thinks Hurney is capable of.

The prior regime knew they could pour all resources into the defense and just having Cam on offense would be enough to score more points than our defense should allow. It ALMOST got us a Super Bowl

With Teddy were going to have to have playmakers all over the field on offense to score points and with the way the defense looks it probably wont be enough most games. So its going to take building a balanced and talented roster on both sides of the ball to be a contending team, and the biggest issue right now is we have a GM that really has not been able to do that most of the time

Spilled milk and all that. Just because we managed the Cam era poorly doesn't mean we should continue to make the same mistakes now that he's gone.

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Spilled milk and all that. Just because we managed the Cam era poorly doesn't mean we should continue to make the same mistakes now that he's gone.

No where did I say that. My point is now that we dont have one guy that can single handedly carry an offense were going to actually have to build a balanced and talented roster on both sides of the ball - my worry is that Hurney isnt capable of doing that

if we had even a mediocre defense i think we could win 10 games because we have the pieces on offense to score a lot of points. Basically our offense the first half of last season with Kyle Allen but without the costly fumbles

defense is gonna get drummed all year, everyone knew this going into the season

offense might win us some games though

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

No where did I say that. My point is now that we dont have one guy that can single handedly carry an offense were going to actually have to build a balanced and talented roster on both sides of the ball - my worry is that Hurney isnt capable of doing that

That is a valid concern.  The daylight I see on that subject is that I don't know how much control he has of that anymore.  I got the impression this past draft was more driven by Rhule than Hurney.  Mostly because we did not trade up in the second or third round to draft someone everybody else had as a sixth round pick, combined with a definite strategy to the picks.  Hurney could not be accused of any of that.

The team is young.  The team is also not complete.  People expecting or demanding wins right now are, well, delusional.  We all knew, or should have known, that when stopped chasing the idea we were only a couple of pieces away faded, it was going to mean turning the page and starting over.  Here we are.

Given the fact they we have limited experience, limited talent at a number of positions, and have had limited chance to work as a team thus far, yesterday could have been a whole lot worse. 

Imagine being in Cleveland this morning!  We need to be patient.  I have no idea what they have to do.