Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

Rewind a few months...

Boston, I'm fine with. $6 million per year (avg) is reasonable for a veteran safety, especially when we didn't have any other answers on the roster, and the market wasn't exactly teeming. And he's got a lot of energy that rubs off on the players around him. And our weak ass secondary could use any spark of energy we can give it.

Shaq at $12M a year? Hell no.

I think both moves were precipitated by a significant starter leaving and wanting to retain some of the corps. Again, Boston I get, because otherwise you're starting an entirely new safety duo.

Extending Shaq, I can't explain at all except sheer panic when Luke retired.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Captroop said:

Boston, I'm fine with. $6 million per year (avg) is reasonable for a veteran safety, especially when we didn't have any other answers on the roster, and the market wasn't exactly teeming. And he's got a lot of energy that rubs off on the players around him. And our weak ass secondary could use any spark of energy we can give it.

Shaq at $12M a year? Hell no.

I think both moves were precipitated by a significant starter leaving and wanting to retain some of the corps. Again, Boston I get, because otherwise you're starting an entirely new safety duo.

Extending Shaq, I can't explain at all except sheer panic when Luke retired.

The extended Shaq before Luke retired, which gave rise to the speculation that he talked to them about his thinking before the season ended (well, officially ended, it had long been over before then and the schedule pretended there were more games).  But timing aside, you are right....it was almost like Hurney decided if we pay him a truckload of money, he will be worth a truckload of money.

That "reality is what we say it is" thing is dangerous.  Especially to a guy like Hurney, who seems convinced he can find diamonds in the rough while there is a lot of coal piled in his office.

• Beer 2

19 hours ago, Paintballr said:

D-line covers and make the back 7 look a lot better. 

Front 4 are god awful. Throw in that 2 starters were/are out, we don’t have a sack in the league,  and we can’t stop the run, it’s going to make those back 7 look really really bad. 

Luke is one of my favorite players ever, is a HoF, but he would even look out of place and look bad this year 

This ^^^^^^^^

20 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Knowing what we know now, should Hurney have extended Shaq and Tre?

Knowing what we know now, Hurney should have never been the person to make those decisions.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Knowing what we know now, Hurney should have never been the person to make those decisions.

Yeah but we also knew that before he made those decisions.

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Knowing what we know now, should Hurney have extended Shaq and Tre?

Shaq yeah. He'd be playing better now if Whitehead was only half as good as advertised. 

Tre... going into the season I thought we needed that continuity in secondary. He might be wise to the game and a willing tackler, but he is just way, way, way slower than he was last year. It's like something was riding on his back, perhaps its Father Time.

20 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Plenty of people said that at the time too(I was one). In hindsight, they did actually have the length about right for a player like CMC. If injuries start robbing significant time(which they have now), then it will obviously look much, much worse.

Dude sprains an ankle and everyone is now thinking his contract will kill us and that he's worthless. Bunch of "sky is falling" pansies on the board. Jeez, panic much folks?

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, thefuzz said:

You don't need to use hindsight, it was plain as day when it happened.

Extending an off ball linbacker to a top contract before you even know what defense you are going to run is next level dumbassery.

We gotta get that LB paid and now!!!!!.....what about our best O lineman who is still young and healthy?....don't have time for that, I'm just trying to assemble the best 53 I can......Well, what about Bradberry instead of Shaq?  He plays the much harder position to fill, and have you looked at our division?.....The Carolina Panthers are about Linebackers and RunningBacks.....GOT [email protected]@!!!!

Who was our best young O-lineman who was still young and healthy? Just checking, because I didn't see one. Moton was fair to middling at best last year and he was the best of the bunch, which is no real praise.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Who was our best young O-lineman who was still young and healthy? Just checking, because I didn't see one. Moton was fair to middling at best last year and he was the best of the bunch, which is no real praise.

Extension talks should have started with Moton last season, and at the very least, this past offseason.

Hurney couldn't be worried with that though, as he was trying to "put together the very best 53 man roster" in this dumpster fire.

Had we signed him this past offseason, we would have gotten his prime, and been done with the contract before he turned 30/31.

We need offensive linemen bad, and Moton is a good one, not great, but good...put some legit talent around him and he is very good.

Dumb Team.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Extension talks should have started with Moton last season, and at the very least, this past offseason.

Hurney couldn't be worried with that though, as he was trying to "put together the very best 53 man roster" in this dumpster fire.

Had we signed him this past offseason, we would have gotten his prime, and been done with the contract before he turned 30/31.

We need offensive linemen bad, and Moton is a good one, not great, but good...put some legit talent around him and he is very good.

Dumb Team.

Instead we decided to spend money one two positions that have some of the lowest impacts on winning in the NFL. A standard Hurney move.

• Pie 1

Both Tre's and Shaq's contracts were inevitable with all the change. With Luke retiring what did we have beside Shaq? Clearly Whitehead isn't the answer and we have Carter for the other position. A lot of Jags. So Shaq was the veteran we needed and he wasn't going to stay for free.  Tre is much the same. He isn't great as a player because he is undisciplined but he is a leader of the secondary and guys like Jackson have talent but is he a leader? I don't know. But some guys you sign for potential or athleticism, other guys you sign for leadership and decent skills. Is Tre a long term solution? I hope we can do better. And this coaching staff can improve the defense 

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Both Tre's and Shaq's contracts were inevitable with all the change. With Luke retiring what did we have beside Shaq? Clearly Whitehead isn't the answer and we have Carter for the other position. A lot of Jags. So Shaq was the veteran we needed and he wasn't going to stay for free.  Tre is much the same. He isn't great as a player because he is undisciplined but he is a leader of the secondary and guys like Jackson have talent but is he a leader? I don't know. But some guys you sign for potential or athleticism, other guys you sign for leadership and decent skills. Is Tre a long term solution? I hope we can do better. And this coaching staff can improve the defense 

Ron? Is that you?

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Ron? Is that you?

I admit I like veterans over rookies and like having leaders on the youngest defense in the league. Let's be real here, if you would have gotten rid of both of them do you really think we could have done better in this environment and situation where you couldn't even bring guys in for physicals? Teams paid their own because that is who they had and in our case we had so.many new guys and rookies we needed to sign a few veterans at key places. What part of that is a problem?

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I admit I like veterans over rookies and like having leaders on the youngest defense in the league. Let's be real here, if you would have gotten rid of both of them do you really think we could have done better in this environment and situation where you couldn't even bring guys in for physicals? Teams paid their own because that is who they had and in our case we had so.many new guys and rookies we needed to sign a few veterans at key places. What part of that is a problem?

Well it isn't like we assembled a fantastic team and in Shaq's case it is a contract we will be dealing with for far too long. We could have probably done better than Tre and wouldn't be saddled with another overpaid underperformer in Shaq. 

I don't even think Shaq is trash but part of this rebuild needs to be avoiding the same mistakes we have made for years that got us where we are now.

10 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but we also knew that before he made those decisions.

We knew that before JR hired him to replace Nippleshorts.

• Beer 1